• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Adams_Umass_Boston

BostonUrbEx wrote:What exactly is this train doing/all about? and when does it come to Boston?
August 6-7. I will be there.

more of the schedule below
http://www.amtrak40th.com/exhibit-train
  by hi55us

The anniversary train was parked in New Haven this morning, looked great!
  by kitn1mcc

The Folks who put these cars Together did a Awsome job nice to see old iron out there looking good
  by SwingMan

Great train, from the train itself to the crew. Was a pleasure working for them if any are out there!
  by Noel Weaver

One thing that has not been mentioned here at least so far is the book "Amtrak An American Story". It is a soft cover book with good quality paper, 144 pages, lots of very interesting photos and well worth the $19.95 selling price. There is a lot of human interest stuff in this book but that is to be expected in a book of this nature. I am about half way through it and thought some comments would be in order at this point.
One last thing, I had been told that this book would only be available direct from Amtrak through the display train or by mail order but I lucked out and found a copy in my nearby hobby shop. I highly recommend this book and I think most on here will enjoy reading the stuff in it.
Noel Weaver
  by CSX Conductor

Noel Weaver wrote:One thing that has not been mentioned here at least so far is the book "Amtrak An American Story". It is a soft cover book with good quality paper, 144 pages, lots of very interesting photos and well worth the $19.95 selling price. There is a lot of human interest stuff in this book but that is to be expected in a book of this nature. I am about half way through it and thought some comments would be in order at this point.
One last thing, I had been told that this book would only be available direct from Amtrak through the display train or by mail order but I lucked out and found a copy in my nearby hobby shop. I highly recommend this book and I think most on here will enjoy reading the stuff in it.
Noel Weaver
I got mine through Barnes & Noble on-line.
  by hi55us

CSX Conductor wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:One thing that has not been mentioned here at least so far is the book "Amtrak An American Story". It is a soft cover book with good quality paper, 144 pages, lots of very interesting photos and well worth the $19.95 selling price. There is a lot of human interest stuff in this book but that is to be expected in a book of this nature. I am about half way through it and thought some comments would be in order at this point.
Noel Weaver
I got mine through Barnes & Noble on-line.
Amtrak An American Story on amazon
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I must say Amtrak did a very fine job with this train. I saw it today for the first time, it pulled into the Pawtucket Amtrak MOW facility this afternoon as we were coming out of the yard, very nice train indeed
  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I must say Amtrak did a very fine job with this train. I saw it today for the first time, it pulled into the Pawtucket Amtrak MOW facility this afternoon as we were coming out of the yard, very nice train indeed
I assume it was towed by an ACSES equipped unit.
  by CSX Conductor

As I assumed all along, it will be towed by an ACSES equipped Genesis. I just found this pic on NERAIL.
  by Tom6921

According to the website, the 40th Anniversery train will be in Burlington, Vermont August 20-21. However, Amtrak is bussing Vermonter passengers north of Springfield around that time. Will this affect the 40th anniversery train since that's where I'm planning on seeing it.
  by Cadet57

Tom6921 wrote:According to the website, the 40th Anniversery train will be in Burlington, Vermont August 20-21. However, Amtrak is bussing Vermonter passengers north of Springfield around that time. Will this affect the 40th anniversery train since that's where I'm planning on seeing it.
Well, I can't imagine they're going to bus the museum... ;)
  by shadyjay

I'm planning on seeing it in Burlington, too. But I suspect that since the freight is getting through, then so will the display train.

I'm sure it is also possible that the train could travel on alternate non-Amtrak routes. The week before Burlington, the train is in Freeport, ME. The week after Burlington, its in Albany. So I guess, in theory, from Freeport to Burlington, it COULD go Pan-Am all the way to White Creek, NY, then up Vermont Railway to Burlington. OR, it could go to Mechanicsville, then up the CP/D&H and on the "Ethan Allen" route to Rutland, meeting up with Vermont Railway's line to Burlington there. Or it could just travel during a construction "window" on NECR.

UPDATE - looks like it will indeed travel NECR northward, then when heading towards Albany, VRS to Rutland - thence following the route of the Ethan Allen Express.
  by hi55us

Are their any plans for the train after the grand tour? Perhaps a permanent placement in NYP :)