Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Paul Joyce (3rd Rail)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1208533  by CRail

He was a wealth of knowledge, a strong advocate for public service, and a great voice for public transit. He was a key participant in many heated debates, like myself. And through such debates, regardless of what side we were on, I developed an incredible amount of respect and admiration for this gentleman, this scholar.

It is with a heavy heart that I post my last message to our friend Paul "3rdRail" Joyce.
 #1208537  by Adams_Umass_Boston

This is awful. I had just emailed him last week.

Paul was a great man, he gave me a personal tour of the Bussey Bridge accident when I came to visit him last year. He also had an amazing dog.

I will cherish the map he gave me after winning one of the contests in the Quiz forum.

So SAD!
 #1208543  by BostonUrbEx

Wow, just came across the news on Twitter. How awful! Paul was a great asset to this forum and transit history in general. I know I will hold on dearly to the book he mailed me for winning a quiz once. I'm truly stunned to hear this news, and deeply saddened. I feel there is still so much more he could have shared with us. RIP Paul, you will be missed.
 #1208550  by The EGE

Well, damn. We lost a mighty fine man today. I think half of us in this forum have something from him - Paul was exceptionally generous with his quizzes. He'll be well missed; wherever he is, may the El always be arriving as he steps onto the platform.
 #1208641  by wicked

RIP. He could be easily irritated by stupid questions from us newcomers, but he also was a fountain of information and history -- institutional knowledge is always important. I'm glad he shared so much of his knowledge here on this forum, and I wish I'd had the chance to meet him. RIP.

(Was he ill? It seemed like his presence here lately had been much reduced.)
 #1208703  by StevieC48

Sgt Paul Joyce (3rdRail) was ga great historian who was up there with
The late George Sanborn on his vast knowledge of history. Paul won't
Be the same wih you. Eternal Rest be granted to your son Paul Joyce
 #1208725  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Wow. That is a gut-punch. :(

Beyond being one of this forum's preeminent historians, he was without a doubt one of the nicest chaps around. He was a joy to read. Whether he was talking streetcar history or BPD or old-time Boston or rail miscellany he brought his subjects to life with humor and enthusiasm. It wasn't just information...he was painting vivid pictures of how an ever-chaotic city "worked" through the years. And that's rare.