• My new Skemil Railroad, Western Division

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by daylight4449

now, in a few days, the benchwork will be laid down. my western division will serve a large steel mill. this is all in HO scale. if i'm correct, i'll have it finished in about a month
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:what is "skemil?"
a fictional town i came up with. i probably should have mentioned this but, it's a frelanced town set on the northern rhode island border.
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:
a fictional town i came up with. i probably should have mentioned this but, it's a frelanced town set on the northern rhode island border.
Why don't you tell us more about your project? Is this your first layout? How big? What kinds of operation?

-otto-
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:
Why don't you tell us more about your project? Is this your first layout? How big? What kinds of operation?

-otto-
very first. frankly, it will be a switching point to point operation, and once completed, i'll work on my eastern division, which will be constructed in a similar style, made specficaly to link with my western division. at first, i'll power it with D.C, but i plan to convert to DCC once i get the eastern division completed.
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:very first. frankly, it will be a switching point to point operation, and once completed, i'll work on my eastern division, which will be constructed in a similar style, made specficaly to link with my western division. at first, i'll power it with D.C, but i plan to convert to DCC once i get the eastern division completed.
First layout? Eastern and Western Divisions? How large a layout are you planning on constructing? Most people begin with small layouts to start. If this is your first layout, you have a lot to learn, and starting out small helps.
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:very first. frankly, it will be a switching point to point operation, and once completed, i'll work on my eastern division, which will be constructed in a similar style, made specficaly to link with my western division. at first, i'll power it with D.C, but i plan to convert to DCC once i get the eastern division completed.
First layout? Eastern and Western Divisions? How large a layout are you planning on constructing? Most people begin with small layouts to start. If this is your first layout, you have a lot to learn, and starting out small helps.
trust me, i DO have a lot to learn. but both sections will be composed of a 4 by 10 table that can seperate into 4 4 by 5 sections for ease of transport
  by keeper1616

Have any photos of your work so far? How about a track plan?
  by daylight4449

keeper1616 wrote:Have any photos of your work so far? How about a track plan?
track plan has been decided apon, but construction on benchwork is expected to begin this saturday
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
keeper1616 wrote:Have any photos of your work so far? How about a track plan?
Apparently it's a secret plan.
well i need to scan the track plan to the computer, but i don't know how to post pictures. benchwork modified in design. started to put down base for scenery
  by Dieter

Question; Why would one building a new layout go DC, when the ultimate plan is to go DCC?

Suggestion; Though personally not a fan of DCC, save yourself grief, time, work and expense by going DCC from the outset, if your plan is to go DCC anyway.

What do you think of that?

Will your layout have a "Package Store"? You know, they do a brisk business on Sundays what with the laws in Taxachusetts!! :wink:

D/
  by daylight4449

this just in:
1. i've hit a snag with the slag pond
2. I'M BEHIND SCHEDULE!!! :(
i really need to get a map on here soon...