• NJT New Jersey Transit New System Map / Logo

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

Good thing i have itrans njt for helping others plan trips & don't have to look at this stupid map to get around myself.
  by OportRailfan

wolfboy8171981 wrote:wow, all this over a map nobody on this board needs to read anyway........ sigh.
BUMP.

To paraphrase what wolfboy already said...you guys are still squabbling over this? I think too many on here wait for these maps to try and pick them apart.

Think of it this way: The map was probably made by someone who works for NJT. Someone who isn't a buff. Someone who doesn't understand that this diesel train isn't going to New York Penn. Someone who works for NJT that doesn't care what last year's map, the map from 10 years ago, or the map from 30 years ago looked like.

/rant
  by sixty-six

OportRailfan wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:wow, all this over a map nobody on this board needs to read anyway........ sigh.
BUMP.

To paraphrase what wolfboy already said...you guys are still squabbling over this? I think too many on here wait for these maps to try and pick them apart.

Think of it this way: The map was probably made by someone who works for NJT. Someone who isn't a buff. Someone who doesn't understand that this diesel train isn't going to New York Penn. Someone who works for NJT that doesn't care what last year's map, the map from 10 years ago, or the map from 30 years ago looked like.

/rant
If you would read one of cruiser's posts above, you would know the story about who made the map :wink:
  by Kaback9

OportRailfan wrote:
BUMP.

/rant
Amen to that.
  by OportRailfan

sixty-six wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:
BUMP.

/rant
If you would read one of cruiser's posts above, you would know the story about who made the map :wink:
True. I missed cruiser's post over the, "this looks like that map from the 90's" posts.
  by uzplayer

OportRailfan wrote:True. I missed cruiser's post over the, "this looks like that map from the 90's" posts.
It's pretty sad actually.
  by Jeff Smith

cruiser939 wrote:I haven't posted in this thread since it was started so let me start off by saying that this map is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
And for you, that must be saying a lot.

Wait until they add the cutoff...... the internet will explode. :-)
  by uzplayer

Jeff Smith wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:I haven't posted in this thread since it was started so let me start off by saying that this map is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
And for you, that must be saying a lot.

Wait until they add the cutoff...... the internet will explode. :-)
I just wonder how. It would seem next to impossible to add anything else to this monstrosity.
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:Cruiser, are there any other maps in the works or under consideration? If so what do you think they resemble if different from the old & new one?
No.
  by cruiser939

uzplayer wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:Then how come the press hasn't picked up on this and run with it yet???
Because I haven't submitted it yet.
Then what are you waiting for? Surely a slight against humanity on this scale needs to be addressed rather than just the vague "threat" of contacting the media.
uzplayer wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:Furthermore:
1. I like cheese.
That's why you probably smell like something rotting.
Good one Ace. I guess you must have a low opinion on how you smell as well since you've professed your love of cheese on these boards as well: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... se#p978098
uzplayer wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:2. You didn't answer my question.
3. Does not answering the question imply that the facebook page would not consent to rail service on the NYS&W if it was depicted on this new type of map?
Yes I did. In your style.
You really didn't, not that it matters that much. But if you honestly think you did, we might have more problems than I originally thought.
  by cruiser939

uzplayer wrote:
cruiser939 wrote: Your intuition is off. I wish I could blame this on politics but it's just one moronic idea of someone with too much authority and ignorance/apathy on the part of executive leadership.
So in other words, we are stuck with this map for a while...aren't we?
I'd think so, yes.
  by uzplayer

cruiser939 wrote: So in other words, we are stuck with this map for a while...aren't we?
I'd think so, yes.[/quote]

I didn't see the map put up yet. Either that, or I was rushing too fast for my train to notice.
  by waldwickrailfan

i have seen maps at the Ho-Ho-Kus train station and 2 comet V's out of the 5 i've riden in since the new map was put up.
  by Hawaiitiki

If anyone else has ventured in the new Ferry Terminal, you'll notice that one of the first things you'll see is a human-sized illuminated version of this map. It still looks stupid but certainly looks a lot better in person than it does on the computer.
  by Tadman

An interesting read: When NYCTA redesigned their map in 1972, they posted this article in response to complaints. It has a lot of relevance to this discussion.

http://subway.com.ru/maps/images/1972-article-l.jpg

"the new map is designed to sweep away the clutter of information that covered the old map"

BTW, they hired Massimo Vignelli, the famous graphic designer, to do the 1972 map.