Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ADL6009

He's another troll living in his moms basement who has nothing better to do than research OTP numbers and MTA committee meeting notes rather than go outside or on a date.
  by DogBert

Datenail wrote:Trump will be a great president. Hes the last hope this country has before it implodes. We had subzero weather and 400 bucks or not, sh*t will happen. Think of how much service this railroad operates and overall its a great service.
Uhm...

We had one night where the temp got close to zero. One. We had one major snow storm.

Commuters realize that there will be delays in extreme weather. No one is arguing that (except maybe Newsday). What they don't expect is an apparently increase in the amount of delays taking place - again - on perfectly fine weather days.

''Sh*t will happen' doesn't cut it. If I told my clients that, I'd be out of work quickly.

It isn't just the lirr - the mta is facing some serious problems with subway service these days too:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... elays.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It points toward some really bad management problems, and that buck stops with our inept governor.
  by Commuter X

At what point does the LIRR define when a train has arrived at its final destination?

When it stops and the engineer removes his key?
When it still is in motion, but passes a arbitrary point?
Something else

There could be up to a one minute delay between the top two events and for transparency it would be helpful to know exactly what is being measured

Commuter X
  by Jeff Smith

Can we tone it down a bit? I'll let LQ handle the fall out and advise. And let's try to keep non-relevant politics out. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Slippy

The numbers guy sounds much like the Doctor who commuted from Montauk whom lost his cool when the contract talk was brewing on here.

FreightGuy brings up an interesting point with seasoned commuters verses the newer ones. The newer generation have the instant gratification attitude and not letting facts cloud the issue. In this case, the issue is I pay X amount of dollars, which should guarantee me an on-time train that is clean with an abundance of seating. The LIRR is the number one commuter railroad in the country carrying some 87 million riders, running hundreds of trains everyday, with a relatively impeccable safety record is an impressive feat. A lot of people often forget those things because they take this place for granted.

Until we live in a perfect world and this agency is free of any political influence the issues will remain the same. Go vote for Bernie Sanders, he may change this place.
  by pineywoodsman

glugglug wrote:
pineywoodsman wrote: Agreed here. Some folks have legitimate complaints, but others are just spoiled. On the LIRR's Facebook I notice the most vocal group of complainers are from the Babylon Branch and often whine everytime one of their three stop flyers gets combined with the Freeport Flyers which they have to wait a full 5 minutes later for. They complain a train is packed if there are people standing (those 3 stop flyers usually dont have many standees at all). They complain if the train is too hot, too cold, or if people from other towns are parking at their station. This is the same crowd that left a train on their own a couple of summers ago when it stopped about 100 feet east of Bellmore.
Meanwhile folks on other branches who have their trains cancelled when there is a problem can wait 20-30 minutes for the next train, such as on the Huntington or Ronkonkoma branches, which are much more crowded in general. These Babylon folks get the best service, but they certainly don't deserve it. They got two of their stations remodeled (Massapequa & Seaford) while a third will start soon (Wantagh), all the while Hicksville's platforms are literally falling apart and no work done yet at all, despite probably getting more passengers than those 3 Babylon Branch stations combined.
I don't have a canopy to keep myself dry at Westbury, not even security cameras, or a train every 5-10 min in rush hour. Frequent delays due to aging infrastructure, cars on the tracks, flooding after rain.. Legitimate things to complain about, especially when service goes south and you're standing out there in the elements (or try to squeeze in a packed waiting room). I grew up in Wantagh, back in the 80s and 90s, it's a much different area now full of entitled business ppl from Wall Street with such an attitude about everything. I'm sure the crew of their trains probably don't get paid enough for dealing with these ppl.
Whenever there is a problem, people always seem to take it out on the first face they see, a train crew member. But the blame lies at the top, LIRR's top management. Yet whenever there is a public hearing about fare hikes or service changes, there is rarely a crowd. Lets see if the "wedeservebetter" crowd shows up at the next one...I doubt it.
Going by this rather amazing report put together by Patrick O'Hara compiled from 8 years of MTA data https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=566715f8 ... FslPLdoapA, Babylon line falls almost exactly in the middle of the OTP range for all the lines, not the "best". I was rather shocked to see it do that well! The best is Far Rockaway (which has the A train if things go south), followed closely by Hempstead and West Hempstead, and the worst is Port Jefferson, followed closely by Montauk & Ronkonkoma. I have to say that after subscribing to the twitter feed after this month's issues and seeing how often the Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma lines are screwed up, I am very glad to NOT be on them. We certainly don't get trains every 5-10 minutes during the rush though! In the evening they are at least close to evenly 20 minutes apart before being cancelled/combined. In the morning there are 3 ~10 minutes apart between 7:30 & 8 am, but that is with a half hour gap before them due to uneven spacing in the schedule. Of those, the 7:32 and the 7:54 @ Merrick are consistently standing room only, even if nothing has gone wrong, so I usually grab the 7:43 to get a seat.

Also, I was on one of the trains behind the one you mentioned that "self-evacuated." We were sitting there with the easternmost car of the train in the Rockville Center station for 2-3 HOURS before they announced that the 3rd rail had been turned off due to people self-evacuating and they let us out the front car onto the platform. For it to be backed up all the way from Bellmore to Rockville Center, who knows how many more hours those people were on the train. It was probably a lunch hour train that finally had enough by the evening!
Well, I'm not saying Babylon is the most reliable, but they do have the best (as in most trains) compared to any other branch, the majority of trains entering & leaving Penn, close to a third, are Babylon Branch trains. Of course Babylon is affected just like any other branch when there are problems at Penn/Tunnels/Jamaica and has trains combined. But because there are more of them, the pain isn't as bad as those on other branches. Yes I am on one of the aformentioned branches, like Huntington/Port Jeff. The Main Line seems to have the least reliability and the an insufficient amount of service. More of our trains are overcrowded on a regular basis. Ronkonkoma has it the worst in that department. There is enough service on the Babylon Line to meet demand, but the Main Line is woefully underserved. I do understand part of it is the two tracks (a third is badly needed), but they could still squeeze a few more in, if they diverted those Montauk Branch trains that run via the Main to the Babylon, it would free up some of that badly needed track space on the Main.
I'm just saying, schedule-wise, Babylon has it better than most. There are some longer gaps, but there's more trains than any other branch of the railroad, which is why the Babylon usually gets the brunt of the cancellations, which is completely fair.
I was in Bellmore and saw that train that was stuck, and it wasn't stuck there for hours. Maybe 20-30 min. Your train got stuck for hours because thats how long service had to be suspended for, to make sure it was safe to run trains again with all the ppl on the tracks.
  by freightguy

Nice to see a union rep go to bat for the workforce in reference to the January storm at an MTA board meeting. Anthony Simon brought up some good points as reported on page A11 in Newsday on 2/25/16. "Monday morning quarterbacks indeed!"
  by Riverduckexpress

ADL6009 wrote:If the engineer got into a car accident and was almost killed on the way to work, why does the public need to know this???
Equipment problem is just fine thank you.

It is an equipment problem because there is no one to operate the equipment and that is a problem.
But "equipment problem" has a connotation of mechanical problem with the train itself which is not the case here. Could the railroad have said "The train is being held in the station because the engineer/a crew member is unavailable."? It's straightforward and accurate without going into excessive detail.

I mean, I can understand the railroad wanting some discretion in its reporting to the public but I can also understand why some passengers feel like the railroad is lying to them.
  by SwingMan

It's just something else for the people to question. I don't know why it cannot just be accepted?

If I was in charge of things from the PR side, I would coordinate something like a hurricane chart for delays and cancellations. Cat 1, Cat 2, etc. In the different categories the railroad would list pre-determined cancellations/combos so that way when something happens. That way instead of being spammed by alert after alert, they post which category level it will be. It would then be up to the riding public to know each category and hopefully with time people can plan accordingly to it based on knowledge learned from each incident (heck, someone could do that with all that info already). They did something like this after they restored weekday service after Hurricane Sandy. Why not suggest that to upper management or Cuomo? Instead of trying to fix something you can't fix, find a way to make communication better. Simple, little cost to do. Heck, to save money maybe some loyal commuters could put it together! It's all out there!
  by ADL6009

Yeah but if you do this, as soon as you say "cat 2" the unwashed masses will scream "what does that mean?" And as you try to explain where to find the info they will scream even louder "I don't understand is my train cancelled? What does cat 2 mean?"
And then you are right back where you started.
  by SwingMan

Of course. There will be dense people who don't want something that will help them, instead complaining about the actual issue as if it can be solved with a snap of the fingers. If you drill an idea into people's heads, they:

A. will learn to adapt accordingly

or

B. will not learn to adapt accordingly
  by Marge s

The best way to deal with spoiled children is to say " sit down and shut up ". For years the " wench" tried to coddle and appease and it got her fired.
I suggest the MTA, in an authoritative way issue a statement of " The train is late now sit down and shut up"
  by Liquidcamphor

Gentlemen this thread is becoming argumentative and on the verge of being locked. I don't like to lock threads, so I have to insist that conversations are civil, on topic and no insulting comments to each other. Or else I will lock the thread.
  by LirrEngr

March 1st is tomorrow.... Seems the movement hasn't gain any real traction and faded. We'll see tomorrow how many of the riders quick to bash the railroad actually step up and put their ticket where there mouth is :wink: :wink:
  by MACTRAXX

LirrEngr wrote:March 1st is tomorrow.... Seems the movement hasn't gain any real traction and faded. We'll see tomorrow how many of the riders quick to bash the railroad actually step up and put their ticket where there mouth is :wink: :wink:
Engr: Monday is February 29th - 2016 is a leap year.

Yes-it will be interesting to see if this so-called "protest" comes to pass. It may help matters 3/1 being a Tuesday.

I do agree with Freightguy's observation in that long time commuting veterans know the LIRR more then the
newer commuters do. They understand that things can't be perfect all of the time and I will agree with Slippy
the thought about carrying millions of riders each year safely which is a feat in itself that the LIRR should
be quite proud of no matter if one is an employee, regular commuter or occasional user.

This makes me think of "You can't please all of the people all of the time" which fits this topic well.
These people behind this protest do not get or understand that...

MACTRAXX