• 2011 RBBB Circus Train Heading Into Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Irishiron

NS 048, the Ringling Red Unit just by me at Vardo in Hagerstown, MD. NS3224/6089, though could change. Well after midnight into NJ, possibly daylight on CSX though up the River. Going to Providence. Happy hunting...
Last edited by Irishiron on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CPSK

Irishiron wrote:NS 048 24, the Ringling Red Unit just by me at Vardo in Hagerstown, MD. NS3224/6089, though could change. Well after midnight into NJ, possibly daylight on CSX though up the River. Going to Providence. Happy hunting...
Hey, thanks very much for that info! I have been listening to CSX and Conrail in Northern NJ waiting to hear something. Sounds like I need to get up by 06:00 tomorrow morning for a possible catch on the River Line. Would be great to catch her running over the Overpeck creek bridge with the sun in the east. Great photo location!
Do you know what route it will be taking up to NJ? I would assume Hagerstown to Harrisburg, then east through Reading, Allentown, to Newark, NJ then on up the River Line, east on the B&M then south to Providence.

I will be looking for the red unit to return around May 11th on its trip from Hartford to Trenton.

I've also learned that the blue unit will be going from Charleston, WV to Albany, NY between May 2 and 4th. I would expect that train to use the River sub as well, most likely on Tues, May 3rd or Wed May 4th.
That train will then travel between Albany, NY and Columbus, OH from May 9th to May 11th. I would assume the route will be the Water Level, Albany to Cleveland, then down to Columbus, but I suppose it is possible it might use the River Line to Newark, NJ then west through Pittsburgh. Seems like a roundabout way to go, but we never know with the trains, do we?

I have a voice recorder attached to my radio, so I will be recording all night. When I get up, I'll start listening live, and at the same time, review the recording to find whether I already missed the train.

FW
  by waldwickrailfan

when should it pass by Ridgefield Park? anytime after sunrise is preferable
  by CPSK

waldwickrailfan wrote:when should it pass by Ridgefield Park? anytime after sunrise is preferable
That's exactly what I am hoping for. I'm going to see if I can wake myself up by around 6:00 and head down to CP5. I will have my radio and the voice recorder, so I can listen to live radio and the recording from overnight to find out whether or not I already missed it.
Maybe I'll see U there?
I'll be in the parking lot of the old restaurant, overlooking the water.

FW
  by waldwickrailfan

I'll probably be chasing it if there is no action but that is probably where I'll be in the morning, if there is a lot of action I will stay fir a hour or so.
  by CPSK

waldwickrailfan wrote:I'll probably be chasing it if there is no action but that is probably where I'll be in the morning, if there is a lot of action I will stay fir a hour or so.
Where are you located? I'm in Teaneck. I have a Ringo Ranger antenna on my house, so I get pretty good reception on my Yaesu/Vertex VX-150. I am listening to the CSX River sub channel and the NI dispatcher channel, and the Conrail channel which seems to be all the action from Newark. So I figure I'll know when the train is getting close.

It would help to know whether the train will be making a major stop anywhere along the way. Last year, I believe they watered the animals in North Bergen.
There is a Harrisburg, and a Reading radio feed on railroadradio.net, but both of those feeds, as well as Pottstown are down. Figures. When we need the feed, it's down.

I'll post here, and on Twitter (under the heading Circus Train) when I hear something.

FW
  by waldwickrailfan

CPSK wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:I'll probably be chasing it if there is no action but that is probably where I'll be in the morning, if there is a lot of action I will stay fir a hour or so.
Where are you located? I'm in Teaneck. I have a Ringo Ranger antenna on my house, so I get pretty good reception on my Yaesu/Vertex VX-150. I am listening to the CSX River sub channel and the NI dispatcher channel, and the Conrail channel which seems to be all the action from Newark. So I figure I'll know when the train is getting close.

It would help to know whether the train will be making a major stop anywhere along the way. Last year, I believe they watered the animals in North Bergen.
There is a Harrisburg, and a Reading radio feed on railroadradio.net, but both of those feeds, as well as Pottstown are down. Figures. When we need the feed, it's down.

I'll post here, and on Twitter (under the heading Circus Train) when I hear something.

FW
i live in Waldwick, roughly 15-20 minutes away from the river line, i dont know if ill be there, i want to catch up on sleep, but if i wake up early enough, i will come. my scanner can only get dispatchers and engineers about a mile away(more in higher elevation). hopefully i will catch it, and might see you there.

btw im a teenager, but i interact with many people so i may look short (5ft. 2in.) but i know a lot about trains. i like many places and go to many places, but ridgefield park is one of my main places for CSX action, my other is Bound Brook
  by Irishiron

Yes, it is routed Hagerstown to Jersey, with CSX taking over there in Jersey to Worcester. P&W will take the train Worcester to Providence. The hand off will probably be at Oak Island, but anythings possible. P92426 should be the ID.

The train found some traffic east of H-town and is currently just getting to Ross outside Harrisburg. Don't know if they're gonna run through or change crews. Long story short, gonna say 5-6am into Oak Island if he gets a really good run.

You mentioned the Blue Unit btw. Nearly had a meet between the two at Manassas. Missed by a few hours.
Last edited by Irishiron on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by CPSK

Irishiron wrote:Yes, it is routed Hagerstown to Jersey, with CSX taking over there in Jersey to Worcester. P&W will take the train Worcester to Providence. The hand off will probably be at Oak Island, but anythings possible. P92426 should be the ID.

The train found some traffic east of H-town and is currently just getting to Ross outside Harrisburg. Don't know if they're gonna run through or change crews. Long story short, gonna say 5-6am into Oak Island if he gets a really good run.

You mentioned the Blue Unit btw. Nearly had a meet between the two at Manassas. Missed by a few hours.
Sounds like a good chance to catch it coming through Ridgefield Park in daylight! Don't think I will try to chase, since speed could be up to 60mph between Teaneck (Mp08) and Congers (MP28). Freight is 50, passenger 60. I guess one could argue on the classification of the train, but last time I did chase the train, it was running at passenger speed, so it was impossible to catch north of Bear Mountain at MP 41.
The problem there was going through Newburgh on route 9W. Arrived in Highland under the Poughkeepsie bridge about 10 minutes too late.
But I finally caught up with the train in Ravena. It was sitting on the siding, awaiting clearance to go east on the B&M. The other train was in the area at the same time. It had come down the D&H into Selkirk Yard, but I never got to see it.

So this will be the first of maybe two opportunities to see the red train, and one to see the blue train.

FW
  by waldwickrailfan

That is more Likly, probobly leave oak island around 7-8? Maybe later? That would be better on me and CPSK's part
  by Irishiron

waldwickrailfan wrote:That is more Likly, probobly leave oak island around 7-8? Maybe later? That would be better on me and CPSK's part
Whenever it arrives, and whenever CSX pulls.
  by Irishiron

Listening to the Central NJ radio feed...arriving OI 06:30. NS power to Croxton. CSX crew may already be on. Night kids...
  by CPSK

Irishiron wrote:Listening to the Central NJ radio feed...arriving OI 06:30. NS power to Croxton. CSX crew may already be on. Night kids...
So far I haven't heard anything on CSX or CR. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong channel?
I should be able to pick him up when he gets onto the River Line.

FW
  by gravelyfan

P924 departing Oak Island around 11:45 headed for the National Docks Branch and eventually going up the River Sub
  by waldwickrailfan

maybe ill finally catch it. im listening to the scanners now and when should it pass by CP5?