• 01800 Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Another thing that seems to sometimes jinx the ASA is when the guard appears to intentionally cut off the "No Smoking Please" message at Andrew station. You know the ding-dong sound you hear at that point? That's the guard cutting off the "No Smoking Please" message, then later on, "Next Stop, South Station" when leaving South Station.

The reason the train motorperson, not the attendant, but the motorperson cuts out the NO Smoking message with the two-tone chime is to let the train attendant know the the doorways are clear so that the attendant can close the doors.

Also, some of the LCDs on the 01800s are non-functional, but they do like the buses, they have those makeshift signs the motorperson hangs at the visor.

by fm535

Again, my rant continues about mis-management, with Robert's comments about the ASA's being broken. It seems like it is always the SAME unit/train that has the same issues. I wonder if they actually perform any maintenance on the electronics that operate the ASA. And I wonder if this is a violation of ADA requirements as well. Does anyone(MBTA) care...that is the question! I am ex-USAF, and I worked on fighter jets. We did let planes fly with minor discrepancies, but they were eventually repaired within a short period of time. I realize that trains aren't fighter jets, but pride, accountability and safety counts in any job!

by Reddy Rocker

It appears I got the same train on the way in today as I got last night, including the same ASA problem. Again that's 01810 as the front car.

by Robert Paniagua

Ok, I'll have to find it myself. Was 01810 facing North? Last time, it was facing north as a fifth car out of Braintree while it's cohort 01811 was the last car facing South (would become the lead car going in the Southbound direction. This was last week.

by Reddy Rocker

No, 01810 was facing south both times. It was the rear car last night as I was going to Park Street then.

by Robert Paniagua

Now I get it. Yesterday I saw South-01855/54-01830/31-01820/21-North in the Southbound direction towards Braintree, with 1855 being in the lead and 01821 bringing up the rear. The window was occupied by an ad, but I wasn't sure about the ASA, since I observed this train from an MBCR train I took on my way home.

by Robert Paniagua

Yesterday, Mar 9, I gained 01872 from Braintree to Washington St. 01872 was the head car NB, ASA was fine and so was heat.

The way home I spotted and caught 01871 as the head car SB. The railfan's window in both directions was occupied by poeters, while 01871 was spotted by me from an MB CR train I rode on.

by Robert Paniagua

On Thursday, I got a deuce. 01812 in the AM (lead car) and 01848 (another head car) on the way home. Both had ASA being fine with ads in windows (again :-|).

by Robert Paniagua

On April 20, I got 01822 inbound from Braintree till DTC, window was of course occupied, but ASA was fine and so was ride.

by Robert Paniagua

On May 5, I got 01863 from PKS-Braintree. Window was occupied by ad, ASA was fine, however, this was a 4-car consist, so 01863 then became the fourth car facing northbound at Braintree while two more were added.

by mattster

Is it just me or did the 1800s stop stating which side the doors would open on sometime in the past year?

by Reddy Rocker

mattster wrote:Is it just me or did the 1800s stop stating which side the doors would open on sometime in the past year?
They never did. Sometimes the guard used to chime in just to say which doors would open, but they don't do that as often.

by Ron Newman

No, I'm sure I've heard "doors will open on the right" as part of an automated announcement.

by orange1234

Ron Newman wrote:No, I'm sure I've heard "doors will open on the right" as part of an automated announcement.
Yeah...on the Type 8s. I have never heard the 1800s specify which side the doors will open.

by mattster

No I'm fairly certain the 1800s used to announce which side the doors will open on.