Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1277629  by Thomas

The entire Concrete Casing is supposed to be 25 feet tall with an 18 foot tunnel clearance.

But, won't there be a few feet of space between the bottom of the Concrete Casing and where the tracks will eventually be?
 #1277790  by jlr3266

3.5' invert and roof (or some variation) + 18' clearance = 25' Seems reasonable.
 #1278053  by Thomas

jlr3266 wrote:3.5' invert and roof (or some variation) + 18' clearance = 25' Seems reasonable.
So what you are saying is that both the invert and roof are 3.5' each?
 #1278167  by Steve F45

Thomas wrote:
jlr3266 wrote:3.5' invert and roof (or some variation) + 18' clearance = 25' Seems reasonable.
So what you are saying is that both the invert and roof are 3.5' each?
3.5 + 3.5 + 18=25
 #1278211  by Thomas

When Amtrak extends the Concrete Casing to the Penn Station Throat, will they have to dig up 10th Avenue in Manhattan, or can they just "underpin" 10th Avenue?
 #1278266  by Don31

Thomas wrote:
Thus, is it likely for the next section of the Concrete Casing to begin construction later this year/ the beginning of next?
30% Design documents were submitted last week, 100% Design due in September.....
 #1278268  by Don31

Thomas wrote:When Amtrak extends the Concrete Casing to the Penn Station Throat, will they have to dig up 10th Avenue in Manhattan, or can they just "underpin" 10th Avenue?
It will be cut-and-cover, so there will be some disruption.....
 #1278269  by Don31

Thomas wrote:The entire Concrete Casing is supposed to be 25 feet tall with an 18 foot tunnel clearance.

But, won't there be a few feet of space between the bottom of the Concrete Casing and where the tracks will eventually be?
Are you asking about the vehicle clearance envelope? Or the overall interior dimensions?
 #1278330  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:30% Design documents were submitted last week, 100% Design due in September.....
This makes me assume that construction on the Concrete Casing Extension should begin by December or so.
Don31 wrote:Are you asking about the vehicle clearance envelope? Or the overall interior dimensions?
I am asking about both.
 #1278418  by bleet

The pile of dirt just west of Secaucus is for a potential development there. Not sure it will ever happen, but someone has proposed putting a convention center there and the soil is for sealing the dump that's beneath the area. The curvature in the concepts for Gateway are relics of the ARC plan which required the tunnel to go below everything at PENN as well as miss the Hudson River bulkhead. In order to get that low and still have a grade that was acceptable the tunnel had to have a longer approach. No way to know what will happen with Gateway since that's not been designed yet as far as I know.
 #1278701  by Thomas

bleet wrote:The pile of dirt just west of Secaucus is for a potential development there.
But, does that block potential future construction of the Gateway ROW (or alignment)?
 #1278702  by Thomas

bleet wrote:The curvature in the concepts for Gateway are relics of the ARC plan which required the tunnel to go below everything at PENN as well as miss the Hudson River bulkhead. In order to get that low and still have a grade that was acceptable the tunnel had to have a longer approach.
I saw a recent Gateway Diagram that showed the new tunnels passing through the bulkhead.
 #1278803  by Steve F45

bleet wrote:The pile of dirt just west of Secaucus is for a potential development there. Not sure it will ever happen, but someone has proposed putting a convention center there and the soil is for sealing the dump that's beneath the area. The curvature in the concepts for Gateway are relics of the ARC plan which required the tunnel to go below everything at PENN as well as miss the Hudson River bulkhead. In order to get that low and still have a grade that was acceptable the tunnel had to have a longer approach. No way to know what will happen with Gateway since that's not been designed yet as far as I know.
This pile of dirt i highly doubt is for any future convention center and what dump? This pile didn't start to appear till about 5 years ago. If it was for the convention center that was supposed to be built with the office towers and hotel on top of Secaucus juntion then it would'be there long before.

As for the curvature, im sure they are still using the plans for the NJ side, well since NJT had already started building the overpass for the future western portal on the nj side.
 #1278823  by bleet

Steve F45 wrote:
bleet wrote:The pile of dirt just west of Secaucus is for a potential development there. Not sure it will ever happen, but someone has proposed putting a convention center there and the soil is for sealing the dump that's beneath the area. The curvature in the concepts for Gateway are relics of the ARC plan which required the tunnel to go below everything at PENN as well as miss the Hudson River bulkhead. In order to get that low and still have a grade that was acceptable the tunnel had to have a longer approach. No way to know what will happen with Gateway since that's not been designed yet as far as I know.
This pile of dirt i highly doubt is for any future convention center and what dump? This pile didn't start to appear till about 5 years ago. If it was for the convention center that was supposed to be built with the office towers and hotel on top of Secaucus juntion then it would'be there long before.

As for the curvature, im sure they are still using the plans for the NJ side, well since NJT had already started building the overpass for the future western portal on the nj side.
This dump...
http://meri.njmeadowlands.gov/mesic/sit ... andfill-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This convention Center...
http://esecaucus.com/2012/06/parking-co ... anka-site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not saying any of this is going to happen but it has been discussed...
 #1278857  by OportRailfan

New tracks to the South and North of the current alignment? New Swift?