• My new Skemil Railroad, Western Division

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

daylight4449 wrote:paint scheme and logo finished. will upload to my facebook page monday
I know it's hard to believe, but NOT EVERYBODY has a Facebook profile. So, non-Facebook types won't be able to access your profile.

Also, I tried to access the album while I was logged into Facebook (yes, I'm one of the members of the board who do), and Facebook wouldn't let me.

So, here's what you do...

You go to a FREE (FREE... ZIP, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH for a membership fee) image hosting site, like Photobucket (that's the one I use), sign up and upload your pictures there. Then, copy and paste the IMG codes to your posts here on railroad.net, so that we can all enjoy your efforts.

daylight4449 wrote:my road's streamliner, the "David P. Lambert Limited". paint scheme will follow the pattern used by the olympian hiwatha.
As a Milwaukee Road guy (my hometown was on the MILW), I have to give you a thumbs-up on that! :-D

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/boomertrail ... ilw-16.jpg
  by daylight4449

Komachi wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:paint scheme and logo finished. will upload to my facebook page monday
I know it's hard to believe, but NOT EVERYBODY has a Facebook profile. So, non-Facebook types won't be able to access your profile.

Also, I tried to access the album while I was logged into Facebook (yes, I'm one of the members of the board who do), and Facebook wouldn't let me.

So, here's what you do...

You go to a FREE (FREE... ZIP, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH for a membership fee) image hosting site, like Photobucket (that's the one I use), sign up and upload your pictures there. Then, copy and paste the IMG codes to your posts here on railroad.net, so that we can all enjoy your efforts.

daylight4449 wrote:my road's streamliner, the "David P. Lambert Limited". paint scheme will follow the pattern used by the olympian hiwatha.
As a Milwaukee Road guy (my hometown was on the MILW), I have to give you a thumbs-up on that! :-D

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/boomertrail ... ilw-16.jpg
woops, sorry, my security settings did that. i'll see if i can upload thm here
  by daylight4449

preliminary schedules, Part 1

Skemil Railroad Schedule
I) Passenger Trains
A) “varnish”
1) Train 1, “David P. Lambert”
a) Depart Skemil at 10:30 A.M
b) Arrive in Court Royale at 10:45 A.M
Depart Court Royale at 10:50 A.M
c) Arrive in South River 11:05 A.M
2) Train 2, “Matt Young”
a) Depart South River 1:30 P.M
b) Arrive at Court Royale 1:45 P.M
Depart Court Royale 1:50 P.M
c) Arrive at Skemil 2:05 P.M
3) Trains 3 and 4, the “Jayhawk”
a) Northbound
i) Depart Skemil 8:30 A.M
ii) Arrive in Leicester 8:45 A.M
Depart Leicester 8:50 A.M
iii) Arrive in North City 9:10 A.M
b) Southbound
i) Depart North City 9:20 A.M
ii) Arrive at Leicester 9:40 A.M
Depart Leicester 9:45 A.M
iii) Arrive at Skemil 10:00 A.M
  by daylight4449

construction work continuing. half of the foam base is down, and that half has been given a light green base coat. ground foam has been laid down on half of the ready section of the layout. victory, thy name is lambe! :-D
i'm also psyched to announce that the plan is to have at least the skemil part of the layout finished by april, or mostly done, so it can be unveiled at the leicester high school evening with the arts. also there will be the first of the skemil's locomotives to recieve the paint scheme, DPLS-class mikado #1945. i'll give you the skemil's "official history" as soon as i get around to it. i just love progress, don't you.
P.S i've been taking pictures of my progress with my DSi, and once i fix my facebook settings, i'll send them to facebook so you all can see. :P
  by daylight4449

sent otto an article for the site. very interesting and different, if i say so myself. hoping to install a prototype of "the device" on the skemil
:-D
  by daylight4449

work is continuing on the skemil as planned. ground cover has been started, although it looks like burnt leaves mixed with mud. first structure has been finished(a water tower) , and will be kitbashed to look similar to the one described in the most recent MR. good news is that the model is a atlas kit, which is called for in the article. began work on a new rolling stock kit, an accurail steel boxcar. i plan to repaint it, and add working side doors, new trucks, and kadee couplers. my athearn USRA mike i kitbashed into a "DPLS-class" mikado is ready for painting. talk about progress :-D
  by daylight4449

happy veterans day guys :-D
well, all of my foam paneling is down, but i still need about 10 to 15 more pieces to finish the table top scenery base. so, about half way done with the foam. planning to begin planning to marking down locations of where will the wiring will be attached, and i've finished planning on the skemil section of the layout, wiring locations, building locations, roads, rivers, ect...
  by daylight4449

think i fixed the links for the current pictures
  by Komachi

daylight4449 wrote:think i fixed the links for the current pictures
Nope.

PHO-TO-BUCK-ET...

NOT Facebook. Like I said before, NOT ALL RR.NET USERS ARE ON FACEBOOK and you can't link your photo albums from here (I tried looking at your albums while I was signed into Facebook and I was still denied access). Photobucket, Flicker, etc. That's how you do it.

Sign up, put your pictures in an album, then copy and paste the IMG files to your posts (not unlike uploading pictures to Facebook!!!).

Like I did. Then you can do this...

(My Avatar, BTW.)
  by daylight4449

Komachi wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:think i fixed the links for the current pictures
Nope.

PHO-TO-BUCK-ET...

NOT Facebook. Like I said before, NOT ALL RR.NET USERS ARE ON FACEBOOK and you can't link your photo albums from here (I tried looking at your albums while I was signed into Facebook and I was still denied access). Photobucket, Flicker, etc. That's how you do it.

Sign up, put your pictures in an album, then copy and paste the IMG files to your posts (not unlike uploading pictures to Facebook!!!).

Like I did. Then you can do this...

(My Avatar, BTW.)
photobucket it is then
  by daylight4449

well, until i get the green light for photo bucket, i think i fixed it, again. so the links should work
  by daylight4449

bad news. my track supplies are in shambles. the track is proving near impossible to clean, using conventional means like a track cleaning block to more unconventional means, such as abrasive materials (cleaning sponges w/green scrub back). any one have advice? the only locomotive capable of working on my track, and it barely makes the cut, is my PA-1. i need ideas. i wanted to set up track around my christmas tree this year so most of my equipment, save my modified genesis 2-8-2 (it has a decoder, so i'm hoping i can find a local layout or club to give it a test run on, as DCC equipment is coming some time around christmas), can get out and strech their legs.

i am planning to modfy my bachmann 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 with more detail. both will recieve new valve gear, while the 4-4-0 will recieve modern piston assemblies, and i'm hoping to retrofit it with a DCC decoder, and a road pilot on the front, so it can couple to cars and run in reverse with them. work on my mikado will include painting the parts, and adding a floor to the back of the cab that hangs between the tender and locomotive, and to add side ladders to go up to the cab.
  by Cadet57

You need to stop for a minute. First, what is wrong with your track that it can't be cleaned? Are you using something like a walthers Bright Boy? A green abrasive sponge will be useless on track. And never use SOS pads, the metal in them will get stuck to locomotive wheels and motors and short them out. Unless your track is physically rusted there is no reason for it to be uncleanable. Secondly, if this is all new track you shouldn't really have to clean it anyways. Next if track is dirty don't try to run trains on it, you'll only make the locomotive dirtier. Also, you aren't trying to run DCC locos with a normal powerpack are you? Try cleaning the locomotive wheels first, I would venture the wheels are just gunked up. My layout was sitting untouched for 2 months until recently, the first thing I did was clean every inch of track and every wheel on my locomotives.
  by daylight4449

Cadet57 wrote:You need to stop for a minute. First, what is wrong with your track that it can't be cleaned? Are you using something like a walthers Bright Boy? A green abrasive sponge will be useless on track. And never use SOS pads, the metal in them will get stuck to locomotive wheels and motors and short them out. Unless your track is physically rusted there is no reason for it to be uncleanable. Secondly, if this is all new track you shouldn't really have to clean it anyways. Next if track is dirty don't try to run trains on it, you'll only make the locomotive dirtier. Also, you aren't trying to run DCC locos with a normal powerpack are you? Try cleaning the locomotive wheels first, I would venture the wheels are just gunked up. My layout was sitting untouched for 2 months until recently, the first thing I did was clean every inch of track and every wheel on my locomotives.
o, i'm trying to run DC locomotives on the track currently. i finally managed to clean the track, which was covered in black gunk, with sand paper. clean off residue before running