• My new Skemil Railroad, Western Division

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Cadet57

daylight4449 wrote:well, this may or may not happen, but i may suspend work on the skemil. i have been planning with my father to purchase plymouth cordage #5. she's a 0-4-0CA, built to 41" track gauge. she is on display at edaville, and it certianly looks like there won't be a new owner by the end of january, so we may purchase and restore plymouth cordage #5 using the funds we were saving to get another ATV for the coming year. she's powered by compressed air, and was built by baldwin locomotive works in 1928, to the design of plymouth cordage #1, which was built in 1877 by baldwin. she'll need new piping, and saftey appliances such as headlights and a bell. i do intend to add front running boards, and construct two dump side cars, and build a line on a switch back up the hill in my back yard. this would allow us to move more leaves to a larger compost pile when we are doing yard work in the spring and fall. the prospect of purchasing and restoring her continues to grow, as my father is very intrigued by the information i am finding with my research. it shouldn't prove hard to move, as i have the resources and man power readily avalible to move plymouth cordage #5 to my home should this plan come to fruition
Uh huh... Yeah I'd like to see how whatever town you live in enjoys the idea of a narrow gauge rail line in ones backyard... Thats if one can even get the locomotive into their possession.
  by daylight4449

Cadet57 wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:well, this may or may not happen, but i may suspend work on the skemil. i have been planning with my father to purchase plymouth cordage #5. she's a 0-4-0CA, built to 41" track gauge. she is on display at edaville, and it certianly looks like there won't be a new owner by the end of january, so we may purchase and restore plymouth cordage #5 using the funds we were saving to get another ATV for the coming year. she's powered by compressed air, and was built by baldwin locomotive works in 1928, to the design of plymouth cordage #1, which was built in 1877 by baldwin. she'll need new piping, and saftey appliances such as headlights and a bell. i do intend to add front running boards, and construct two dump side cars, and build a line on a switch back up the hill in my back yard. this would allow us to move more leaves to a larger compost pile when we are doing yard work in the spring and fall. the prospect of purchasing and restoring her continues to grow, as my father is very intrigued by the information i am finding with my research. it shouldn't prove hard to move, as i have the resources and man power readily avalible to move plymouth cordage #5 to my home should this plan come to fruition
Uh huh... Yeah I'd like to see how whatever town you live in enjoys the idea of a narrow gauge rail line in ones backyard... Thats if one can even get the locomotive into their possession.
while a fuly operational narrow gauge railroad is more over a pipe dream, chances are track will be laid from the tarp garage in my back yard to my front yard. i'll keep you all updated
  by daylight4449

just heard from edaville. they said that they don't have plymouth cordage #5
  by daylight4449

Komachi wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:just heard from edaville. they said that they don't have plymouth cordage #5
Oh, SNAP!!!
ya. tell me about it. i'll probably try and convince my dad to fund a 7 1/2 in. gauge live steamer for me and him to build
  by steemtrayn

Can't post a pic, but you're gonna build a steam engine?
  by daylight4449

steemtrayn wrote:Can't post a pic, but you're gonna build a steam engine?
potentially. good news, but i'm picking up the stuff to make the legs some time this week. way better than making the layout on the floor. also, i have a thread for the steam locomotive (Project Vertigo)
  by daylight4449

got all of the intalled foam boards painted as of today. had to push back getting supplies for my table legs to this week (hopefully). i got a can of spray foam and some cedar shilings that i will use for work on the skemil depot and platforms. i'll get to work on the depot tommorow. with any luck, i'll have a significant portion of the depot finished tommorow
  by daylight4449

well, i have made huge progress this weekend. the cracks between my boards have been sprayfoamed, and most importantly of all, my DPLS class mikado ha been fully painted!!! i used some testors spray paint, and i'm going to use normal paints to touch up the striping on the tender. the locomotive has also been fully lettered. gold times new roman on the tender state the skemil heritage, with the number 703 on the left side of her cab, and the right is labeled with DPLS. the roof has SRLW on it, which is the skemil's route abrivation. also on my list today is to get a photobucket working so i can post my pics for all to see!
  by daylight4449

tried to set up photobucket at school. no dice, so i'll try when i get home
  by daylight4449

that should do it. my pics should be viewable
  by daylight4449

so, what do you all think of the pictures i have of the layout so far? please, i want to know what you guys think