Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1329603  by Ken W2KB

EuroStar wrote:
TrainPhotos wrote: Are they going to put a methane plant there?
TrainPhotos wrote: Why would they do that? The capping is to keep the toxic chemicals (chromium and who knows what else) undisturbed.
TrainPhotos wrote: Glad at least part of this huge project is moving forward...
Nothing is really moving forward in the location of the landfill to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone know where the ARC tracks were going to be? Were they supposed to cross the landfill at all?

Also there is something going on to the South of the existing tracks and East of County Rd. By the extend of the grading there I wonder where the old ARC tracks were supposed to be in that area? If the Gateway tracks need to cross that property, whoever is putting up whatever they are putting up there will extract a pretty penny from eminent domain proceedings delaying everything by 3-5 years just for that property.
Exercise of eminent domain authority by government entities in the US typically does not cause delays of consequence. When a government entity issues its declaration of taking, the title passes and the entity now owns the property and can begin to utilize it in short order. What can and often does drag on for years is a legal proceeding appealing the amount of compensation offered by the governmental entity.
 #1329774  by bleet

The ARC tracks would have been on the south side of the NEC so they might have crossed the landfill slightly. Under ARC part of the SEC station would have been demolished so that the new ROW could have been pretty much right next to the existing one.

I think that grading on the other side of the station next to County Road must be for a new business but I think there's plenty of room for additions to the ROW which is not to say that there are not a number of places between Newark and the river where there won't have to be negotiations to acquire private property.