• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by F40CFan

Last Friday, March 25, 2011, I saw P42 156 at 14th Street wearing a fresh phase 1 bloody-nose livery. It had the old logo on its flanks and the years 1971 and 2011 above and below the logo. It actually looked better than I thought it would.

At the north end, I saw 10020 in a shiny-new phase 3 livery. It was lettered "Sleeper".

Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with me.
  by chuchubob

F40CFan wrote:Last Friday, March 25, 2011, I saw P42 156 at 14th Street wearing a fresh phase 1 bloody-nose livery. It had the old logo on its flanks and the years 1971 and 2011 above and below the logo. It actually looked better than I thought it would.

At the north end, I saw 10020 in a shiny-new phase 3 livery. It was lettered "Sleeper".

Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with me.
Fortunately, I had a camera with me last Friday.
AMTK 10200 Pacific Bend
  by DanD3815

hm interesting, now is that going to be in regular sleeper service or is that just for the sake of a retro type display.
  by F40CFan

I read that its just for display. I wonder why they didn't give it its original Amtrak number. Nice picture chuchubob.
  by hi55us

DanD3815 wrote:hm interesting, now is that going to be in regular sleeper service or is that just for the sake of a retro type display.
I would honestly be bummed if I booked a viewliner and ended up in this sleeper...
  by F40CFan

hi55us wrote:I would honestly be bummed if I booked a viewliner and ended up in this sleeper...
Not me. The only thing I'd miss is the shower.
  by Amtk30

Totally agree. To ride a Budd-built 10-6 in revenue Amtrak service again would be a real treat!

OK, forget about no shower and the facilities thing.

Now what about a return to the 1970's red and purple decor, ha ha!

Seriously, the slpr will look very nice for the retro display train. Really like the phase III stripes.

Good marketing for Amtrak.

Amtk30
  by F40CFan

I agree, I like the phase III scheme best.

The red and purple interior scares me.
  by electricron

F40CFan wrote:The red and purple interior scares me.
What red and purple interior? Do you have a link to a photo for the interior?

Red and purple could look great, depending upon how it is done.
Without a photo, it's difficult to make a judgement.
  by MEC407

I remember a red interior on some old Amfleets that were briefly used on the Downeaster during a car shortage; I can't recall if there was any purple involved or if it was just red.

They were kind of garish. It was nice to have the blue interior cars back.
  by F40CFan

electricron wrote:What red and purple interior? Do you have a link to a photo for the interior?

Red and purple could look great, depending upon how it is done.
Without a photo, it's difficult to make a judgement.
See above, it was a scheme used during the '70s. And it was flashy, just like everything else around then. It was scary like leisure suits.
  by matthewsaggie

"And it was flashy, just like everything else around then. It was scary like leisure suits."

As a friend asked once, "How many polyesters had to die to make that suit?"
  by Gilbert B Norman

While I cannot seem to locate any photos of the Bengston Purple motif applied to refurbished equipment during the '70's at the web, likely the best source would be from Amtrak Timetables and other travel brochures from the era.

Suffice to say, it is just as well the Bengston Red, Blue, and Purple (named for an early Amtrak art director Philip Bengston), the motifs are part of Amtrak's history; possibly some may surface as part of an "Amtrak heritage" display. Fortunately, none of the equipment Amtrak acquired new as well as the cars that eventually became the Heritage Fleet had that motif. The "Chinese house of ill-repute" Red motif in which newbuilds through the A-II's were delivered, was bad enough, but during the later '70's and '80's such motif was quite commonplace in any public facility.