• NJT New Jersey Transit New System Map / Logo

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

cruiser939 wrote:You're missing the point. If this map is only put on NJT trains and no NJT trains run to West Trenton, then what purpose does putting it on the map serve?
Oh trust me i do see your point!! i just find it silly to not include other interstate connection points by rail (which i myself have used several times). It suggests one should attempt to travel from trenton transit center via 30th street to access the former reading line stations which is easily shortened by transferring via bus when planning a trip ending or beginning at such (which i've also done).

It's a moot point now, the map is how it is and nothing i say will ever matter in future revisions. :)
  by waldwickrailfan

25Hz wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:You're missing the point. If this map is only put on NJT trains and no NJT trains run to West Trenton, then what purpose does putting it on the map serve?
Oh trust me i do see your point!! i just find it silly to not include other interstate connection points by rail (which i myself have used several times). It suggests one should attempt to travel from trenton transit center via 30th street to access the former reading line stations which is easily shortened by transferring via bus when planning a trip ending or beginning at such (which i've also done).

It's a moot point now, the map is how it is and nothing i say will ever matter in future revisions. :)
i dont think NJT would post connecting services for other rail lines besides their own. however there are some exceptions.
  by railedprograms

the new system map reminds me of the ones produced in the late 80s
  by 25Hz

Just the rail geek in me, but it would be cool i think if they published a map similar to the ones the fallen flags used to. With all the rivers, towns mountains and such.

I'd even settle for a simplified...

http://njrails.tripod.com/20th_Century/ ... _large.jpg
  by Roadgeek Adam

25Hz wrote:Just the rail geek in me, but it would be cool i think if they published a map similar to the ones the fallen flags used to. With all the rivers, towns mountains and such.

I'd even settle for a simplified...

http://njrails.tripod.com/20th_Century/ ... _large.jpg
Warning, tripod links are not normally good for linking like that. (Hint: It doesn't work)
  by uzplayer

cruiser939 wrote: I know totally. The news will eat this one up... oh wait, they don't actually care.

Serious question uzplayer. If service were ever to be considered for the NYS&W., buuuuuut only if the map depicting it would be in this style... would you as leader of the NYS&W facebook page consent?
They would actually. They thrive on blunders like this.

Your question otherwise is dumb and misguided. Thanks for interjecting your daily dose of cheese into this mess of a thread.
  by uzplayer

ryanov wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:I haven't posted in this thread since it was started so let me start off by saying that this map is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I would also like to assure you that most of my coworkers feel the same way. Unfortunately, there is one person here who has entirely way too much power than he really deserves. This new map has been a pet project of his for about 2 years now AFAIK and it looks like he finally snuck it by the sleeping head of Jim Weinstein. How anyone could think this was a good idea baffles me. I'll now revert to my typical style of posting to respond piecemeal to some of your comments.
I don't like the map much either, but I'm curious if you could share some specifics that cause you to dislike it so much?

Personally, I take issue with the crappy gray color chosen for the Bergen County Line. I thought it was actually pretty smart of them to the two as distinct on station monitors by showing one line in yellow on black and the other in black on yellow. Do that for the Gladstone Branch too and it's all set. Gray? C'mon. There are more ACTUAL colors one could use before resorting to a shade of black.
It looks like someone got a cheap designer at the lowest bid, and told them to make a Metrorail style map that would be compatible with a smartphone or tablet PC. I noticed the QR code in the upper left hand corner. Anyone try it? Where does it goto?
  by waldwickrailfan

25Hz wrote:Ok here:

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... cf894f.jpg

Hope that works.
the link works :)

i find the older one more accurate and about half are still here today. just my opinion
  by JCGUY

There is a sign on I-78 that lists a distance to Philipsburg in kilometers. My intuition is that whatever guy approved that road sign must have designed the new rail map.
  by cruiser939

uzplayer wrote:
cruiser939 wrote: I know totally. The news will eat this one up... oh wait, they don't actually care.

Serious question uzplayer. If service were ever to be considered for the NYS&W., buuuuuut only if the map depicting it would be in this style... would you as leader of the NYS&W facebook page consent?
They would actually. They thrive on blunders like this.

Your question otherwise is dumb and misguided. Thanks for interjecting your daily dose of cheese into this mess of a thread.
Then how come the press hasn't picked up on this and run with it yet???

Furthermore:
1. I like cheese.
2. You didn't answer my question.
3. Does not answering the question imply that the facebook page would not consent to rail service on the NYS&W if it was depicted on this new type of map?
  by cruiser939

JCGUY wrote:There is a sign on I-78 that lists a distance to Philipsburg in kilometers. My intuition is that whatever guy approved that road sign must have designed the new rail map.
Your intuition is off. I wish I could blame this on politics but it's just one moronic idea of someone with too much authority and ignorance/apathy on the part of executive leadership.
  by 25Hz

Cruiser, are there any other maps in the works or under consideration? If so what do you think they resemble if different from the old & new one?
  by uzplayer

cruiser939 wrote:Then how come the press hasn't picked up on this and run with it yet???
Because I haven't submitted it yet.
cruiser939 wrote:Furthermore:
1. I like cheese.
That's why you probably smell like something rotting.
cruiser939 wrote:2. You didn't answer my question.
3. Does not answering the question imply that the facebook page would not consent to rail service on the NYS&W if it was depicted on this new type of map?
[/quote]

Yes I did. In your style.
  by uzplayer

cruiser939 wrote: Your intuition is off. I wish I could blame this on politics but it's just one moronic idea of someone with too much authority and ignorance/apathy on the part of executive leadership.
So in other words, we are stuck with this map for a while...aren't we?