Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Paul Joyce (3rd Rail)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1208773  by BostonUrbEx

Just wanted to add that Paul's son does, or used to, have a forum account (Twire, I believe). His account, however, does not appear in the forum memberlist at this time for some reason. I know he did pop by on occasion, and if there was only one thing Paul loved more than traction and Boston, it was surely his son. Here's hoping Twire finds peace during this difficult time.

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Wow. That is a gut-punch. :(

Beyond being one of this forum's preeminent historians, he was without a doubt one of the nicest chaps around. He was a joy to read. Whether he was talking streetcar history or BPD or old-time Boston or rail miscellany he brought his subjects to life with humor and enthusiasm. It wasn't just information...he was painting vivid pictures of how an ever-chaotic city "worked" through the years. And that's rare.
Well put, sir. He truly knew how to spin a good yarn.
 #1208890  by jwhite07

This forum, and this community, has suffered a loss in Paul's passing. I always found him very interesting and enthusiastic, in matters of public transportation, police work, and just about anything else he ever held dear. His knowledge and willingness to share it was a gift to us all. Sergeant Joyce, thank you, and may your loved ones, family, and all whose lives you touched remember you well.
 #1208963  by dieciduej

I have been a MBTA/transit enthusiast for the bulk of my years, with a grasp of the Boston transit scene during these years. I thought I knew the past history of the BERy and MTA but Paul opened my eyes to things I never knew or was able to clear up misconceptions. His quizzes took our brains out for exercise and that is always a good thing. He will be sorely missed.

I send my condolences to the Joyce family and my they have strength during this time of loss.

The last time I met with Paul was at the dedication of the George Sanborn Transportation Library and I share this with you.
Attachments:
3rd Rail
(158.68 KiB) Downloaded 9236 times
 #1209461  by highgreen215

Just happened to open up this topic on the Forum and was shocked to learn it was Paul Joyce. The main discussion I had with him was about the exact location of the Mt. Bellevue carhouses, most people didn't know they even existed. He was one of the best "go to" guys in this fascinating hobby. I wish, now, I had met him in person - we would have had so much to talk about. RIP, Paul.
EdB
 #1210077  by danib62

It's a been a while since I've popped in here but I just came here and saw this. This is a major loss to this community. Paul was one of my favorite posters here and a great resource to all. His presence will be missed here and I'm sad that I was not able to meet him in person.