• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MP85 803

Amtrak plans to move a 5 car RTL III Turboliner set (powercars 2135-2158) from Adams Yard to Cedar Hill tomorrow night (10/9). The move will include some hopper cars and a flat car with an ACS-64 for power.

Is this for scrapping at Sims Metal Management???
  by Nasadowsk

No idea, but as an aside, I saw an RTG in a museum today - the engine was on display. It would fit confortably in the space of a 55 gallon drum. Sign said 800kw.

Also, BB9004 is well preserved, I don’t know if it still runs though.
  by Matt Johnson

Wow, that was quick! That set just arrived a couple of weeks ago in apparent secrecy. I thought I might get a chance to photograph it but apparently not. Ah well, at least I captured two of 'em for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV9CoZQcwEM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Matt Johnson

Thanks for the heads up, had some time before a late shift this evening to get one last look!

https://youtu.be/jtJtwHfmQZw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ApproachMedium

The 3rd turbo set is going to new haven for the same purpose as the two stored at adams. The set departed this evening to exchange in Hudson yard with the electric for the trip east, along with a few MFS-40 electric conveyor hoppers.
  by Train2009

It was reported by West Haven, CT this morning at 5:30 AM.
  by DutchRailnut

In New Haven station trk 2 for engine swap.
  by daybeers

So it's going to sit in New Haven?
  by DutchRailnut

it went to Cedar Hill. most likely to Sims Metal Recycling.
  by kitn1mcc

surprised they used an electric. would this be considered an electric freight move
  by STrRedWolf

DutchRailnut wrote:it went to Cedar Hill. most likely to Sims Metal Recycling.
I'm assuming Cedar Hill is a neighborhood in North Haven, where Sims Metal Management has a lead track into the facility. Looks like they needed to switch to diesel for the rest of the way in.
  by DutchRailnut

Cedar Hill is former New Haven railroad yard and yes Sims Metal Recycling has a facility there with a spur leading into it, usually used to ship shredded metal out.
https://binged.it/2QM7s0i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by DutchRailnut

kitn1mcc wrote:surprised they used an electric. would this be considered an electric freight move
since the move came from New Jersey via NYP and hellgate it was a given that a electric would be used.
  by ApproachMedium

Electric had to be used to transport via tunnels and right now amtrak has a lot more electrics available for work than diesels. No yard was going to give an engine up to another yard to end up with it tied up someplace far away.

This set is supposed to be going up there for the same training purposes as the adams sets. They would not waste a move to send it up there to be scrapped when they have a scrap contract on site in the state of delaware, in bear. Before it had been "rescued" to be sent up there it was on the list of things to be scrapped out of bear with the AEM-7 DCs.
  by SRich

kitn1mcc wrote:surprised they used an electric. would this be considered an electric freight move
:-D
ApproachMedium wrote:Electric had to be used to transport via tunnels and right now amtrak has a lot more electrics available for work than diesels. No yard was going to give an engine up to another yard to end up with it tied up someplace far away.

This set is supposed to be going up there for the same training purposes as the adams sets. They would not waste a move to send it up there to be scrapped when they have a scrap contract on site in the state of delaware, in bear. Before it had been "rescued" to be sent up there it was on the list of things to be scrapped out of bear with the AEM-7 DCs.
why not rebuilding one?