Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Paul Joyce (3rd Rail)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1212176  by Arborway

This is truly shocking and sad news.

As a kid, my dad would take me into Boston on the T and I'd look around and wonder how something like that ever came to be and how it worked. I mean, you know how buildings get made - that happens every day. You can see a bridge get built. But subways were always this exotic thing that no one seemed to know much about. The T was just there and it had always been there. But I wanted to know more.

Much later, I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of people like Paul Joyce, who filled in the history, knew the trivia and would be more than happy to get in a lively debate about the past, present or future.

He's been such a fixture here in my seven years on the forums that it's hard to imagine him not dropping by the next thread to offer some insight or critique.

He'll be missed. :(
 #1212701  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: After a long absence for much of the Summer of 2013 (I am recovering from a shoulder injury)
I am now catching up on what has been going on here at Railroad.Net and I noticed that Paul Joyce had
passed away...I enjoyed reading his insights and memories of all things Boston and the MBTA Forum lost
a respected member here...I will remember his "Quiz" sections as a good example...

I will remember that for example when forum members had disagreements with one another over topics
he was a voice of reason and sort of an assistant moderator that kept things in line when it was needed
and his wealth of knowledge will be especially missed here...

I read the obituary and I offer my condolences to all of his family and friends not only here at the MBTA
Forum but to the entire New England rail enthusiast community which knew and remember him well...

Rest in peace,Paul
MACTRAXX
 #1212785  by MBTA1016

Teamdriver wrote:It's just so sad to come here and not see a new comment by the Rail............
Agreed teamdriver, already miss his insights and his humor.
 #1212797  by atsf sp

The knowledge and facts that Paul gave to this forum was always insightful and interesting. The quiz was always fun and seeing the 3rdRail posts appear was a reason to get excited about a thread. RIP Paul
 #1212823  by MEC407

I still have some messages from him in my PM inbox, and I still see his username (3rdrail) on the side of the screen whenever I check my messages. Still can't believe he's gone. :(
 #1213439  by MaineCoonCat

Sure going to miss his contributions. He had a knack for sharing knowledge and doing it in an entertaining and fun way.