Railroad Forums 

• Sales of SEPTA Station Naming Rights

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1290670  by bikentransit

I'm just going to refer to it as "Reading Terminal" from now on when I buy tickets or am asked what stop I'm getting off at. If they don't know what stop that is, they shouldn't be in the railroad business.
 #1290677  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Will the new full name be "Jefferson Station at Market East" as I feel that it should?
We will all find out on Thursday September 4th...

BT: Remembering the late great Reading Terminal is a interesting idea - later this year will be the 30th anniversary
of its closure when the CC Tunnel - and Market East Station opened...

This makes me wonder how many SEPTA riders and employees today will actually know what Reading Terminal was
and for that matter what the former Reading Railroad's commuter lines mean to today's SEPTA RRD...

MACTRAXX
 #1290690  by bikentransit

Probably only the old heads know. A few times that I rode Fox Chase, I'd tease the conductor at the end of the line and ask if the train was continuing on to Walnut Hill, and I just got a blank stare. Too bad the RT Market doesn't have the funds to buy the naming rights to "Reading Terminal Market Station". Station naming is really a silly thing. It's money for SEPTA but does nothing for travelers unfamiliar with the system. Imagine renaming Ambler to some silly name.
 #1290758  by Clearfield

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: Will the new full name be "Jefferson Station at Market East" as I feel that it should?
We will all find out on Thursday September 4th...
Today is September 3rd. "Jefferson Station"
 #1290765  by ekt8750

scotty269 wrote:Just remember, SEPTA claimed the "R" numbers were too confusing for people.

Renaming a core hub station? Nah, not a problem!
The R numbers were flawed. You can't have two lines with the same number.
 #1290822  by ExCon90

The R numbers could have been fixed. A number of people suggested adding 10 to the numbers on the Reading side, which would have solved the problem. (Excuse the cruelty to dead horses.)
 #1290872  by BuddCar711

ekt8750 wrote:The R numbers were flawed. You can't have two lines with the same number.
It's not 2 separate lines. It's one line (R1: Glendside to Phila. Intenational Airport, R2: Newark to Warminster, R3: Elwyn to West Trenton, R5: Doylestown to Thorndale, R6: Cynwyd to Norristown, R7: Trenton to Chestnut Hill East, R8: Fox Chase to Chestnut Hill West). So, I've listed more than one line, but these 7 lines share a common trunk, and there are no downtown terminals. All 3 downtown stations are through stations.
 #1290917  by ekt8750

BuddCar711 wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:The R numbers were flawed. You can't have two lines with the same number.
It's not 2 separate lines. It's one line (R1: Glendside to Phila. Intenational Airport, R2: Newark to Warminster, R3: Elwyn to West Trenton, R5: Doylestown to Thorndale, R6: Cynwyd to Norristown, R7: Trenton to Chestnut Hill East, R8: Fox Chase to Chestnut Hill West). So, I've listed more than one line, but these 7 lines share a common trunk, and there are no downtown terminals. All 3 downtown stations are through stations.

But those pairings lasted all of what 10 years til they started mixing them up based on ridership. I could count on one hand how many R2 trains went from Warminster to Marcus Hook or Delaware in the later years.

Also you have to keep in mind while the Center City stations are all through stations, they tend to be the start and endpoints of most riders' trips. That's where you run into two lines with the same route number going to two different places.
 #1290992  by ExCon90

I heard the following announcement on my train this morning:

"Ladies and gentlemen: effective at 10 o'clock this morning, Market East is officially designated Jefferson Station. So if you hear references to Jefferson Station from now on, it's actually Market East."

I think actually is good.
 #1291050  by motor

In all of this discussion about "Jefferson Station", how come nobody is speculating about how many tourists will think Jefferson Station is at Jefferson Street (in Lower North Philly)?

motor
 #1291117  by MACTRAXX

motor wrote:In all of this discussion about "Jefferson Station", how come nobody is speculating about how many tourists will think Jefferson Station is at Jefferson Street (in Lower North Philly)?

motor
M: Good thought - but - Jefferson Street does not have a bus route running on it or MFSE and/or BSL stations...
If there was that confusion thought would be a possibility...

After going down to ME today 9/4 and seeing what was posted with the "Jefferson Station" name - a few temporary
signs and in the B section above the center of the main waiting area was a "drum" sign reading "JEFFERSON STATION"
and I thought that "AT MARKET EAST" could be lettered below it...

Let's see how riders accept this name change - "Jefferson Station at Market East" would have been my compromise...

MACTRAXX