• Pullman Co Comet 1 cars.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by kieran

So are the Comets running on the West Chester branch or are they going to West Trenton?

If they're running on the Pennsy side R3, I might just have to go into work a little later to see them.
  by blockline4180

kieran wrote:So are the Comets running on the West Chester branch or are they going to West Trenton?

If they're running on the Pennsy side R3, I might just have to go into work a little later to see them.

I thought they were going to West Trenton, but I still haven't received an answer on that or what train the Comet I's are used during the morning.
  by R3 Passenger

Be at Philmont around 5:30 AM, and you should see it flying by on a deadhead run.

I'm surprised that they are making it deadhead twice a day. I would imagine that SEPTA would try to limit the number of miles that set runs.
  by blockline4180

R3 Passenger wrote:Be at Philmont around 5:30 AM, and you should see it flying by on a deadhead run.

I'm surprised that they are making it deadhead twice a day. I would imagine that SEPTA would try to limit the number of miles that set runs.

Or I can wait aroud West Trenton until 6:50 pm??
  by R3 Passenger

blockline4180 wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote:Be at Philmont around 5:30 AM, and you should see it flying by on a deadhead run.

Or I can wait aroud West Trenton until 6:50 pm??
You could, but traffic is much lighter at 5 AM and you can hear it coming at Philmont. I've never been to West Trenton, so I'm not sure.
  by jfrey40535

Is that set deadheaded because of lack of storage space in West Trenton?
  by nomis

jfrey40535 wrote:Is that set deadheaded because of lack of storage space in West Trenton?
I thought it was power constraints on the Neshaminy/Yardley Substation ...
  by BuddSilverliner269

The train is deadheaded back to Roberts yard every night is because of lack of track space in west Trenton. When all pp trains got 7 cars and other trains increased in length,there wasn't enough room. From what I understand the train will just be doing the west Trenton run for the time being.
@ blockline, I didn't understand what you meant initially so now I do. I read that post after a long day at work.haha
  by blockline4180

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:The train is deadheaded back to Roberts yard every night is because of lack of track space in west Trenton. When all pp trains got 7 cars and other trains increased in length,there wasn't enough room. From what I understand the train will just be doing the west Trenton run for the time being.
@ blockline, I didn't understand what you meant initially so now I do. I read that post after a long day at work.haha
No worries, I think I understand how it all works now...Thanks!
  by Silverliner II

R3 Passenger wrote:So does the consist still contain 8 cars like it did on the GVF, or did they remove one?

Also, which bomber run did SEPTA remove a car from to put on the GVF? (Meaning that somewhere, there is a 6 car bomber set.)

Only seven cars. All the push-pull sets were standardized at 7 cars when the Comets arrived, and the Comet set has been a seven-car set since the start. There are no six-car Bomber sets. It would appear that it will be hanging out on the West Trenton expresses (D9316/6321 and 6374/D9303) and the two deadheads associated with those trains to/from Roberts for the time being.
  by R3 Passenger

Silverliner II wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote:So does the consist still contain 8 cars like it did on the GVF, or did they remove one?

Also, which bomber run did SEPTA remove a car from to put on the GVF? (Meaning that somewhere, there is a 6 car bomber set.)

Only seven cars. All the push-pull sets were standardized at 7 cars when the Comets arrived, and the Comet set has been a seven-car set since the start. There are no six-car Bomber sets. It would appear that it will be hanging out on the West Trenton expresses (D9316/6321 and 6374/D9303) and the two deadheads associated with those trains to/from Roberts for the time being.
I thought SEPTA got nine Comet cars off of NJT, which included two cabs and a non-functional car for parts?
  by scotty269

R3 Passenger wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:

I thought SEPTA got nine Comet cars off of NJT, which included two cabs and a non-functional car for parts?
There was a 5-car set, and a 7-car PP set before and I think they were evened out to 6 cars each.

http://cityscenes.net/Rail/9-15-08/5403 ... onsist.jpg

Nine total cars, three of which appear to be cabs (based on the horns). So... 5 trailers are currently running with 1 cab. That leaves 1 spare trailer and 2 spare cabs for use at Frazier.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
  by Jtgshu

Yes, they got 9 cars - 3 cab cars, one with damage from a grade Xing collision while in service at NJT, and 6 trailers. The plan as I remember it was 6 trailers, 1 cab car, a spare (operational) cab car, and the parts car (which happens to be a cab car), so they could run the 7 car trains.
  by Silverliner II

Jtgshu wrote:Yes, they got 9 cars - 3 cab cars, one with damage from a grade Xing collision while in service at NJT, and 6 trailers. The plan as I remember it was 6 trailers, 1 cab car, a spare (operational) cab car, and the parts car (which happens to be a cab car), so they could run the 7 car trains.
Correct. Of the 8 cars in service, one cab is usually a spare. On occasion, a coach was out for servicing and both cabs would be in the consist to fill out the set.