• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by chuchubob

The Exhibit Train is back at Penn Coach Yard, with NPCU AMTK 406 on the north end.
  by Pensyfan19

Could this train be repurposed as a display train for Amtrak's 50th anniversary? With the addition of an extra baggage car or amfleet for Amtrak's recent history for the past decade?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 pm Could this train be repurposed as a display train for Amtrak's 50th anniversary? With the addition of
an extra baggage car or amfleet for Amtrak's recent history for the past decade?
A few extra displays could work to cover the 2011-2021 decade: ACS-64s, Viewliners, next gen HST, new Siemens fleet and also some highlights on station renovations and state partnerships in recent years.
  by Backshophoss

The train is a Heritage Fleet consist with a sleeper and Amfleet(food service) car as the "Gift Shop",NPCU 406 last used on DE service has F=59 gen-set HEP pallet.
Unknown if there're spare running gear parts or a Heritage Bag to add display space/spare parts
  by ApproachMedium

With the way amtrak is going there wont be a 50th anniversary!
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Approach, even though your material posted here infers that you are with the outfit, I think a more reasonable statement would be that Amtrak could well allow May 1, 2021 - the 50th Anniversary - to go unobserved.

In short, it could easily be like the departure of #235 a 1205A "Clocker" to Philly on A-Day, where I highly doubt it any passengers, and likely the PC crew as well, were aware they were riding the "first Amtrak train".
  by NY&LB

In short, it could easily be like the departure of #235 a 1205A "Clocker" to Philly on A-Day, where I highly doubt it any passengers, and likely the PC crew as well, were aware they were riding the "first Amtrak train".
Said train IS listed in AMTRAK TT dated May 1, 1971 (table 4 New York - Philadelphia).

The SECOND train would have been #1200-070 from Grand Central Terminal to Springfield at 4:40 am, also likely no passengers and a PC crew.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Just dream for the moment.

Imagine that, for 235(01MAY71), four or so P-85h's could have been rounded up and liveried in some kind of Amtrak colors; same for a G. Aboard would have been a uniformed Amtrak rep to answer questions and pass out propaganda.

Whoops, just woke up. :P :P
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Arborwayfan

I would not invest any time or money in preparing for any kind of public event to happen as soon as next May, especially one whose basic idea is to invite people to file through a museum train as a kind of general advertising, maybe hoping to recoup some of the cost through a gift shop. It's so likely to still be a lousy idea to bring people together like that next spring that I would not do it if I were in charge, regardless of my feelings about Amtrak and its history. Also I like the idea that the 50th looks forward. Or maybe the 51st looks forward. :-)