• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Thomas

David Benton wrote:"Top meteorological body points finger at human-induced climate change"
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11227052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"No single weather event can prove or disprove climate change, but in its review of 2013 the world's leading meteorological authority suggests that many of last year's weather extremes are likely to have been heavily influenced by rising global temperatures.
In some ways 2013 was a typical year for the global weather. Heatwaves, cold snaps, violent storms, droughts and floods all played their part in shaping 2013 - as they do every year - but there is growing evidence that human activities are making weather extremes more frequent or extreme, the World Meteorological Organisation has concluded".

I think it would be wise to prepare for more flooding in coastal areas.
Which makes building the second section of the Tunnel Box all the more important!!

Has Amtrak and Related had any discussions about extending the Tunnel Box towards 12th Avenue? What happens if Related says no?
  by Hawaiitiki

Thomas wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcores ... 525072973/

An update on the Tunnel Box...
Very cool pictures. Is the box on the left?
  by Thomas

Hawaiitiki wrote:Very cool pictures. Is the box on the left?
Yes.

Also, here is another picture that includes the Tunnel Box https://www.flickr.com/photos/patricktngo/13306107384/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Thomas

Amtrak claims that Final Design of the Tunnel Box Extension towards the Hudson River is in procurement--and that all associated NEPA work should be completed in FY 2015.

Does anyone know if this Design includes a potential interlocking chamber--and how much south of 30th street it will go to?
  by OportRailfan

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/business/in-ny ... now/nfjfp/

Also seen in Atlanta...

But with better photos of the progress of the trench.
  by Thomas

But that link claims that Amtrak is looking into building a tunnel from Newark to NYC. This is simply not true. Rather, Amtrak is looking to significantly increase capacity into NYC.

But, what happens if the Tunnel Box Extension can not get deep enough to go under the Hudson Riverbed?
  by Greg Moore

Thomas wrote:But that link claims that Amtrak is looking into building a tunnel from Newark to NYC. This is simply not true. Rather, Amtrak is looking to significantly increase capacity into NYC.

But, what happens if the Tunnel Box Extension can not get deep enough to go under the Hudson Riverbed?
Someone gets fired and we get no more tunnels under the Hudson.

I highly suspect they've already done the math on this.
  by Thomas

Greg Moore wrote:Someone gets fired and we get no more tunnels under the Hudson.

I highly suspect they've already done the math on this.
Good point.

I did read that Amtrak is Procuring Final Design for the Tunnel Box Extension. But, is the next section of the Tunnel Box likely to:

Be extended all of the way to the Hudson River, or stop "East" of 12th Avenue?
  by jcpatten

According the pictures in the AJC website it looks like the excavation is headed smack-dab to the center of a bridge support. Hopefully the tunnel will be far enough underneath it that it won't matter.
  by Thomas

Documents have stated that Amtrak's Tunnel Box will be about 72 feet below 31st street and 11th Avenue after it gets constructed.

But, what will the depth be--of the actual tracks?
  by amtrakhogger

Amtrak clearly is trying to make progress towards the ultimate goal of two new tunnels, but that nagging issue of funding always ruins the day. I just saw an article about the new F35 fighter jet, the total bill so far is $400 billion, with $163 billion in cost overruns (and the planes still can't fly.) Funny, I don't see the House GOP jumping up and down screaming about that like they do about Amtrak's funding every year.
  by Don31

jcpatten wrote:According the pictures in the AJC website it looks like the excavation is headed smack-dab to the center of a bridge support. Hopefully the tunnel will be far enough underneath it that it won't matter.
It will pass beneath it.....