• Sales of SEPTA Station Naming Rights

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ExCon90

Actually, Comcast Center is the only suggestion I've seen among the various locations that would actually make some sense even without adding Suburban Station. The real-estate development called Penn Center (the first-attempted change to Suburban Station) never blossomed into what it was supposed to be, but Comcast Center looks like becoming a landmark destination which would actually mean more to more people (especially visitors) than the name Suburban Station -- hell, Temple U, Market East, and University City are all "suburban stations" in the context of the present one. Of course, the name wouldn't do for the BSS or MFL -- too far away. City Hall and City Hall-15th St. (Dilworth Park?), respectively would do for those.
  by R3 Passenger

ExCon90 wrote:Actually, Comcast Center is the only suggestion I've seen among the various locations that would actually make some sense even without adding Suburban Station. The real-estate development called Penn Center (the first-attempted change to Suburban Station) never blossomed into what it was supposed to be, but Comcast Center looks like becoming a landmark destination which would actually mean more to more people (especially visitors) than the name Suburban Station -- hell, Temple U, Market East, and University City are all "suburban stations" in the context of the present one. Of course, the name wouldn't do for the BSS or MFL -- too far away. City Hall and City Hall-15th St. (Dilworth Park?), respectively would do for those.
In my opinion, Suburban Station is appropriately named based on the Latin etymology "sub urbis stationis", meaning "station below the city". But, it may be one of those things that I picked up on as ironically having double meaning when in fact there may not be.
  by Clearfield

R3 Passenger wrote:In my opinion, Suburban Station is appropriately named based on the Latin etymology "sub urbis stationis", meaning "station below the city". But, it may be one of those things that I picked up on as ironically having double meaning when in fact there may not be.
THAT'S a great point.

But remember that the 'S' in Comca$t stands for '$', and $$$ talks.

They own NBC. They own Universal Studios. They own Universal Theme Parks

Let's see if Comca$t pulls that trigger.
  by glennk419

Clearfield wrote: The world's oldest profession might be politicians!
Some might say there is very little dissimilarity between the two professions that we're comparing. :wink: :P :wink:
  by Clearfield

glennk419 wrote:
Clearfield wrote: The world's oldest profession might be politicians!
Some might say there is very little dissimilarity between the two professions that we're comparing. :wink: :P :wink:
Prostitutes get paid out in the open (or so I'm told). Politicians get paid under the table.
  by ExCon90

Another difference is that with a politician it takes longer to find out whether you're getting value for money.
  by Clearfield

ExCon90 wrote:Another difference is that with a politician it takes longer to find out whether you're getting value for money.
:-D

Now let's get back to the topic at hand. The formal announcement about Jefferson Station should be any day now. Word is the dedication will be next week. Explains the replacement of the dim lighting with much brighter lights in the waiting area.

The real question is will the SLV's be able to pronounce Jefferson without screwing up which syllable gets the accent.

JEFFerson
jeFERson
jefferSON
  by Push&Pull Master

Clearfield wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Another difference is that with a politician it takes longer to find out whether you're getting value for money.
:-D

Now let's get back to the topic at hand. The formal announcement about Jefferson Station should be any day now. Word is the dedication will be next week. Explains the replacement of the dim lighting with much brighter lights in the waiting area.

The real question is will the SLV's be able to pronounce Jefferson without screwing up which syllable gets the accent.

JEFFerson
jeFERson
jefferSON
I'm going to guess that after the announcement is made within the next few days, the name change won't go into effect until after the new RRD timetables come out in 2 weeks?
  by BuddCar711

Clearfield wrote::-D The real question is will the SLV's be able to pronounce Jefferson without screwing up which syllable gets the accent.
Ride the SL-V on the R3 Elwyn. It can't pronounce Yeadon correctly. It goes "Next stop: Fernwood- YEE-don" instead of "YAY-don".
  by swampoodle

It's going to be an interesting week:

Attention Ladies and Gentleman: Starting today, the name of Market East Station is changing to Jefferson Station. Please make a note of the new name, Thank you.

Attention Ladies and Gentleman: Next stop will be Jefferson Station, the new name for Market East Station. Next stop Jefferson Station.

Attention Ladies and Gentleman: This is the stop for any customer wishing to get off at Market East Station.

Attention Ladies and Gentleman: Market East Station is now Jefferson Station. Next stop Jefferson Station.
  by swampoodle

Clearfield wrote:

JEFFerson
jeFERson
jefferSON
The SLVs still can't differentiate a flag or D-stop, nor correctly identify an express train... I would be delighted & surprised if they were to speak the name at all. ;)
  by Flyer78

Clearfield wrote: JEFFerson
jeFERson
jefferSON
Based on Con-SHOW-HA-kin, I surmise Jeff-FUR-sin.

And is it now the Gallery at Jefferson?
  by Push&Pull Master

It's official.
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Market East Station, the 30-year-old subterranean commuter rail hub beneath Center City, will be renamed Jefferson Station in a multi-million-dollar deal between SEPTA and Jefferson Health System.

SEPTA, Jefferson, and city officials will unveil new signs Thursday at a news conference in the station.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... rhvkQPK.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;