Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MNR's #1 Conductor

MNConductor wrote:Conductor for 4 years,
qualified on all three lines, all three branches.
-Andy-
You can keep the Waterbury!! A scene of post-apocalypse, I hear!! :-D
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

RearOfSignal wrote:Assistant Conductor, I work all 3 lines, mostly Hudson & Harlem though.
You are just like me!! A railroader/foamer who infects all 3!! :-D
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

MNRR_RTC wrote:
74volts wrote:Hello All!

I am a new hire with MNRR. I started three weeks ago and am currently in training as a M of E electrician. I've been in Harmon, but come Monday I will be spending a week in New Haven. This is after ten and a half years with CSX.

Mike
Congratluations and good luck to you.
Congratulations!!! Welcome Aboard!! :-D
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Jayjay1213 wrote:Last person on the engineers roster :-D
Big Jay, WASSSSSSSSUP???? :-D
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

ChiefWrex wrote:Conductor on all 3 lines. Been here for 1 year. And Jayjay is my engineer.
Got a good man at your helm there!! :-D
  by ChiefWrex

Yea I know!!!
  by Amtrak7

Why does it seem that most (if not all) employees on this board are not qualified on the Waterbury branch? Does the RR only qualify those who need it on Waterbury to save money?
  by DutchRailnut

I was qualified on Waterbury, but no use to keep qualifications.
no more Maybrook(Beacon line) work, and only time i would be called for Waterbury work is, if I were to collect a Guarantee day.
If I need it again I could re-qualify in one or two days.
  by 74volts

well...it has been a year and three months now....working Harmon Yard on midnites!...so far , so good!

by ChiefWrex

Amtrak7 wrote:Why does it seem that most (if not all) employees on this board are not qualified on the Waterbury branch? Does the RR only qualify those who need it on Waterbury to save money?
I work out of the city and there are no city jobs that go up the Waterbury branch. I wasn't even offered it in class, only the New Haven people got it.
  by bartholmew

there are only 6 jobs that go to waterbury all out of new haven so if you dont work in new haven most will not qualify.... new engineers that dont live near new haven are not required to qualify the waterbury unless they want to
  by RearOfSignal

From the stories I've heard I have no desire to go on the Waterbury at all. You guys can have it.
  by Steamboat Willie

Waterbury, although the jobs pay well are pigs. You must be on top of your game with all of the antics that go on up there. Lots of guys let their qualifications expire over there due to the nature of the branch.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Amtrak7 wrote:Why does it seem that most (if not all) employees on this board are not qualified on the Waterbury branch? Does the RR only qualify those who need it on Waterbury to save money?
Hell, I had to bid a Danbury Branch job (based out of Stamford) and get awarded it for me to get qualified there. I do not have the whiskers to get awarded any job that works the Waterbury. When I was in promo class (promotion to Conductor), I was told since I live in NYC, I need only get all three lines and the New Canaan Branch. The Waterbury Branch jobs are all based out of New Haven, and there is like no chance I would be going 73 miles to NH just to work. I heard I am not missing a lot up there anyway, and since I live in the city, have no intention of ever working regular out of New Haven or living there, I have no need to qualify there on the Waterbury. Though I would like to have the distinction of being qualified everywhere, Waterbury would just end up being let go because of no desire to go there, plus not enough whiskers to work a regular job out of New Haven even on the Main Line, much less the Waterbury Branch. I am well happy just to have the Danbury under my belt.
  by Penn Central

The Waterbury was the only territory that I never qualified on. NH Line instructors had that covered for me. I attempted taking a training train up the Waterbury with a qualified engineer once but we only made it to Beacon Falls before having to return south to clear for traffic. The railroad only qualifies those who need the Waterbury now. The only drawback to this is when the inspection train is called out of GCT to go to Waterbury. It can be difficult to get a qualified crew.