• NJT New Jersey Transit New System Map / Logo

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Amtrak7

And the logo for the Morristown line doesn't even match the color of the line itself!
  by R36 Combine Coach

Or a return to something simpler: the simple line graphic maps of the 1980s and 90s.
  by wolfboy8171981

wow, all this over a map nobody on this board needs to read anyway........ sigh.
  by 25Hz

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Or a return to something simpler: the simple line graphic maps of the 1980s and 90s.

Brilliant! Lets use that one, it even has west trenton. The college of new jersey is there, you'd think they'd make an effort to show off other schools aside from montclair and princeton.

Yea wolfboy, but it's embarrassing.
  by Kaback9

25Hz wrote:

Brilliant! Lets use that one, it even has west trenton.

IIRC a few of the more recent maps did include this as well.
  by sullivan1985

wolfboy8171981 wrote:wow, all this over a map nobody on this board needs to read anyway........ sigh.
Come on now. You know once 21M is off the scene you sneak a peak when nobody is looking.
  by wolfboy8171981

Sully,
I dont need to look at the map, becasue: A. I'm Mr. North Jersey, and B. I would never...NEVER take the train if i could drive there faster. Honestly, in this state and the section of Central/South Jersey I live in there is no train to take.
  by morris&essex4ever

So I emailed Transit about why they changed the rail system map and here's the response I got:
The new map was developed by NJ TRANSIT in-house, features a more open design and new color scheme for easy customer reference, as well as enhancements to more clearly indicate transfer points and service areas by rail line.

The new rail system marks a change from the previous map’s strictly geographical format to one that is more typical of transit maps. The more customer-friendly design features:
Color coding to designate individual rail spurs. For example, the Bergen County Line and the Gladstone Line, which were previously color-coded the same as the Main Line and Morris & Essex Lines, respectively, have been given their own separate colors. These same colors will be used on station monitors throughout the system to make it easier for customers to board the correct train at their station.
Statewide scale that features an outline of New Jersey, allowing customers to more easily orient themselves.
Transfer points highlighted to provide a clearer indication of where customers can transfer between rail lines, and between rail and light rail services.
QR code, or “Quick Response” code, that enables smart phone users to scan and be directly linked to the mobile version of njtransit.com.
Updated information that includes the completion of Hudson-Bergen Light Rail 8th Street Station, accessibility improvements at Somerville, Ridgewood and Plauderville stations, and the addition of the future Pennsauken Transit Center.
Couldn't they have updated station improvements on an updated version of the old map. Were people really confused about the Main vs Bergen County lines or the Gladstone Branch vs the Morristown Line?
  by waldwickrailfan

when i checked on departurevision a few days ago, the BCL was not blue, it was a light gray. an improvement in my books, but not blue as they stated in M&E4ever's post.

No BS!!!
  by 25Hz

I have to really shake my head at that response.

Honestly the timetable is more explanatory than the map when it comes to transfers and direct trains to wherever. Maps are great for trip planning, finding out which station is best to use in terms of parking and distance, the timetable should give you all the rest of the information. I mean is it that hard to see the list of stations down one side and if there's no time listed obviously it's not stopping there.... or am i giving people too much credit?

And yea, the most recent map before this blunder had septa's connection to west trenton and the ACL via 30th street, which is actually pretty damn relevant to some people. West trenton trains also usually go to the airport as well on the other side of 30th so not having it is really stupid if you ask me.
  by wolfboy8171981

25Hz wrote:............ And yea, the most recent map before this blunder had septa's connection to west trenton and the ACL via 30th street, which is actually pretty damn relevant to some people. West trenton trains also usually go to the airport as well on the other side of 30th so not having it is really stupid if you ask me.
Doesn't NJ Transit stand for North Jersey Trainsit. I'm surprised they remembered about the ACL line.............
  by uzplayer

Cardinal Rule of Marketing: If one person interpreted it wrong, then others will too.
chuchubob wrote:The Dinky is shown as a light rail line.

If you look at the map "very carefully" you will notice the circle sizes indicated for the Meadowlands Line and Princeton Line are in fact the same size as other "heavy rail" stations indicated on the map - even my 7 year old son noticed that, it's basic Sesame street stuff here guys. I'm just guessing here, but I think whoever put this map together may have thought people would have been smart enough to make the distinction, but based on the comments above they were apparently mistaken...[/quote]
  by 25Hz

Ok, so the new map is a disaster. What do any of you recomrnded as a fix? My idea is to go back to the old map but have a kick map style layout.
  by TDowling

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: After looking at this map some more it reminds me of the MTA's 1975 Commuter Rail Guide map that also showed the Erie Lackawanna Railway in purple and PATH in black...
The EL lines shown were those that ran into Rockland and Orange Counties from Hoboken...today's Main Line/Bergen County Line and Pascack Valley lines...

In the early 80s the MTA issued a Commuter Rail Guide map that was much better-and geographically correct...like some earlier NJT maps mentioned are...

MACTRAXX
Do you happen to have a link that would show that 1975 map? Just curious...