• Rotem Cars Discussion (new bi-level cars)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

Looks like the Rotem Extra last Saturday never ran. Back on
for this Saturday, same coaches as posted 11/14.

D
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Has there been some movement on acceptance graduates from the purgatory of the testing line? NETransit shows the unaccepteds list shrinking from 13 to 9 over the last week.
  by ck4049

I know the 845 & 846 went into service. I'm not too sure exactly what else has been accepted yet.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ck4049 wrote:I know the 845 & 846 went into service. I'm not too sure exactly what else has been accepted yet.
846 is on the 8 car super set currently put up in Worcester facility for the weekend.

As for a Rotem move update, 5 cars are due to go to LAWN tmmw morning for an interchange with the P&W...currently in Readville in YARD 2. No On Duty time to post
  by chrisf

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
ck4049 wrote:I know the 845 & 846 went into service. I'm not too sure exactly what else has been accepted yet.
846 is on the 8 car super set currently put up in Worcester facility for the weekend.
I rode in 846 tonight on 623 out to Needham, but I don't believe it was in an 8-car set at that point.
  by Diverging Route

I believe that 1808 and 1822 have transitioned from "Accepted and at Seaview for warranty work" to "In service - North."
  by ck4049

I just noticed the 1827 is now on the accepted list too.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

chrisf wrote:
I rode in 846 tonight on 623 out to Needham, but I don't believe it was in an 8-car set at that point.
my bad, it was def a newly received 8**...I'll get the number Monday. Also, the LAWN interlocking swap with the P&W happened today. The hand off occurred at 1:15p on Track 9 in the Amtrak MOW base, and the P&W returned at 3:05p. The Keolis xtra had the 3249 as power, P&W w/ the 2010
  by ACeInTheHole

chrisf wrote:
my bad, it was def a newly received 8**...I'll get the number Monday. Also, the LAWN interlocking swap with the P&W happened today. The hand off occurred at 1:15p on Track 9 in the Amtrak MOW base, and the P&W returned at 3:05p. The Keolis xtra had the 3249 as power, P&W w/ the 2010
Xcuse the diversion but they got one of the Gensets back up? Thats news.
  by GP40MC1118

Yes, the 3249 has been running in place of the 904 on the Readville Switcher and other
Southside extras.

D
  by 8th Notch

ACeInTheHole wrote:
chrisf wrote:
Xcuse the diversion but they got one of the Gensets back up? Thats news.
They both were back up not to long ago, I used the 48 for a brief time to switch in the yard with although it still had problems.....
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

842 was the **new** Rotem added to 508/527 set in the Woo
  by ACeInTheHole

Interesting gents, thanks. Sorry for the diversion just wanted to ask.
  by dbperry

sorry if this has been discussed on this thread before...i didn't see it in the last few pages and i didn't go through all 124 pages... :-)

On Monday 1/19/15, inbound train P506 had the HEP shutdown with a 'low water indication' at the Auburndale station (Framingham-Worcester line). This prevented the 1800 series control car from being able to operate the controls for the engine. Crew was unable to restart the HEP. The only solution was to 'pipe' / shove with the conductor in the control coach calling signals to the engineer in the engine. I don't know what engine was in the consist. I'm certain that older control coaches did not require HEP for the control stand to function. So what gives? Is this a design flaw having the control stand reliant on HEP? Thoughts?

Dave
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the HEP is like an alternator in a car....charges the batteries in the control car. When the HEP goes down, especially inbound trains on long distance trains(30+ miles) the problem becomes pretty real. The batteries in the control car can't be charged when the HEP goes down. The batteries are left to their own juice, which is very little seeing as most control cars floating around have been circulating for 15+ years and even the new 1800"s can't be trusted for a train to "go in dark." The batteries charge the radio, headlights, all electronics etc. The engineer can't control the train from this position, so they must go to the locomotive and "go in reverse" and let the conductor talk him back. The go to answer in these situations is to have the engineer pipe the train in, as mentioned a few sentences ago, with the Conductor leading the move...unless there is a close train behind for a double draft or a rescue unit to cap ontop of the troubled set