Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by myamyc72

I was in the area this past weekend and took some pictures of the on going construction, and thought I would attach it here, however I see it is to big to post. Guess I iwll have to use lower setting on camera or resize exsisting files. However construction is going well and looks like it might be up and in business by the end of this year.

Amy
  by Metro-Man101

But once the West Haven Stations is finished, Orange would want one.
  by Clean Cab

Metro-Man101 wrote:But once the West Haven Stations is finished, Orange would want one.
Maybe not. The location of the new West Haven Station is further west than the old one. I've heard that it's location was to satisfy commuters in Orange. It is very unlikely that another station will be built between Milford and West Haven.
  by Jeff Smith

As I recall, it was also an "either-or", CDOT would not do both.
  by Clean Cab

Jeff Smith wrote:As I recall, it was also an "either-or", CDOT would not do both.

Well, not quite. CDOT said it would only pay for one station. However, if the town of Orange or some other source of funding was made available, both stations would be built.
  by Jeff Smith

that's right, thanks for the memory refresh. but CDOT would also have to pay operating costs in any case, right? I know a few of you railroaders prefer the nice long run on that stretch.
  by kitn1mcc

orange does need one right off marsh hill
  by Clean Cab

It's sort of like Field of Dreams, if you build it they (CDOT) will come!!!
  by Fred G

Here's a peek at the new station progress from June 12. Sorry to be so timely :(

by Clean Cab

It's looking a lot like Fairfield Metro, don't you think?
  by RearOfSignal

Yeah it does, wish they would make the stations a little more distinguished, not so cookie cutter.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I'm sure that when this station opens up, it will be a nice one for railfanning, as well.
  by Otto Vondrak

RearOfSignal wrote:Yeah it does, wish they would make the stations a little more distinguished, not so cookie cutter.
I think they look rather nice. They are not over-decorated or over-designed. Not bad at all, if you ask me.

Anything is better than STAMFORD (Winner of the "Ugliest CDOT Station Award" six years in a row)...

-otto-
  by RearOfSignal

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I'm sure that when this station opens up, it will be a nice one for railfanning, as well.
Well that's the important thing.
  by RearOfSignal

Otto Vondrak wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Yeah it does, wish they would make the stations a little more distinguished, not so cookie cutter.
I think they look rather nice. They are not over-decorated or over-designed. Not bad at all, if you ask me.

Anything is better than STAMFORD (Winner of the "Ugliest CDOT Station Award" six years in a row)...

-otto-
True, I guess I'm biased toward the older styled stations, with and actual building for a ticket office and brick work etc. Stations like Hartsdale and Scarsdale with their artwork, Yonkers and Poughkeepsie with their impressive station buildings as well I enjoy. It just seems to me that most of the New Haven Line stations have the same feel.

I guess I like my stations with modern amenities but a retro feel.