• Proposition two Transportation Bond Act

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

NIMBY's right. The legendary overcrowding on the Lex is an absolute disgrace, considering that the riders were promised a 2nd Ave. Subway as far back as the 1950's, when the Third Ave. el was shut down forever. For almost 50 years the east side riders have suffered endless broken promises. It is a travesty. NIMBY's right; this should be the #1 priority, before East Side Access !!

What I really don't understand, is why the upper east-side with it's affluent population, hasn't been able to wield enough political clout to get it done a long time ago. That surprises me.

by Long Island 7285

why not re build the 3rd ave El then, :-D

2nd ave or 3rd ave, stop dicking us around and just build the dam thing, thats the whole problem with alowing government to control these things they just dick the people around becaus there getting richer and makeing us poorer. get thegovt out and a privite business in and watch it happen in no time. govt = lies and nothing happeing.

by badneighbor

i really need to start a consulting firm so the government can throw millions of bucks my way to delay projects for years, until the next bond passes and we get to re-consult again. better deal than A-Rod has.

by Long Island 7285

DAM right!

by RetiredLIRRConductor

3rd ave el...do you know what they did with the scrap metal from the 3rd ave el? They sold it to mitsubishi, and they in turn made Japanese zero's from it! so when you watch world war 2 films, those planes were made in part from the metal from the 3rd ave el :(

by Frank

LirrConductor wrote:3rd ave el...do you know what they did with the scrap metal from the 3rd ave el? They sold it to mitsubishi, and they in turn made Japanese zero's from it! so when you watch world war 2 films, those planes were made in part from the metal from the 3rd ave el :(
I think you are talking about the 6th Ave el.
  by Head-end View

Yeah really LirrConductor; check your history books. The Third Ave El wasn't torn down until well after WWII, in the late 1950's. Even I remember it ! :wink:

by Long Island 7285

my grandfather worked security on the demonlition of the EL. he remembers putting some fire out that was started with the EL's demolition. I forgot exatly where on 3rd ave he worked though

by RetiredLIRRConductor

oops I guess I got my els mixed up :( I did read somewhere that the scrap iron from a demolished NYC El line was sold to mitsubishi to make zeros with. In fact, service ended on the Sixth Avenue el in 1938, as construction progressed on the new Sixth Avenue subway.In the early 1940's, under the Mayoralty of Fiorello La Guardia, the Second and Ninth Avenue els also were abandoned and demolished. So apparently it was the 6th ave el..Sorry about that chief... :P

by RetiredLIRRConductor

This from http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/5424.html

Uncle Sam learned a few things about wars, even "good" wars. He thought it was a joke when some said that the Americans would sell you the noose with which to hang them ... until he realized that scrap metal from Manhattan Els (elevated trains) had been sold to the Japanese and used by them to create their machinery of war. He even remembered going over to a downed Japanese Zero. "And on the engine was labeled 'Pratt-Whitney Motors, USA.'"

by CLiner2005

The Nakajima NK1C engine which was the power plant for the Mitsubishi A6M2 model Zero was a COPY of the P&W design. Nakajima attached the P&W "Eagle" plate on the engine casing of some - not all of their engines - as well as the name Nakajima in Japanese symbols. P&W never sold engines to Japan. Sumitomo Industries also built a three-bladed prop for that aircraft design under license from Hamilton Standard. The design license was issued prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Unfortunately, we did sell the scrap steel from the 6th Avenue EL to Japan in 1939.

I guess this is getting off-topic, isn't it.

by Long Island 7285

Off tipic but very interesting information that may be used else where

by Long Island 7285

How are they going to build the 2nd ave subway, is cut and cover possible, or they going to figure something else out?

and why cant the sate stop talking and actully build this ESA. wait maby in 50 years :( we got alot of studies and more fare increased to do....

just build it like the PRR would have back in the day, just get to work and plow away at it till it's done. but they seriously need to re invent the 3rd rail in GCT it's going to be much more dificult to build completly under GCT and whole new terminal. if they can re invent the 3rd rail it will save millions on the project. I really think a over/under 3rd rail is possible if some one tries to make it a reality. make it then install it some where on the GCT extension and experiment with it. adventully it will work out.

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:How are they going to build the 2nd ave subway, is cut and cover possible, or they going to figure something else out?
The SAS will be built mostly by using TBM method of construction. There will be some cut and cover constuction mostly in the building of the stations.