• ARC Tunnel - Revisited (Again)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

Well lets hope that if NJT needs cars in the future, they continue to hold on to the Comet 3s and have them rebuilt sometime in the future. So what if they are stored for a few years, they can be sent out to be rebuilt when the Comet 4s are (if they are rebuilt......who knows anymore). It would be a real shame and waste of money to sell the C3s for scrap or even to another agency for relative pennies, and then spend 2 million each at least on new cars just a few years down the line....
  by Wdobner

It now appears from the profile view in the New York alignment map on the ARC website that the first water tunnel will definitely be below the depth of the upper three tracks in the NYPSE. This should open up the possibility of an eastward extension at one time in the future when the first water tunnel can be buttressed against nearby construction. As a result has anyone given thought to restoring the design to include four tracks on the upper level and two on the lower? IMHO four tracks on the upper level would integrate better with a potential eastward extension, be it a track to Queens and Sunnyside Yard, a NYRPA inspired loop through midtown, a connector to Grand Central, or perhaps something a bit more grandiose in scale. We're going to have to live with this project for decades to come, so I really hope we leave the possibility to maximize the impact future expansions can make on the system.
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:Is it too early to ask if NJT will use existing cars or buy new ones prior to service starting whenever?
Yes.
  by morris&essex4ever

The PVL should be like the Gladstone Branch on weekdays when ARC opens up right? 2 rush hour round trips to NY and the rest go to Hoboken
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:The PVL should be like the Gladstone Branch on weekdays when ARC opens up right? 2 rush hour round trips to NY and the rest go to Hoboken
I have no idea what makes you say that.
  by morris&essex4ever

cruiser939 wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:The PVL should be like the Gladstone Branch on weekdays when ARC opens up right? 2 rush hour round trips to NY and the rest go to Hoboken
Both lines are single track, with limited capacity. Gladstone Branch riders can change at Summit while PVL passengers can switch at Secaucus.
  by sixty-six

morris&essex4ever wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
Both lines are single track, with limited capacity. Gladstone Branch riders can change at Summit while PVL passengers can switch at Secaucus.
Or the PVL can continue going to Hoboken.
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
The reason there are only 2 trains a day are infrastructure limitations which you haven't identified (not saying that the ones you did aren't valid). I think it's safe to say that there will be more than 2 trains to NYC in the morning.
  by TDowling

Will the Main/Bergen/Pascack Valley Line service be called MidTOWN DIRECT once 2017 rolls around?
  by morris&essex4ever

TDowling wrote:Will the Main/Bergen/Pascack Valley Line service be called MidTOWN DIRECT once 2017 rolls around?
It'll be called MidTOWN Direct Version 2.0
  by cruiser939

TDowling wrote:Will the Main/Bergen/Pascack Valley Line service be called MidTOWN DIRECT once 2017 rolls around?
Who knows, who cares.
  by jb9152

Yes, and the trains that continue to Hoboken or terminate at Newark will be called MidTOWN INDIRECT (c).
  by korbermeister

cruiser939 wrote:
Who knows, who cares.
:-D i thought the same thing. with all the things that they have to worry about in order to finish this 'big dig' the LAST thing they should be worrying their heads over is what to call it when the line begins operation. sheesh
  by Patrick Boylan

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy wrote: Chapter 32

* "Well, you’re obviously being totally naive of course", said the girl, "When you’ve been in marketing as long as I have, you'll know that before any new product can be developed it has to be properly researched. We’ve got to find out what people want from fire, how they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them."
The crowd were tense. They were expecting something wonderful from Ford.
"Stick it up your nose," he said.
"Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know," insisted the girl, "Do people want fire that can be fitted nasally?"

* "And the wheel," said the Captain, "What about this wheel thingy? It sounds a terribly interesting project."
"Ah," said the marketing girl, "Well, we're having a little difficulty there."
"Difficulty?" exclaimed Ford. "Difficulty? What do you mean, difficulty? It's the single simplest machine in the entire Universe!"
The marketing girl soured him with a look.
"Alright, Mr. Wiseguy," she said, "if you're so clever, you tell us what colour it should be."
  by northjerseybuff

Any news on this project?