• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Alcochaser

I have been in a NYS rebuilt turboliner. They sure didn't look anything like the stand that is covered in bird poop above.

From foggy memory,
They had a controller that looked like it came right off a P42DC.
The console was one piece for fireman and engineer. No bumps or angled out consoles in the middle.
The gauges were on LCD pannels.
The cab signal display was an LED that looked like a colorized PRR signal. It was in the middle of the console between the engineer and fireman.
On the firemans side was one of those Qualcom keyboards hooked below.
Radio was above the right windshield, with two handsets on each side

Looked most like a P42DC cab, but with a few differences.
  by Matt Johnson

A photo I stumbled across: RTLIII cab. And while I'm at it, coach interior. Taken at Bear in 2013.
  by AgentSkelly

Okay, its been 10 years so I present you this: http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp ... alid=18627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ApproachMedium

Thats what i linked photos from above.
  by AgentSkelly

Oh yeah, I didnt' see that!

And those are my pictures....which 10 years later, I would thank those SuperSteel employees watching who told me "we don't care unless you are coming up out with a wheelbarrow of stuff..."
  by mncr25

I had come across the UER site turbo pics before. Really cool stuff. Glad you took those haha. Would have loved to go there when they were stored.

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/amtrak-tu ... 397954298/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cant seem to find where this cab signal would be located in the cab. I think it would be

Also, did the RTL I and II have same cab or was it different?

This is a shot from a RTL II
http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/ ... .jpg?rev=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Railjunkie

The cabs would be on the bracket above the speedometer between the windows. The RTL ll was the first turbo I ran in engine service junk junk fast but junk
  by Alcochaser

Matt Johnson wrote:A photo I stumbled across: RTLIII cab. And while I'm at it, coach interior. Taken at Bear in 2013.
Thats how I remember it, but the one i was in had the Acela colors on it. It was being shown around the country. It had LCD panels where the gauges were in this pic. Perhaps it got a little more tech because it was being shown off.
  by AgentSkelly

mncr25 wrote:I had come across the UER site turbo pics before. Really cool stuff. Glad you took those haha. Would have loved to go there when they were stored.
Thanks! Yeah, I couldn't pass that up and made it a impromptu field trip with my friends when we at another business at the old Navy Depot there. And like I mentioned before, the SuperSteel employees didn't care as at the time, it was in legal limbo. A month or two later, I found out NYSP actually "secured' that trainset with padlocks and boards with the assumption they were going to resume refurbishing train sets.

Regarding the cab controls on the RTL III, as I understand and heard thru a few acquaintances, the cab controls were meant to look similar to a P42 for continuity purposes by recommendation of engineers under BLET.
  by ApproachMedium

I really wish I had taken photos inside of the rebuilt turbos that are in bear. The cab controls were neat. There was all this computer stuff in there, very fancy. Now i see how hard this stuff is to find.
  by ApproachMedium

Okay now i have my own request of you turbo junkies. The side of the RTL turbos had a decal on it with the pointless arrow and said Turbopower. I only ever found a photo of a photo on a computer monitor of this. Im looking for a halfway decent photo of it to make in to a decal.
  by mncr25

Here ya go
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/2 ... 472062.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can probably make an HD Vector trace over it if you'd like.

A few more questions for you all:

What are these rectangular things above the cab windows and what is their purpose?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rrpa_photos/247 ... 158_Croton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[tad_101-2].jpg

Where is the bell located? I have heard it is somewhere in the front, just not sure where exactly

If anyone has any decent pictures of the underframe compartments and stuff like that, please share :-D
  by Backshophoss

That .xml file link has failed,shows "access denied" message. :(
Believe the bell was underframe mounted,in the nose area of the power cars.
  by ApproachMedium

A vector trace would be good. Id imagine my friend needs illustrator to make it happen.

That text with the pointless arrow above it would be nice to make in to a decal.

Only thing i can think of for the boxes are fresh air vents or a place for footing when replacing the strobe lights.