Railroad Forums 

• Whats Going To Happen With All Of The P40'S

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#28362  by Irish Chieftain

Thanks for the clarification.

Anyhow, I need to be more accurate in my terminology; those locos with cowls, shells and/or monocoque bodies would be called (as in the past) cab units; and, of course, there is no law stating that cab units are passenger locos strictly.
 #28372  by RailBus63

Speaking of P40's, #823 went to Toronto on Monday 6/21 with Train #63 - spotted it in Kirkville, NY at approx. 12:30 p.m. The Maple Leaf has been operating with P42's lately, typically in the low 100-series.

Jim D.

#28458  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I know, I remember taking that train back in April all the way to Toronto, and I remember seeing a low 100 series engine, 102 to be exact, but 103 (the next one up) has been also operating on the Downeaster out of BON.

#29137  by Rail4Life

Sounds like the remaining P40's are being purged from the system. :D

#30306  by RMadisonWI

Rail4Life wrote:Sounds like the remaining P40's are being purged from the system. :D
According to this year's five-year plan (as well as last year's), that is not the case.

#30309  by Irish Chieftain

Figured. Makes no sense to get rid of 11-year-old units if they work well, besides.

#30552  by crazy_nip

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, I know guys, I think those P40 units can last 25 to around 32 years, just like their predecessor F40PHs.

I think not...

NO GE unit lasts 25 to 30 years...

no GE passenger unit to date has lasted even 20 years

most gone in the 10-15 year timeframe...

#30572  by DutchRailnut

hmm the U34ch's lasted 20 years or more ??
the Amtrak P30Ch's lasted 20 years ?? getting your numbers confused ?? how bout the E60's ?

#30722  by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, that's not too good for what I though would be a good locomotive manufacturer, but I now have to say otherwise.

Wow, GE must be lucky to build such stuff, but only designed to last less than they first thought.

Hmmmm, that ain't good for them, I guess GE, unlike other locomotive builders, can't seem to make durable lasting engines while EMD makes locomotives that last 25 to 30 years for example.

#30724  by DutchRailnut

It has nothing to do with GE or EMD being better engines.
a two stroke EMD is rebuildable in field since the engine is servicable one cylinderliner at time.
The GE is more complex as a four stroke and needs a complete engine overhaul in a shop.
This advantage will slowly disapear due to EPA regulations on rebuilding engines and even EMD leaning towards four stroke engines.
And as I pointed out there are at least 3 types of Passenger locomotives from GE that I know of that lasted in 25 year or more.

#30818  by RailBus63

crazy_nip wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, I know guys, I think those P40 units can last 25 to around 32 years, just like their predecessor F40PHs.

I think not...

This is misleading - GE was not a major manufacturer of North American passenger locomotives until 1993.

Also, there are plenty of Dash 7 freight units that are over 20 years old ... and even a few U-boats ... that are still in everyday freight service on shortlines and regionals.

JD
 #30851  by Gilbert B Norman

While rightly I should defer to the GE Forum around here, sorry to say that during the "sixties and seventies", GE had one "whale of" a reliability problem.

For what it be worth, while some roads "swore by" them, most swore "at 'em".

I think I can say some thirty years after the fact, the only reason "my" road, the MILW, had any on the property was because the EMD salesman said to give 10% of the requirements to GE. How else did an order for 90 SD-40's (3000) having 10 U-30-C's (5000) dropped on the property?

How else can one explain how 150 SDP-40F's (500-649) end up on Amtrak's "property" and so did 30 P-30CH (700-729).

No question whatever, GE got the act together (disclaimer: author holds a position in GE), and now builds reliable motive power.

#30908  by crazy_nip

RailBus63 wrote:
This is misleading - GE was not a major manufacturer of North American passenger locomotives until 1993.

ever wonder why? Because they were junk. Look at the ATSF U28CG's that lasted in passenger service for less than 5 years, and then in freight service only a couple more years...
Also, there are plenty of Dash 7 freight units that are over 20 years old ... and even a few U-boats ... that are still in everyday freight service on shortlines and regionals.

JD
-7's are virtually GONE from class one railroads... especially the c-truck units, which are extinct from BNSF and UP (IMHO). And there are only a handfull left on CSX and NS, mostly on work trains

NS is already beginning to scrap their -8's too

shortlines cling to whatever they can get their hands on. But even then, you will be hard pressed to find a shortline with GE products

#30910  by crazy_nip

DutchRailnut wrote:hmm the U34ch's lasted 20 years or more ??
out of necessity I assume, NJT seems to run things into the ground before giving it up
the Amtrak P30Ch's lasted 20 years ??
actually just a tad over 15, and they were in sad shape by the time they left. They were NEVER reliable
how bout the E60's ?
yes, an absolute GEM of an engine... derailed on its trial run...