Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#728290  by Steamboat Willie

That's why there's an extra list and more guys than you think in both T&E whom are qualified up there. They'll most likely DH people off the NH extra board into GCT to work the inspection train.

Now guys still qualified from River to State Line (Beacon Line) those people are hard to come by!
 #728308  by DutchRailnut

AM and PM mo crew do not need Waterbury/Danbury or New Canaan qualifications, neither does the waterworld crew.
 #728345  by Patrick A.

You ever work Waterworld Dutch?
 #728422  by DutchRailnut

Yup even one season as supervision on that train in beginning, and I ran original waterworld test train.
 #738758  by RomanIV

I've completed and passed the interview process,physical and the drug test.Now I want to know when will I be contacted for the orientation?........can anyone help? :-D
 #738860  by FL9AC

I've completed and passed the interview process,physical and the drug test.Now I want to know when will I be contacted for the orientation?........can anyone help?
This belongs in the MTA section of the employment forum :wink: .
 #738880  by n2qmt

I currently have the title of being "the most junior person on the railroad" right now...At least till next week when the next new hire class rolls in. Then I will just be the most junior RTC. :-D
 #738899  by Tadman

I hear a lot of less-fortunate comments about Waterbury runs - how bad of a neighborhood are we talking? Or am I missing the point entirely?
 #739109  by RearOfSignal

n2qmt wrote:I currently have the title of being "the most junior person on the railroad" right now...At least till next week when the next new hire class rolls in. Then I will just be the most junior RTC. :-D
Wow, MNR is outsourcing RTC positions to Wyoming? Talk about remotely controlled operations.
 #740480  by MNR's #1 Conductor

RearOfSignal wrote:
n2qmt wrote:I currently have the title of being "the most junior person on the railroad" right now...At least till next week when the next new hire class rolls in. Then I will just be the most junior RTC. :-D
Wow, MNR is outsourcing RTC positions to Wyoming? Talk about remotely controlled operations.
Well, juuuuuuuuuuuuuust where did they scrounge YOU up from???? :-D :-)
 #748168  by Brakeman1

Conductor Qualified All 3 Division and All 3 Branches On The NH..

Frequent Reader Rare Poster.
 #754443  by MJRuef

Hired on PC Met Region as operator in 1973, worked mostly Stamford, as well as Vern, Green, Berk and Pelham Bay.
Went into engine service in 1976.
Promoted engineer in 1978.
MNR Engineer until 1985, mostly on the NH side, left area moved south and went to NS.
Hold seniority as Norfolk Southern Railway - Washington District Engineer.
Went to work for BLE as Asst. Director of Arbitration in 1997.
Elected BLET National Vice President in 2006.
Currently assigned to NRAB in Chicago, IL and am Chairman of First Division, as well as BLET Director of Arbitration.
Still interested in the territory where I learned railroading, the best railroading classroom in the world!
 #754500  by Noel Weaver

YUP, I totally agree MJ, I actually qualified to Beacon in my Penn Central days and thus the Waterbury as far as Derby Junction. Between Derby Junction and Waterbury I knew the line very well and even today I could probably find my way but
I had no need for the territory living in New York City at the time so I never officially qualified. I did run the job a few
different times for people who now are long retired. If my parents had still been living in Waterbury and if I could stand for
work there, I would have qualified on that territory as it would have given me a chance to be in Waterbury occasionally.
I did work as a fireman over that line quite a few different times both on the passenger trains and on DN-1 and ND-2 a few
times.
I was qualified on a lot of assorted territory as an engineer during my years on the railroad and in every single case it paid off big time for me both in money and in quality of work that I could hold on a regular basis. Things did slow up from time
to time and when they did, the more places one was qualified, the better the chance of taking home a good check every week. I can remember being on the extra list at Oak Point and the only engineer qualifed to Beacon via Danbury. Even
though things were terribly slow, I made it well because I would jump everybody on the board for that job and it was
open frequently.
I would be surprised if there is anybody left with Metro-North who is qualified between Beacon and Danbury, how long has it
been since there has been a train over this line of any kind?
Noel Weaver