Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1266928  by Thomas

amtrakhogger wrote:Amtrak clearly is trying to make progress towards the ultimate goal of two new tunnels, but that nagging issue of funding always ruins the day. I just saw an article about the new F35 fighter jet, the total bill so far is $400 billion, with $163 billion in cost overruns (and the planes still can't fly.) Funny, I don't see the House GOP jumping up and down screaming about that like they do about Amtrak's funding every year.
Don31 wrote:
jcpatten wrote:According the pictures in the AJC website it looks like the excavation is headed smack-dab to the center of a bridge support. Hopefully the tunnel will be far enough underneath it that it won't matter.
It will pass beneath it.....
1. How much higher is the 11th Avenue Viaduct at 31st Street and 11th avenue over West Side Yard's Surface Level?

2. Any updates on the Proposed Block 780 Station?
 #1266979  by OportRailfan

Thomas wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:Amtrak clearly is trying to make progress towards the ultimate goal of two new tunnels, but that nagging issue of funding always ruins the day. I just saw an article about the new F35 fighter jet, the total bill so far is $400 billion, with $163 billion in cost overruns (and the planes still can't fly.) Funny, I don't see the House GOP jumping up and down screaming about that like they do about Amtrak's funding every year.
Don31 wrote:
jcpatten wrote:According the pictures in the AJC website it looks like the excavation is headed smack-dab to the center of a bridge support. Hopefully the tunnel will be far enough underneath it that it won't matter.
It will pass beneath it.....
1. How much higher is the 11th Avenue Viaduct at 31st Street and 11th avenue over West Side Yard's Surface Level?

2. Any updates on the Proposed Block 780 Station?
3. Who cares. It'll eventually get built. Until then keep it in your pants, ladies & gents.
 #1267015  by Thomas

Why isn't the Tunnel Box being connected to Penn Station's Throat?

After all, the distance from the east side of the Tunnel Box to Penn Station's Throat is less than 100 feet...
 #1267710  by Steve F45

How many tracks is the tunnel box supposed to be? I recently saw some more construction pictures and 2 excavators could barely fit side by side in the trench.
 #1267737  by Greg Moore

Steve F45 wrote:How many tracks is the tunnel box supposed to be? I recently saw some more construction pictures and 2 excavators could barely fit side by side in the trench.
2 tracks
 #1275414  by jlr3266

I love large-scale projects. That bracing to support the concrete formwork is a bigger engineering effort than many high-rise buildings.
 #1275415  by jlr3266

Steve F45 wrote:How many tracks is the tunnel box supposed to be? I recently saw some more construction pictures and 2 excavators could barely fit side by side in the trench.
tangent rectangular tunnel sections only need 15'-6" horizontal clearance (including a safetywalk/ductbench on one side). I have not seen the structural drawings, but it is possible that the entire tunnel box is less than 40 feet wide.
 #1275426  by Don31

jlr3266 wrote:
tangent rectangular tunnel sections only need 15'-6" horizontal clearance (including a safetywalk/ductbench on one side). I have not seen the structural drawings, but it is possible that the entire tunnel box is less than 40 feet wide.
The concrete casing would be 50 feet in width (exterior).
 #1275462  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:The concrete casing would be 50 feet in width (exterior).
Would it stay the same width as it continues southwest towards 30th street and 12th Avenue?
 #1275464  by Don31

Thomas wrote:
Don31 wrote:The concrete casing would be 50 feet in width (exterior).
Would it stay the same width as it continues southwest towards 30th street and 12th Avenue?
Yes, the width would remain constant.....
 #1276067  by Thomas

The current Concrete Casing is expected to be completed this November...

Thus, is it likely for the next section of the Concrete Casing to begin construction later this year/ the beginning of next?
 #1276194  by OportRailfan

Thomas wrote:The current Concrete Casing is expected to be completed this November...

Thus, is it likely for the next section of the Concrete Casing to begin construction later this year/ the beginning of next?
Will you be funding it?!
 #1276200  by afiggatt

Thomas wrote:The current Concrete Casing is expected to be completed this November...

Depends on when they get the funding lined up and when they have to start on the extension. Odds are good that the extension as part of a larger project to protect NYP and the East & Hudson river tunnels will get funding from the $3 billion in Sandy mitigation funds to be awarded later this year. But you know that already because you keep posting the same questions over and over again.