• 2011 RBBB Circus Train Heading Into Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CPSK

Sirsonic wrote:
A line with no passenger trains has passenger train speeds listed in the employee timetable? Thats unusual to say the least.
I seem to recall that when the River Line was Conrail, they did have passenger speeds. The OCS for one always seemed to be moving faster than the 50mph allowed for freight, and I think I was told by a railroad employee of such.
Maybe not CSX though. Doesn't really make any difference whether the circus train is moving at 50 or 60mph. It's still too fast for "chasing".
I recall one time trying to chase the train from Bear Mountain State Park to Highland NY, under the Poughkeepsie bridge.
I had to take US 9W from the Bear Mountain circle through Newburgh, and that cost me a lot of time, so needless to say I missed the train. I knew it had passed though, by the smell

I think it was my imagination, but when I was running along the bike path next to the River Line in Teaneck today, I thought I got a whiff of "animal". I can't imagine that the smell of the train having passed on Tuesday would still be on the ground three days later, especially after heavy rains. More likely, I've got circus train running through my brain, and won't get rid of it until I catch the train with my camera.

FW
  by Irishiron

Sirsonic wrote:Im guessing CRCX is Conrail? Cant say I have ever heard it refered to that way before.
CSAO is an initial, not a reporting mark. Non-interchange cars can essentially have whatever you want on 'em. And yup, you got it Sirsonic, CRSH is one of the FRA notations, as they basically have their own for everything.

Not widely known, but CRCX is the correct AAR Reporting Mark for Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail Shared Assets). You can double check that in the register here...

https://www.railinc.com/findusrail/pub/mark/search.do

For anyone curious, you'll also find NJTR and MNCW as the correct marks for NJTransit Rail Ops & Metro-North.
  by Jtgshu

So why even mention little known reporting marks, just use the known name of the railroad? It makes life so much easier.

who here refers to NJT as NJTR or MN and MNCW, or Conrail as CRCX? It just seems like someone is showing off their knowledge.....

Sorry, kind of a pet peeve there......back on topic

Anyway, Amtraks does run the Circus train through NYP, and it is how it gets to Long Island. Its quite a pain (as I always seemed to be delayed by it in some form) when it goes through and you would be surprised at the times they run it. Ive seen it come through NYP in the evening, other times ive seen it come though in the mid afternoon right before evening rush, which always surprises me that they would do that. It runs pretty much straight through on track 11, so the entire station (well the trains going to Jersey) are blocked the entire time its making its trek through. It can be a good amount of time too, as its a damn long train and very slow through the station.

Last time i got delayed by it, i was being a commuter coming home from NY and we were held like 20 minutes before we could leave because it was making slow journey east. The train that left RIGHT BEFORE the one i was on made it out on time, we were the the first train held :( Just my luck! oh well! at least i got to see it pass by in the station, thats always cool, but i wanted to go home!
  by CPSK

One of the reasons I never wanted to live or work on LI is that the routes of access / egress are limited to going through NYC, unless you want to take a ferry to CT.
So, what I was meaning to say is that the circus train would not come through NYP unless it was the only way to get to/from where they were going. Might have gone down to Secaucus station if I had known when it was going through. Of course i would have had to buy a ticket just to get on the platform, but what the hell. It would have been worth the price. Next year!

I will be looking for the blue train to make its way through NJ and up the River sub to Albany on Tuesday. I plan not to miss it this time, unless it's coming through during the "off" hours, after 11pm and before 06:00. Don't know how much video I could shoot in the dark, but maybe I can find a street light that's hitting the train.

FW
  by waldwickrailfan

its definatly Tuesday then? busy in the morning. maybe an early afternoon run would work well for me.
  by CPSK

Blue train will not be coming through NJ on its way from Charleston WV to Albany, NY.
Train is going through Columbus, OH, Toledo, OH, Cleveland, OH, Buffalo, NY and east on CSX to Selkirk (Albany) NY.
Next opportunity to see a circus train on the River sub would be on Tues, May 10 when the red train travels from Hartford, CT to Trenton, NJ. Last year, the train passed through the southern part of the River sub around 7:30pm.

FW
  by nomis

Heads Up: Circus Q903-09
Crew on duty at 1pm, from South Kearny to Morrisville.
  by OCtrainguy

Per a post on another website, the train was through West Point, NY at about 3:30 p.m. this afternoon. Don't know where it currently is.
  by Steve F45

OCtrainguy wrote:Per a post on another website, the train was through West Point, NY at about 3:30 p.m. this afternoon. Don't know where it currently is.
on the csx yahoo group it was reported the train was in kearny at 3pm?
  by circustime

Anyone know the status of the Circus Train heading to Columbus, OHio - I think it will get here tomorrow (May 11). Where does is stop and can we watch (have a 5 year old) the animals coming off???? My girl would appreciate any info - she is a huge animal lover.