• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Don31

red streak 1 wrote:anyone know the inside dimensions of the tunnel box under construction ?
I'll look it up when I get back to the office on Monday.
  by jlr3266

Thomas wrote:
jlr3266 wrote:Agencies always go with the agressive schedule and then fall back more and mroe to the realistic one. And then there are actual delays.
1. Is it likely for Phase 2 of the Tunnel Box (to 12th avenue) to begin immediately after Phase 1 (10th--11th Avenue) ends?

The plan is to usually award one right after the other. Reality gets in the way. Delays between contracts hurt an "incumbent" contractor take advantage of being on site to drop the mobilization costs in their bid. Which is not always a bad thing...
  by Don31

red streak 1 wrote:anyone know the inside dimensions of the tunnel box under construction ?
Two cut-and-cover tunnels within the concrete casement, each tunnel 18 feet in height by 16 feet in width.
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:
jlr3266 wrote:Agencies always go with the agressive schedule and then fall back more and mroe to the realistic one. And then there are actual delays.
1. Is it likely for Phase 2 of the Tunnel Box (to 12th avenue) to begin immediately after Phase 1 (10th--11th Avenue) ends?

2. How high above the rail will the catenary be located?
1. As I said last week, if Related has no plans to build west of 11th Avenue, there would be no need for a Phase 2.

2. I don't know.
  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:
Thomas wrote:

2. How high above the rail will the catenary be located?
1. As I said last week, if Related has no plans to build west of 11th Avenue, there would be no need for a Phase 2.

2. I don't know.
Where can we access updated photos of the Hudson Yards Construction regarding the Tunnel Box?
  by rvlch

tunnelbox 1_16_14_1.jpg
Thursday Jan 16, 2014
  by Thomas

rvlch wrote:
tunnelbox 1_16_14_1.jpg
Thursday Jan 16, 2014
What infrastructure is being built to the immediate right of that green fence?
  by afiggatt

Good to see that real progress is being made on the tunnel box project. And pretty quickly after the contract award compared to so many other projects where the contracts are awarded and then nothing happens for months or even a year or two. Having a developer seeking to get started soon on their big bucks project has helped to move the process along.
  by Thomas

How is the tunnel box construction coming on now in regard to it's schedule?
  by Defiant

Looks messy, but I guess it is supposed to :) So the tunnel box is within those red fences in the middle of the photo? Is it wide enough for two tracks within reasonable clearance? And some space for maintenance. It is hard to tell from the photo.
  by jlr3266

Scaling from the equipment, it is definitely big enough for a two-track structure with benches on either side.
  by Thomas

But doesn't the tunnel box become narrower near 10th Avenue?
  by Thomas

Below is a link regarding the most recent updated of Amtrak's CONCRETE CASING that is being constructed by Tutor Perini.

http://www.amtrakoig.gov/sites/default/ ... 14-004.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by jlr3266

Translation: The railroads are insisting on more men to provide protection than is really necessary, and LIRR has started whipping out the "wishlist" items for the replacement facility.
  by Thomas

Thomas wrote:Below is a link regarding the most recent updated of Amtrak's CONCRETE CASING that is being constructed by Tutor Perini.

http://www.amtrakoig.gov/sites/default/ ... 14-004.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jlr3266 wrote:Translation: The railroads are insisting on more men to provide protection than is really necessary, and LIRR has started whipping out the "wishlist" items for the replacement facility.
Amtrak, on Slide 2, said, "If the concrete casing project is excessively delayed and negatively impacts the commercial development schedule, Amtrak could be required to abandon the project. This could put completion of the Gateway Program at risk."

Lolz, then what?!?!