Railroad Forums 

• Whats Going To Happen With All Of The P40'S

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#23881  by DutchRailnut

Converting to dualmode is imposible, the dualmodes are completly different. 12 cylinder/AC traction/differed cooling/more electrical cabinets.

Look for some of these locomotives to appear at some commuter railroads, Amtrak does not own the units I think GE leasing does.

#23909  by Robert Paniagua

Hmmm surprising, I though that Amtrak was gonna keep the 800-series P40's but I guess they are going to sell them off then, and just do with the P42.

Mr. DutchRailnut, I guess the P32AC order may have to be increased by another 40 locomotives so that in case of overhead catenary failure in the New Haven Line, trains coming from Boston would have them so that there would be a contingency plan to haul those trains them into Penn Station from Boston via dual-mode.

Some P32's then could not only be maintained at Sunnyside or Albany, but at Boston's Cabot Shop just south of the South Station Terminal.
 #23922  by Gilbert B Norman

New one on me, Mr. Paniagua?

I always thought that was Dover Street; at least that is what the Boston facility was during New Haven days.

Oh well, will the Chicago faciltiy at Lumber Street become the "Jean Baptiste Point du Sable Maintenance Facility"?

Read all about him:
http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/tim ... sable.html

#23937  by Robert Paniagua

Actually GBN, Amtrak's Boston main yard is the Southampton St. Yard that's also known as Cabot Shops. Presently, they only house the AEM7's, Acela Trainsets, P42s, and the P40s. They do not house any P32ACDM's yet, but if the P32 order is ever increased, then Boston will be able to house some of them.

There's no other yard in Boston for AMtrak Trains, those others would be for MBTA trains only.

#23952  by octr202

What is happening to the P40's? Are they being retired? I haven't been able to find any news about this -- can someone fill in a clueless one here? thanks...

#23986  by DutchRailnut

With the downturn of mailhandeling and express Amtrak had a exsces of locomotives, to standardize the fleet they decided to store most of the P40's, with them being oldest, due for a mayor inspection and overhaul and using most fuel. some are still on Auto train and such:
see: http://gobytrain.us/amtrak/notes

P40 #800-843
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type: General Electric P40 Diesel
Built: GE 1993
Engine: 4,000 hp Diesel
Transmission: Electric

Some have been converted to some P42 specifications. They occasionally work on routes normally operated by P42’s. Following the re-allocation of road locomotives in the east in 2003 a number have been stored.

========
NA - NEC Albany Pool
817, 823, 824, 827, 828
817 was reported at Washington DC in April 2004.

The following services are worked by this group or by the General Pool or NEC P42s:
Adirondack, between Albany and Montreal (also with P32ACDMs)
Maple Leaf, between Albany and Toronto
Vermonter between New Haven CT and St Albans VT (push pull with second locomotive or cab car on other end)
Springfield MA - New Haven CT shuttle trains (push-pull with ex-Metroliner cab car on other end)
Springfield MA - Washington DC trains between Springfield and New Haven
Boston North MA - Portland ME (Downeaster) (push-pull with ex-F40PH cab car on other end)(shared also with General Pool P42s)

On cab car push-pull trains a second locomotive may substitute at times for the cab car.

For maintenance purposes locomotives working from Boston, New Haven and Springfield move to and from Albany, attached to Train 448/449 The Lake Shore Limited.

========
NS - NEC South MoW Pool (Wilmington)
814 and 837
814 and 837 have been working MoW trains around Philadelphia in April 2004. 823 was running with 837 but has now moved north to New York.

NEC Norfolk Southern Test Freights (Oct/Nov 2003) [CEASED]
NS operated a test express freight service, Trains 25A, 26A, between the Newark NJ area and Atlanta GA in late October and early November 2003. The later test runs were powered by two Amtrak P40 locomotives (with a third NS locomotive) between New Jersey and Alexandria VA. The tests have now been completed, a regular service may be established in the future. 814 and 837 operated on this service, 823 was originally assigned to this but was replaced by 814.

========
AT - Autotrain/Florida Pool (Sanford FL)
832 to 836, 838 to 843
They are based at Sanford FL and work in pairs on the Auto Train (Trains 52/53), Lorton VA - Sanford FL.
They also work other trains in place of General Pool P42s, mainly on those originating in Florida, notably the Sunset Limited (Trains 1/2).

========

No..Paint.Pool.Base
800 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
801 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
802 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
803 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
804 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
805 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
806 IV SS Stored, location unknown (not at Wilmington maybe at Bear)
807 IV SU BEE Beech Grove, wreck damage (Boubonnais IL 16 March 1999).
808 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
809 IV SS WIL Stored at Wilmington DE (July 2003).
810 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
811 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
812 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
813 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
814 IV NS WIL NEC/South MoW
815 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
816 IV SS WIL Stored at Wilmington DE (July 2003).
817 IV NA ALB NEC/New England (Albany NY). [Washington DC April 2004]
818 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
819 III ZZ Scrapped, wreck (Big Bayou Canot 22 Sept 1993)
820 IV SS Stored, location unknown (not at Wilmington maybe at Bear)
821 IV SS Stored, location unknown (not at Wilmington maybe at Bear)
822 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
823 IV NA ALB NEC/New England (Albany NY).
824 IV NA ALB NEC/New England (Albany NY).
825 IV SS WIL Stored at Wilmington DE (July 2003).
826 IV SS Stored, location unknown (not at Wilmington maybe at Bear)
827 IV NA ALB NEC/New England (Albany NY).
828 IV NA ALB NEC/New England (Albany NY). (Chicago end Feb 2004)
829 IV SU BEE Beech Grove, wreck damage (Boubonnais IL 16 March 1999)
830 IV QQ Leased to VRE Virginia
831 IV SS DPF Stored at Bear DE.
832 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
833 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
834 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
835 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
836 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
837 IV NS WIL NEC/South MoW
838 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
839 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
840 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
841 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
842 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)
843 Vb AT SAN AutoTrain/Sunset (Sanford FL)

Paint Schemes:
As delivered:
Phase III 800 to 843 (all)

Repaints:
Phase III to Phase IV: 800 to 818, 820 to 843
Phase III to Phase IV then to Phase Vb: 832 to 836, 838 to 843

Current situation:
Phase IV: 800 to 818, 820 to 831, 837
Phase Vb: 832 to 836, 838 to 843

As far as Mr RP's Idea to have spare engines sitting around, no way jose.
at 4.8 milion a pop nobody will order P32acdm's just as protect power.
and wire damage rarely shuts down all tracks, so every one has to wait their turn. nobody will even move trains on tracks that actualy have the wire damage due to hanging parts and personal all over the place.

#24026  by Rail4Life

Is VIA interested in the P40S. Can the third rail in Penn Staion be extended into Secaucus Station to allow for operation of Dual Modes in the event of an Emergency. Homeland Security should write a check for the purchase of additional Dual Modes and third rail Extension for emergencies and allow for service in the event of a catenary failure. Mr Gunn should emphasize this and use it to expand the motor pool. Its needed.
 #24027  by Gilbert B Norman

With the reported electric locomotive availabity shortage, who knows, when it will be necessary for Regionals to start changing to diesel engines at either New Haven, Phila, or both?

Better hang on to 'em.

#24031  by Irish Chieftain

As for third-rail being extended to Secaucus Junction, don't count on it. If earlier in the year the third-rail through the North River tunnels was removed, don't expect it to go back in anytime soon. Besides, IIRC, diesels can run through the tunnel on a Form D, but would not be welcome at the Penn Station platforms.

Not to sound false hope (nor rumor-monger despite what I have heard from sources I regard as reliable), but if Amtrak is procuring MP15Bs, then I daresay that ALP-46s won't be too far behind. Not that the MP15B purchase is connected in particular, though...

#24048  by RMadisonWI

We had the 838 on my Sunset Limited out of LAX on 09MAY.

It is my understanding, and my source is Amtrak's five-year capital improvement plan, available on their website, that Amtrak intends to keep thier P40s.

Currently owned: P-40-8: 43
FY08: P40-8: 43
Overhauls: 61 (i.e. every loco will be overhauld, and some overhauled twice in that time frame).

The P32-8s (i.e. NOT the dual-modes, but those ugly freight locos) will be disposed of in that time frame.

[Note, this is on page 35 of "Amtrak Strategic Plan FY04-08 - April 25, 2003" page 36 of the .pdf document]

#24050  by Rail4Life

Why was the third rail dismantled in the north river tunnels?

#24059  by Irish Chieftain

Not used, of course. It hasn't been in regular use since the catenary wire went in during the 1930s.

#24086  by Jersey_Mike

814 was in the New Haven engine pit on Tuesday.

#24108  by IslesFan

Irish Chieftain wrote:Not used, of course. It hasn't been in regular use since the catenary wire went in during the 1930s.
I thought the 3rd rail was still there so that if a NJT/Amtrak train got stuck a LIRR MU pair with a comprise coupler or a DM30 for example would go in and fetch it.