• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CSX Conductor

shadyjay wrote:Also I heard that when it left for Albany, the "F40PH" was leading!
The original plan was for the train to operate push-pull with the F40 at the opposite end of the train. However there were train-line issues and it was not possible to run the train push-pull.
  by hi55us

As 2011 comes to a close, does anyone know what Amtrak is going to do with the train? It would be nice to have it stationed permanently as a museum.
  by Tadman

I think it's going to do rotations of established railroad museums for a period of time like 2 months each for the next year or two. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I heard.
  by Station Aficionado

It's still on tour through the end of January (Ft. Worth, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, New Orleans). Not sure of plans beyond that.
  by ThirdRail7

Tadman wrote:I think it's going to do rotations of established railroad museums for a period of time like 2 months each for the next year or two. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I heard.
The 40th Anniversary train will continue its journey for the duration of the anniversary calendar year. After that, the disposition of the equipment will be determined.
  by afiggatt

Station Aficionado wrote:It's still on tour through the end of January (Ft. Worth, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, New Orleans). Not sure of plans beyond that.
Since it has basically done a counterclockwise loop around the US starting from DC, it will likely make stops along the Crescent route, FL, NC, and VA - not necessarily in that order. Maybe a tour stop at a possible future FEC station location? Will the 1 year tour end at DC on National Train Day?
  by ThirdRail7

afiggatt wrote:
Station Aficionado wrote:Will the 1 year tour end at DC on National Train Day?
That is what the team behind the train is hoping for. A lot of things depend on availability of equipment. The baggage cars might need to be pressed into service, the 406 will return to NPCU service and the anniversary store car is awaiting conversion to a coach.
  by Noel Weaver

Today (Saturday, Feb.25th) I had an opportunity to tour the 40th Anniversary Train at the Miami/Hialeah station. I enjoy my visit very much and urge anybody on here who has not visited this train to do it if you ever get a chance. As I understand it the train is headed tomorrow (Sunday, Feb. 26th) on train 98 to Washington, DC for servicing and then it is off to Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte and Charleston before heading to the midwest. Look for an announcement of a big move with this train later this year in the northeast, don't have the dates as yet.
Noel Weaver
  by ryanov

No stop at all in New York? A little weird, eh?
  by Jishnu

According to the Director of National Operations of Amtrak, the 40th Anniversary Train will be at Grand Central Terminal in New York on NTD 2012. He mentioned this in course of his presentation at the ESPA Annual Meeting in Schenectady on last Saturday.
  by MattW

Anyone heard anything about an Atlanta stop?
  by hi55us

Jishnu wrote:According to the Director of National Operations of Amtrak, the 40th Anniversary Train will be at Grand Central Terminal in New York on NTD 2012. He mentioned this in course of his presentation at the ESPA Annual Meeting in Schenectady on last Saturday.
Great!

Woulden't it be great if they route some Empire service trains into GCT on NTD so they could go right to the Amtrak exhibit (I know, really shooting for the stars here)
  by jcepler1

hi55us wrote:
Woulden't it be great if they route some Empire service trains into GCT on NTD so they could go right to the Amtrak exhibit (I know, really shooting for the stars here)
Empire Service trains can't run into GCT in regular service, since Amtrak/LIRR 3rd rail and Metro-North 3rd rail are incompatible. Would confuse the passengers anyway.

For Amtrak trains to get into GCT for National Train Day, they will have to go up the Hell Gate Line from Penn Station, pull north of Shell Interlocking, attach to a Metro-North dual-mode engine, and get pushed into Grand Central. (also I guess they could go up the Hudson Line also, doesn't really matter).

If Metro-North ever wants to get Hudson Line trains into Penn Station via the Empire Connection, they will need locomotives that can work on the Amtrak/LIRR 3rd rail, or both types.
  by njtmnrrbuff

The rerouting of the Empire Service trains to GCT, while it would be nice, doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the 40th Anniversary Train will be held there. I don't think regular passengers would be too happy about their train being rerouted because of an exhibit train.

What would be interesting is photographing the 40th Anniversary Train on the way to and from the terminal.