Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Paul Joyce (3rd Rail)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1220634  by Septaman113

So sorry to hear about Paul "3rd Rail' Joyce. I didn't know him except on here conversing and he would post on the SEPTA forum and I would see his knowledgable post on the MBTA forum. Since he was a Sgt on the Boston PD I PMed him a long time ago telling him my Uncle was a Sgt on the Philly PD and he sent a very nice message back to me. My Condolences and Prayers are with his family.
 #1225828  by markhb

It's been a while since this was posted, and I've avoided saying anything because I didn't know quite what to say. But while I never met Paul, I always enjoyed reading his posts and conversing with him on rr.net, and I found it very interesting that before he was a Boston cop, he was a policeman up here in Portland (way back in the pre-Chitwood era). My thoughts and prayers remain with him and his family.
 #1227488  by Teamdriver

I found this story about a new book , “Images of Rail: Boston’s Orange Line” is a photojournalism history of what is now a subway and light rail line. - See more at: http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2013/11/ ... ut8V6.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't help but think of the Rail , either writing such a book by himself , or the discussion spearheaded by himself of this new book. Boy , I miss that dude !
 #1227562  by MBTA1016

Teamdriver wrote:Boy , I miss that dude !
We all do driver. It's still weird not seeing his posts again. Rest in peace Sgt.
 #1227888  by Cosmo

Paul,
...may your signals be green, may the track rise to meet your wheels, may the tracks always be clear ahead...
...and may you be off the clock an hour before the supervisor realizes you're gone!
I shall drink many Guinness in your honor sir.
 #1228082  by Teamdriver

Cosmo wrote:Paul,
...may your signals be green, may the track rise to meet your wheels, may the tracks always be clear ahead...
...and may you be off the clock an hour before the supervisor realizes you're gone!
I shall drink many , Guinness in your honor sir.
Cosmo , try to tip a few Anchor Steamers too, the Rail told me he was into them.
Dia leat , Rail !
 #1228202  by Cosmo

Teamdriver wrote:
Cosmo , try to tip a few Anchor Steamers too, the Rail told me he was into them.
Dia leat , Rail !
Will do! :wink:
 #1228320  by Teamdriver

Cosmo wrote:
Teamdriver wrote:
Dia leat , Rail !
Will do! :wink:
Good man !
 #1228450  by MEC407

We should have a "Chocolate Trilogy" in Paul's honor. :-D
 #1228681  by MBTA1016

MEC407 wrote:We should have a "Chocolate Trilogy" in Paul's honor. :-D
Second that idea MEC.
 #1229892  by fl9m2026

I have been away from the forums for several months now, and was shocked to find out my friend Paul had passed. This was extremely saddening for me as off the boards, Paul and I had corresponded often. We had a lot in common, including both being career police sergeants (he worked for Boston, I worked for Bolton... just one letter off :-D ) whose careers were ended by injuries and our passion for Boston area rail transportation. Paul's knowledge and love of Boston and it's rail/transit history was boundless, and he was a good, caring man as well. I always enjoyed his quiz's as they were challenging and educational too/

God Speed, Paul, I will miss you. You've finished your last tour and are now "Ocean Frank".

Mike S.
 #1229954  by BigUglyCat

For those who may wonder, code Ocean Frank indicates "Off the air" or "Signing off."

I thought of Code 13 ("On assignment outside city limits") or Code 26 ("On duty at special event")

We're missing you, 3rd Rail. :(
 #1239445  by MarkB

I hadn't realized how long it's been since I looked at this forum. Paul and I shared neighborhood roots, so I always appreciated his special knowledge of Forest Hills and the Orange Line. RIP, my friend.