• 2011 RBBB Circus Train Heading Into Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CPSK

Well, I missed it this time. That's not to say I didn't try!
I was down at Ridgefield Park in the parking lot of now abandoned former Frickie's by about 7:30AM. Great view of the bridge over the Overpeck. I was hearing that the train was on the "Greenville pocket" at OI, and the power had yet to couple up to it. I had no idea it could take another 4 hours for the train to move out of OI.
There was a problem with a switch, so that took some time, but finally the power was shoving against the train.

During my wait, I caught two CSX southbounds. The UPS train, and a stack train.
I waited around until about 10:15 and hadn't heard a peep from "P..." whatever, so I decided to go back home and do my run around the track at Votee Park, Teaneck with my radio, and the camera in the car.
While I ran, I listened to the CSX River sub, the NI dispatcher, and the CR NJ channels, but heard no mention of the "P" train. I figured they must be watering the animals or whatever.
When I was finished with my 8K run (a very short run for me), I heard that there was a southbound, and a northbound headed my way, but no circus train.
I caught both CSX freights, but decided to go home because I hadn't heard anything else.

So what happens? I get home, plug the radio into the roof antenna, and there's the "P.." whatever at CP5. I guess I could have gotten back in the car and gotten trackside, but I wouldn't have had time to set up the camera on the tripod (it's an old VHS-C camcorder), and that would be if I were lucky. I think the train was booking north, so I probably would have missed altogether.

Now tell me that I am wrong, but I believe that CSX takes great pains to "cloak" the circus train. Maybe not just CSX, but Ringling Bros as well. After all, there are a lot of people out there who don't approve of the use of animals in the circus, and some of those people might be crazy enough about their cause to try to block the train's passage. That would be bad for CSX and for RB. So CSX makes it as difficult as possible within their operating rules for a railfan to track the train.
The only way I knew the train was going through is the report of signal state at CP5 and CP7.

So, the train was routed over the Greenville branch to the National Docs, then through the old Erie tunnel to CP whatever over what Conrail used to call the Nave runner?
I never put two and two together to figure that out, but I should have. They were talking Greenville, and I know where that is, so I should have figured it was going to be a long time before the train would be heading north on the RL.

I was so frustrated by all of this, that I vowed never to "chase" another train. If I just happen to hear that the train is coming through and have enough time to get trackside and set up, then I will go for it. But no more sitting/standing around waiting for hours. IMO, the circus train (at least not this one) is not worth the time I spent trying to catch it on video. But I am sometimes quite the obsessive, especially when it comes to trains... at least until today!

Maybe I'll catch the blue train on the River Line on its trek from Charleston WV to Albany on May 3-4 (assuming it takes that route), or maybe I'll catch the red train coming back south from Hartford to Trenton on May 9-10. But I am not going to make any dedicated effort for it this time. I'll just find someone else's video on YouTube and enjoy!

FW
  by Irishiron

CPSK wrote:Now tell me that I am wrong, but I believe that CSX takes great pains to "cloak" the circus train.

FW
You're wrong. ;-) They don't try to cloak anything. If they don't need to have a radio conversation, they won't. And the train moves when the crew is ready. Photographers have an old saying that slightly applies here..."f/8 and be there". Sometimes you just gotta go sit and wait.
  by CPSK

Irishiron wrote:
CPSK wrote:Now tell me that I am wrong, but I believe that CSX takes great pains to "cloak" the circus train.

FW
You're wrong. ;-) They don't try to cloak anything. If they don't need to have a radio conversation, they won't. And the train moves when the crew is ready. Photographers have an old saying that slightly applies here..."f/8 and be there". Sometimes you just gotta go sit and wait.
I like that "f/8 and wait". It was how I photographed the train many years ago at Bear Mountain. I sat there for hours. But the location makes sitting and waiting more or less interesting.
What bothered me today is that I came so close to getting the shots. I should have known better than to leave, but I was sweaty from running, and needed to get home for lunch.
I'll see what happens on the train's return trip to Trenton. Last year, the train came through at dusk, and I didn't bother because of the low light. But the video camera will handle low light better than the lenses I have for my Nikon, especially if the train is moving fast.

FW
  by Steve F45

there were postings on the yahoo groups from very early am about what the new train symbol was, what power was beeing assembed and used to what time the crew was called.
  by CPSK

Steve F45 wrote:there were postings on the yahoo groups from very early am about what the new train symbol was, what power was beeing assembed and used to what time the crew was called.
I was trying to remember where I had been following the train last year, and I forgot the Yahoo group. I should still be a member. I'll have to watch the groups for the train's return trip, and maybe the blue train coming through next week.

Thanks

FW
  by CPSK

zablocki22 wrote:If you would like to see the circus train passing through Dumont, NJ, I shot video of it and it is posted on
Youtube via the link below.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWvvIB0vxGg

Vincent Zablocki
Nice video! A lot better than mine would have been, as my camera is 15 years old, VHS-C and having to convert through my Plextor USB converter never gives the best results.
I think if I get a chance to see the train next time, I'll take only my Nikon D200 for still shots.

FW
  by waldwickrailfan

Blue unit currently in Charleston. wraping up Sunday, probobly leaving sometime Monday. maybe daylight in NJ Tuesday?

Red unit in Hartford from 4-8. leaving Monday to Trenton. river line and then will it take the NEC or Lehigh line to Trenton. Show is near station in trenton, or Hamilton Ave. on NJT River Line. will be nice catch if its on NEC. and where will they park the train for the show?
  by Irishiron

waldwickrailfan wrote:Blue unit currently in Charleston. wraping up Sunday, probobly leaving sometime Monday. maybe daylight in NJ Tuesday?

Red unit in Hartford from 4-8. leaving Monday to Trenton. river line and then will it take the NEC or Lehigh line to Trenton. Show is near station in trenton, or Hamilton Ave. on NJT River Line. will be nice catch if its on NEC. and where will they park the train for the show?
Trenton Subdivision, same as always. The only times Amtrak handles te circus trains are between Lane and Sunnyside. or Lane and Harold (to/from LI).
  by CPSK

So it looks like two more chances, one each blue and red to catch the train coming through northern NJ.
NEC from Hartford to Trenton?? Not possible. No way Amtrak would allow circus train through NYP, unless it has no other way to go.

FW
  by Irishiron

CPSK wrote:No way Amtrak would allow circus train through NYP, unless it has no other way to go.

FW
Why not? They do it all the time. How do you think it gets to MSG and the Long Island Colosseum? However those are the only two venues. They will go CSX River to CRCX through North Jersey to CSX Trenton, then shove up the Morrisville Line to off load. That's the usual move for Trenton.
  by CPSK

Irishiron wrote:
CPSK wrote:No way Amtrak would allow circus train through NYP, unless it has no other way to go.

FW
Why not? They do it all the time. How do you think it gets to MSG and the Long Island Colosseum? However those are the only two venues. They will go CSX River to CRCX through North Jersey to CSX Trenton, then shove up the Morrisville Line to off load. That's the usual move for Trenton.
OK. But the timing would be critical for going through Penn Station. I don't think you would want the train going through during the rush.
I tend to think of the circus train as a freight train, but actually, it's not. I believe the train is allowed passenger speeds on freight lines, so it would be 60mph on the CSX River Line.

FW
  by Sirsonic

CPSK wrote:I believe the train is allowed passenger speeds on freight lines, so it would be 60mph on the CSX River Line.
A line with no passenger trains has passenger train speeds listed in the employee timetable? Thats unusual to say the least.
Irishiron wrote:They will go CSX River to CRCX through North Jersey to CSX Trenton, then shove up the Morrisville Line to off load.
Im guessing CRCX is Conrail? Cant say I have ever heard it refered to that way before.
  by chuchubob

Sirsonic wrote:
Irishiron wrote:They will go CSX River to CRCX through North Jersey to CSX Trenton, then shove up the Morrisville Line to off load.
Im guessing CRCX is Conrail? Cant say I have ever heard it refered to that way before.
Conrail is CSAO.
  by Sirsonic

Conrail Shared Assets is also known to the FRA by the initials CRSH.