Railroad Forums 

• East End Service: Greenport Scoot, Montauk Line, Etc.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#24084  by Paul

Warning from Office of Homeland Security:

Train photography is a tool of terrorism. If you see this person due not approach. Maybe armed with heavy cameras and tripods and packs of 4X5 sheet film. Report any suspicious activities and reading materials, including any "Farmers Almanacs" to the nearest F.B.I. office.

Now I wait for the 3 a.m. knock at the door.

#24098  by RRChef

You forgot to include smells suspiciously of diesel oil and mutters strange codes such as S-1 RS-3 G-5s C-420 :P

#24107  by CLiner2005

"I decided to take the photograph before I decided not to take the photograph..." YaDa, YaDa, YaDa. :wink:
 #24169  by njgrptfan

Anyone have any Greenport pics to post from the 80's

Thanx!

#24671  by emfinite

Speaking of Greenport... I caught this going through Beth Interlocking last Thursday around 4:45 or so:

#24775  by jhdeasy

LIRR 2080 SPEONK, still identified as New Haven 535 ROCKY NECK BEACH, a 6 section 4 double bedroom 6 roomette sleeper, is providing parlor car service as passengers board the westbound train at Mattituck early on a Monday morning in August 1970. The Conductor is C. T. Parker.

Photo by Richard F. Makse.
 #24779  by jhdeasy

LIRR 2000 AMAGANSETT, still identified as B&O 7500 NAPPANEE, at Greenport in 1970. This car was a regular provider of parlor car service on the summertime Friday night Shelter Island Express from Jamaica to Greenport.

Photo by Joseph D. Korman.
 #25386  by Fla East Coast Chris

Hey All,
JUst to let you know including Don of Southold. There will be no Greenport Service on Saturday and Sunday June 19 and 20 the weekend of the US Open. Bus service provided instead.
I guess all available equipment will be used on the South Shore. OH boy they need an engine and a cab car!!!!!!
Chris :P
 #25450  by de402

glad to be avoiding the NF next weekend. whenever the RR uses buses the service is even worse. last time management sprang bus service, they underestimated the number of people that were on the train and the driver drove like a madman.

this is definetly worth a letter to public officials. welcome to a third world nation.
 #25549  by krapug

Fla East Coast Chris wrote:Hey All,
JUst to let you know including Don of Southold. There will be no Greenport Service on Saturday and Sunday June 19 and 20 the weekend of the US Open. Bus service provided instead.
I guess all available equipment will be used on the South Shore. OH boy they need an engine and a cab car!!!!!!
Chris :P
In fact there will be no train service east of Ronkonkoma next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. June 18/19/20.

The fact that they will suspend service on Friday is totally unacceptable.
On Fridays there are easily quadruple the number of riders to Greenport than there are Mon to Thur (when the train will run) and we actually have a second train on Friday afternnons as well, and this train is also well patronized. The other days of the week (mon to thur) this train only runs to Yaphank.

I like Golf, BUT not when an elitist even like the US OPen held at a private club (Shinnecock Hills ) with a still descriminatory policy on membership,
screws up my Friday commute. The LIE will be a nightmare next Friday.
The extra trains serving the US OPen will also screw up Montauk Branch service next week as well.

What to do???

Call Tim Bishops Office at 631-298-1321. (closed Friday 6/11)

Golf Open or not this is WRONG and should not be allowed to happen.

Ken

#25678  by george matthews

>>In fact there will be no train service east of Ronkonkoma next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. June 18/19/20.

The fact that they will suspend service on Friday is totally unacceptable.

On Fridays there are easily quadruple the number of riders to Greenport than there are Mon to Thur (when the train will run) and we actually have a second train on Friday afternnons as well, and this train is also well patronized. The other days of the week (mon to thur) this train only runs to Yaphank.<<

This is a third world service and not worthy of a serious public transport operator. In 1977 I arrived at Kano in Nigeria to take up a position in Niger State, whose capital was on the main railway line at Minna.

I went down to the station to enquire about trains. "There are no trains today because they are being used for the All African Arts Festival". That was not surprising in Nigeria, but in what is supposed to be a western country it should be entirely unacceptable.

I had to take the collective taxi services - a hair raising method of transport.

#25704  by NIMBYkiller

I'm tellin you, LIRR doesn't give 2 ....s about the north fork. I say hand it over to someone else, a private company, and let them run the service. It'd probably be far better than what LIRR is providin.

#25877  by Mr GP10

Does any one have the engine # on that train at Mattituck? EXCELLENT SHOT. Also what are those red lights or something above that letter K?
 #25901  by de402

the lights indicate the begining/end of the Mattituck block. Dont' really do much.

#26026  by thrdkilr

NIMBY, the only way you could turn the north fork into a successful private operation, like SCFRR, would be to get concessions from the Railroad unions. Could you get a railroad in the northeast to operate non-union? Thats how the CSX spin offs have prospered, contractors for track upkeep, tax breaks from state goverment, and non-union train personnel...