• 01800 Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

To clarify something here:

The 01800s never had a door opening on side announcement, only the human train attendant does that part, just like the other train. Only the Type 8s and maybe the Blue line 0700s will say where will the doors open. And hopefully the future-if-ever Red Line 01900s

by CS

I lived in Boston my entire life, I've ridden the 01800's since they came to Boston and I can tell you that they have NEVER said which side the doors are opening on. Ever.
EVER!

by Robert Paniagua

You're right.

But as said, I hope that when we get the #4 Red Line cars (01900s) hopefully next decade, then they'll say which side they'll open.

by CS

It might be sooner then you think...
I remember the retirement age being 2009 for the Silverbirds (if anyone can back this up, I would be happy).

by octr202

CS wrote:It might be sooner then you think...
I remember the retirement age being 2009 for the Silverbirds (if anyone can back this up, I would be happy).
I don't think it was definate...just that the replacement of them was not in the last five-year capital plan, meaning sometime after 2009 or 2010...could be much longer...

by octr202

Just because I wanted a distraction this early afternoon, from the MBTA FY2006-2011 capital plan, on Page 22:
ANTICIPATED FUTURE NEEDS
To date, the MBTA has identified the following subway vehicle projects as future needs.
- Red Line No. 1 Replacement Fleet
New cars will be needed to allow the retirement of the No. 1 fleet.
- Orange Line Fleet Procurement
Procurement of new cars will be needed to allow the retirement of the No. 12 fleet.
So, after 2011...

http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/pdf/part ... _29_05.pdf

by Robert Paniagua

Oh shocks, they should make that sooner.

And they should do like the new WMATA 6000s, such as dealing with Alstom in terms of a manufacturing vendor.

by Robert Paniagua

Last Friday, 6/23, I got 01879 till Braintree, window was open, ASA was fine, and while I was seeing through the front of 01879 at the Braintree area, I saw part of the Southbound track (the track our train was on) covered with rain waters, so we had to slow down considerably. There were also two officials riding in the cab to check out the floodwaters along the track. And when we off-loaded at Braintree, I* told them I couldn't believe the water got that high and one of them joked, "they wouldn't let me swin there" :-). However, that small stream along the trackage at raintree across from Best Buy by the sound barriers has since receeded.

by fm535

The 01800 that I rode on yesterday was in serious vocal distress! I was actually laughing out loud because the ASA was so confused and broken. At each announcement, you would hear : Next stop Park Square Mass, or it would thumb thru every stop on the line in a jumbled mess. "Entering Andrew Inconvenience Stop" It literally sounded like a cross between a speech impediment and a short circuit. It had started out simple, doubling the station name: Entering Davis Davis or Entering Porter Porter, then it went downhill from there. By the time I got to JFK Savin Tree, I had tears in my eyes. I don't know how many others found it funny, but I have to feel some sympathy for the group of (3) Blind riders that got off at Kendall looking totally confused.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh No, that's really not too good for these cars, the ASA has got to be fixed sooner than later, and in any case for your trip, the train attendant should have announce the stations manually and truned off the ASA.

by Robert Paniagua

Yesterday (19) and the day before (18), I gained 01857 (18) and 01869 (19). ASA on both was fine, got seat both times, the bad news though for both, their window was occupied by ads, so that caused me to do the seat trick, but the ride and view weren't bad though :-D

by The Port of Authority

I rode an 01800 set today (can't remember the number unfortunately) that had a serious announcement and LED display problem... it would announce "Orter Square" and "Change he—" after every stop, while the LED displays flashed "NEXT STOP QUINCY ADAMS".

A true disgrace.

by octr202

The Port of Authority wrote:I rode an 01800 set today (can't remember the number unfortunately) that had a serious announcement and LED display problem... it would announce "Orter Square" and "Change he—" after every stop, while the LED displays flashed "NEXT STOP QUINCY ADAMS".

A true disgrace.
I've been on those before. Might be the one that fm535 mentions above. After being on trains and buses in Chicago, DC, and NYC that don't miss a beat with the ASA, the 01800s are pretty distressing. Furthermore, I don't think they've even added the SIlver Line at Downtown Crossing to the connections yet -- even though they added "Silver Line to Logan Airport" at South Station (though, none of the other SL Waterfront routes are identified). Frankly, and about 5 or 6 years ago I'd have never thought this, but most of the guards on the Red Line seem to do a better, more through job of station announcements than the computers do now!

by Robert Paniagua

I went on 01872 as the last car going northbound this AM at South Station to Park Street and I noticed that it was pray-painted with NYCTA-Style grafitti!! I don't know how it got there, but I saw some throw-ups on 01872 when I got on it from South Station and it clearly reminded of the NYCTA 20 years ago...

I hope they buff the grafitti out of that car so that it isn't there anymore when I see it again...

by orange1234

Gained 1882 today from PKST to Davis. Window was clear, but I didn't get the seat, unfortunately. Ride was smooth, but the ASA barely worked. When it did, it would say, "Next Stop, Central Square." On the return trip, I gained 1869 and the seat, but the window was occupied. ASA would occasionally work.