Railroad Forums 

• Pullman Co Comet 1 cars.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#621675  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

Two months ago while I was at Fern Rock railfanning for 269, I was looking at the comet 1 set parked on track 0. I noticed while I was looking inside there was a dark figure making a walk through all of the cars. Every time the person got to a new car the train car made a "hiss" sound. I looked at my watch and saw it was almost time for the train to deadhead to Temple University to start it's run on the GVF. Were those the brakes to the train car that made that "hiss" sound?

Do the Bombardier Comet and Shoreliners have the same thing?
 #621682  by scotty269

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49/49 ... .4.56.html
§232.11 Train Air Brake System Tests.

(a) Supervisors are jointly responsible with inspectors, enginemen and trainmen for condition of train air brake and air signal equipment on motive power and cars to the extent that it is possible to detect defective equipment by required air tests.

(b) Communicating signal system on passenger equipment trains must be tested and known to be in a suitable condition for service before leaving terminal.

(c) Each train must have the air brakes in effective operating condition, and at no time shall the number and location of operative air brakes be less than permitted by Federal requirements. When piston travel is in excess of 101/2 inches, the air brakes cannot be considered in effective operating condition.

(d) Condensation must be blown from the pipe from which air is taken before connecting yard line or motive power to train.

§232.12 Initial Terminal Road Train Airbrake Tests.

(a)(1) Each train must be inspected and tested as specified in this section by a qualified person at points—

(i) Where the train is originally made up (initial terminal);

(ii) Where train consist is changed, other than by adding or removing a solid block of cars, and the train brake system remains charged; and

(iii) Where the train is received in interchange if the train consist is changed other than by—

(A) Removing a solid block of cars from the head end or rear end of train;

(B) Changing motive power;

(C) Removing or changing the caboose; or

(D) Any combination of the changes listed in (A), (B), and (C) of this subparagraph.

(c) Train airbrake system must be charged to required air pressure, angle cocks and cutout cocks must be properly positioned, air hose must be properly coupled and must be in condition for service. An examination must be made for leaks and necessary repairs made to reduce leakage to a minimum. Retaining valves and retaining valve pipes must be inspected and known to be in condition for service. If train is to be operated in electro-pneumatic brake operation, brake circuit cables must be properly connected.

(g) When test of airbrakes has been completed the engineman and conductor must be advised that train is in proper condition to proceed.
 #692161  by Silverliner II

*sings*

Here at Fern Rock
Parked on the "0" track
The Comets sleep today

In the sun now
Awaiting rush hour
The Comets sleep today...

#692164  by oknazevad

Oh-weem-a-weh, Oh-weem-a-weh, Oh-weem-a-weh, Oh-weem-a-weh

Hilarious, SLII
 #692176  by Silverliner II

oknazevad wrote:Oh-weem-a-weh, Oh-weem-a-weh, Oh-weem-a-weh, Oh-weem-a-weh

Hilarious, SLII
*takes a bow* Thank yewwwww!

I was on my way downtown when I noticed for once, the cab car wasn't parked with the end off the platform and I got inspired to take advantage. On the way back, I got off my train, took some pics, and caught the next one, hehe!
 #692443  by scotty269

KAWASAKI-FAN100 wrote:Push and pull Engineers does it all the time. I just wish he did that before he had the comet 1 set so I can get a pic.
Fix'd your statement.
 #692518  by ex Budd man

Before the crew leaves the initial terminal, in this case Fern Rock, they must perform a Class II brake test. The conductor watches the gauges at the rear of the train to insure than the brakes apply and release in response to train line commands. Just before leaving he also releases the hand brakes on the trailing cars, which can be heard as slack run-in as the cars bunch against the loco (Fern Rock is down hill toward center city). Once under way a running brake test is performed.
 #692524  by Jtgshu

ex Budd man wrote:Before the crew leaves the initial terminal, in this case Fern Rock, they must perform a Class II brake test. The conductor watches the gauges at the rear of the train to insure than the brakes apply and release in response to train line commands. Just before leaving he also releases the hand brakes on the trailing cars, which can be heard as slack run-in as the cars bunch against the loco (Fern Rock is down hill toward center city). Once under way a running brake test is performed.
hmmmmm putting handbrakes at the higher end of a train? might as well not put them on at all!
 #692566  by rslitman

Why do the Great Valley Flyer cars spend midday at Fern Rock instead of in the Roberts Avenue yard? Is there actual revenue service to and from Fern Rock and/or Wayne Junction? I can't tell from the Paoli/Thorndale R5 schedule - the minimal Lansdale/Doylestown section doesn't include these two stations.
 #692567  by scotty269

rslitman wrote:Why do the Great Valley Flyer cars spend midday at Fern Rock instead of in the Roberts Avenue yard? Is there actual revenue service to and from Fern Rock and/or Wayne Junction? I can't tell from the Paoli/Thorndale R5 schedule - the minimal Lansdale/Doylestown section doesn't include these two stations.
Capacity issues at Roberts Yard, that's why. The 0 track at Fern Rock would usually sit empty, so the decision was made to layup the set there. The set does not make any revenue stops between Fern Rock and Temple (where the first revenue stop is)
 #692609  by aem7

Per the Special Instructions, since that P/P set is stored on the "O" Main Track at Fern Rock, ALL handbrakes must be applied on the consist when being stored at Fern Rock.
 #692766  by Silverliner II

aem7 wrote:Per the Special Instructions, since that P/P set is stored on the "O" Main Track at Fern Rock, ALL handbrakes must be applied on the consist when being stored at Fern Rock.
And based on the number of blue indicator lights I saw lit on the train when I took that pic, I would say the special instruction had absolutely been complied with.
 #695548  by blockline4180

I'm gonna try to catch this set come Wednesday or Thursday....I'm guessing it is still assigned to the GVF??

Thanks!