• ARC Tunnel - Revisited (Again)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by morris&essex4ever

This may or may not have been talked about elsewhere, but what will weekend service be like for the Main/Bergen/RVL lines? Will it be like Midtown direct is now with a train to NY and a shuttle train to Hoboken at Secaucus? Will PVL service be like the Gladstone Branch is now with an hourly train from Spring Valley to Secaucus/Hoboken with a connecting train to NY at Secaucus? Will ST trains be similar in that they will operate between Port Jervis and Suffern and connect with another train at Suffern?
  by SecaucusJunction

I'm not sure even NJ Transit could answer that question for ya... its still over half a decade away.
  by ExCon90

cruiser939 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Since "topic creep" has brought us to Secaucus, is it correct to assume that C and D are being reserved for the lower-level loop platform designators? And that loop trains will normally use tracks 2 and 3, without stopping, on the upper level?
No and No.

From the lower level, the loop tracks will diverge from the existing tracks. No new platforms are planned.

On the upper level, trains will pass through the station on tracks 5 and 6 which are part of the new alignment being built into NYC.

Also, this really isn't really "topic creep" as Secaucus and the loop tracks are part of the ARC plan. Feel free to post whatever questions you have here about the project.
So (since I haven't seen any plans with that much detail) will tracks 5 and 6 be north of track 4, with no platforms--or will the tracks straddle the whole upper level, also without platforms? And is there anything on the web giving that kind of detail this early? Also, this still leaves me wondering what they're reserving tracks C and D for--or was that an earlier plan which has since been revised?
  by Taborite

ExCon90 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Since "topic creep" has brought us to Secaucus, is it correct to assume that C and D are being reserved for the lower-level loop platform designators? And that loop trains will normally use tracks 2 and 3, without stopping, on the upper level?
No and No.

From the lower level, the loop tracks will diverge from the existing tracks. No new platforms are planned.

On the upper level, trains will pass through the station on tracks 5 and 6 which are part of the new alignment being built into NYC.

Also, this really isn't really "topic creep" as Secaucus and the loop tracks are part of the ARC plan. Feel free to post whatever questions you have here about the project.
So (since I haven't seen any plans with that much detail) will tracks 5 and 6 be north of track 4, with no platforms--or will the tracks straddle the whole upper level, also without platforms? And is there anything on the web giving that kind of detail this early? Also, this still leaves me wondering what they're reserving tracks C and D for--or was that an earlier plan which has since been revised?
The two new tracks will have platforms, since not every line they're serving is coming through the loop (i.e. the M&E, M-B, NJCL [Bay Head only], and RVL). From the FEIS diagrams I believe the tracks are south of the NEC (SEE: executive summary, page 18).
  by M&Eman

Taborite wrote:The two new tracks will have platforms, since not every line they're serving is coming through the loop (i.e. the M&E, M-B, NJCL [Bay Head only], and RVL). From the FEIS diagrams I believe the tracks are south of the NEC (SEE: executive summary, page 18).
Can someone link me to the FEIS?
  by Taborite

M&Eman wrote:
Taborite wrote:The two new tracks will have platforms, since not every line they're serving is coming through the loop (i.e. the M&E, M-B, NJCL [Bay Head only], and RVL). From the FEIS diagrams I believe the tracks are south of the NEC (SEE: executive summary, page 18).
Can someone link me to the FEIS?
Here you go
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:This may or may not have been talked about elsewhere, but what will weekend service be like for the Main/Bergen/RVL lines? Will it be like Midtown direct is now with a train to NY and a shuttle train to Hoboken at Secaucus? Will PVL service be like the Gladstone Branch is now with an hourly train from Spring Valley to Secaucus/Hoboken with a connecting train to NY at Secaucus? Will ST trains be similar in that they will operate between Port Jervis and Suffern and connect with another train at Suffern?
Way too far off to determine.
  by cruiser939

ExCon90 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
No and No.

There is no track 4.

Tracks 5 and 6 will be parallel to the current station to the South with an island platform.
  by ExCon90

Thanks--I meant to say track 3. So is there supposed to be a track C and D on the lower level at some point?
  by cruiser939

ExCon90 wrote:Thanks--I meant to say track 3. So is there supposed to be a track C and D on the lower level at some point?
Nope.
  by morris&essex4ever

Is it too early to ask if NJT will use existing cars or buy new ones prior to service starting whenever?
  by ns3010

morris&essex4ever wrote:Is it too early to ask if NJT will use existing cars or buy new ones prior to service starting whenever?
They'll cross that bridge (well, really, go through that tunnel... [sorry for the bad joke]) when they get to it.
  by SecaucusJunction

morris&essex4ever wrote:Is it too early to ask if NJT will use existing cars or buy new ones prior to service starting whenever?
They probably won't buy any new cars for the service initially. They have more ML's than they know what to do with...
  by Taborite

There's 400 million for equipment listed in a footnote in the FEIS, though whether that will go toward new equipment or refurbishment of existing equipment is not stated (and in fairness, it's far too early for them to say that anyway).
  by SecaucusJunction

Maybe that number is for the dual modes? I'm not sure