Railroad Forums 

• Whats Going To Happen With All Of The P40'S

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#30915  by Rail4Life

Is the P40/P42 as reliable as the F40 ? :D

#30937  by DutchRailnut

yes the P40/P42 is just as reliable as F40's.

#31082  by RailBus63

crazy_nip wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:
Also, there are plenty of Dash 7 freight units that are over 20 years old ... and even a few U-boats ... that are still in everyday freight service on shortlines and regionals.
-7's are virtually GONE from class one railroads... especially the c-truck units, which are extinct from BNSF and UP (IMHO). And there are only a handfull left on CSX and NS, mostly on work trains
The same could be said for many EMD SD50’s.
shortlines cling to whatever they can get their hands on. But even then, you will be hard pressed to find a shortline with GE products
The Providence & Worcester (recently purchased its second generation of used GE’s) says hello.

JD

#31181  by MEC407

Just because GE's early passenger locomotives weren't so great doesn't mean that the P42s won't do well.

Comparing a P30CH to a P42 is like comparing a 1975 automobile to a 1999 automobile. Sure, there are some similarities, but there are also some huge technological differences.

#31209  by crazy_nip

RailBus63 wrote:The same could be said for many EMD SD50’s.
only CSX (SBD & Chessie), CN and conrail bought SD50's in numbers

all of the CSX SD50's and most of the NS & CSX Ex-Conrail SD50's are still in service. The ones that are not, were returned because they had their leases expire. Also to my knowledge, most CN SD50's are still in service

most of the SD50's that UP actually BOUGHT are still in service

none of the other railroads bought SD50's in number (N&W had what, like 5?)
 #32298  by RailBus63

828 is the power for today's westbound #63 - passed East Syracuse at approximately 12:45 p.m.

JD

#32304  by metman499

The reason that the SD-50s are being removed from service is that the engine gulps fuel. It is not a reliability issue but that it costs more to fill up the tank, especially with todays oil prices. As much as it pains me to say this GE has a more recent track record with passenger power. It remains to be seen what EMD's answer will hold (NJT PL42s). The most relible passenger units do seem to be the old CNJ geeps, almost 40 years of daily service. Most new units have a lot of catching up to do when they are finnally retired.

#32327  by MEC407

Good point. And EMD's recent effort at competing with the P40/P42 -- the F59PHI -- certainly has not been a stellar success. Amtrak engineers I've spoken with who have operated both, prefer the P40/P42 hands down.

#32346  by Rail4Life

Will Caltran order P42'S to supplement the F59'S or get some of the stored P40'S. Looks like the F59'S are dying. :D

#32353  by Irish Chieftain

What "F59s"? Caltrain has none of those, either PH or PHI. They have MP36PH-3Cs.

And if either non-dual-mode Genesis was a suitable commuter loco, they'd be all over the country by now, I suspect.

#32354  by MEC407

I believe he was referring to Amtrak California, a.k.a. Caltrans, a.k.a. CDTX.

#32355  by Irish Chieftain

Oh, then that's a different story. Haven't they been using P42s on that service already, anyhow?
 #32362  by Gilbert B Norman

P-40 832(?) was a trailing unit in consist of #4(5)

#32405  by Rail4Life

I meant caltrans. Looks like they are in a motive power crisis with the F59'S. They should put the idle P40S to good use. :D