• Proposition two Transportation Bond Act

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

Well Weakcheaks point taken and location is changed, hope you LIRR people do a better job repairing those MU's as you do on the LIRR Diesels, they spend more time and miles being towed to repair facilities off line than they are being used in revenue service.
And glad we showed you LIRR people how to use yaw dampers on the M7's sorry your people could not figure it out ;-) ;-)

by jtr1962

If these projects are so essential (I agree that they are to some extent although I'd rather see more subway lines in Queens where they are sorely needed) the state could surely trim a few billion off its annual Medicaid budget just by cutting waste and fraud. The state spends something like $40 billion a year on Medicaid, and by some estimates up to half is outright waste plus fraud. Even if they find it's only 10%, that's $4 billion a year towards new transit projects without raising taxes or floating bonds.

by DutchRailnut

Maybe its time to re-organize the MTA and cut out waste and fraud there.
they could easely save the amount needed for this bond issue.
And re-Organizing MTA would probably keep on saving year after year.

by 4 Express

I'm against this Bond Act, although I do wish the MTA could use the surplus to help make our systems at least a little more futuristic. Especially the new JFK-Lower Manh. railink, you want service from JFK to Lwr. Manh.? extend the E or J & Z trains.

by alcoc420

I am opposed to the bond act for three reasons.

First, the number of waste projects outnumber the good projects. Every region of the State has an orgy of wish list projects that are not scrutinized as to their need, impacts, alternatives, etc.

Second, borrowing is not the way to go. What would we do 10 years from now when we identify new transportation needs that we cannot see now. We would be paying so much in debt service that we could not afford to pay for them. Bonding is better for the lenders than for the public at large. Pay as you go.

Third I doubt the projects will do much to create economic growth. In fact, in the long term the bond act may actually hasten economic decline in that the infrastructure gets enlarged to the point that the state cannot afford to maintain it.

Bigger isn't always better.

by badneighbor

we voted a few years back for a lying sack of %$# governor who crowed about raising bridges and improving infrastructure, to allow modern, higher and heavier freight into the area, including LIRR territory. More promises and money urinated away into the great abyss of lost tax money

by RTA

The MTA surplus is being used for some very worthy pragrams. The fare reduction this holiday season(and next) should spur alot of economic activity within the region. Building a deck over the West Side Yards will pay for itself. The air rights are worth a fortune. Also security will be improved, Madrid and London should show that this is not a waste of money.
Bonding is how most capital projects are paid for. If the economy in the MTA region grows, which it won't if we don't improve the infrastructure, paying off these bonds will not be a problem.
I agree that the Governer has spent too much. But this is not the MTA's fault. The MTA has done a pretty good job considering the lack of support they get from the State and the localities. Remember how the system was 20 years ago. Personaly, even with all the mistakes, I think the MTA does a good job.

by Frank

I'm voting yes on Proposition 2. The money would benefit not only the MTA but the State as well. :-)

by Clem

If you want to benefit the state, why not just write them out a check from your account. Why vote to force me to pay too?

by point88

Clem,
How old will you be in 2045 when the bond for this issue matures? Doesn't it bother you at all that New York will loose the matching funds from the federal govt. You know that out of all the transportation projects in the entire country the federal govt found that the East Side access and the 2nd Avenue subway were given the highest rating. That is with the fact that New York is a blue state in a republican run federal govt.

by Nasadowsk

the 2nd ave is need far far more than ESA is.
ESA is just an MTA/LIRR dream. The 2nd ave subway is needed far far more now.

Of course, the LAST few times we got the 'ole "Bonds to build 2nd ave" trick played on us, we didn't get 2nd ave....

With the MTA's credability with finances basically a negative number now, why should anyone believe them *now*?

by ConductorXX

Vote it down!! The Long Island is so corrupt it is a joke. Every time we pick up one of our employee newsletters, we hear about another management job which is a "Newly created position". It is a sin all the money that is wasted on non-transportaion issues. Besides that, there is corruption at all levels, station masters, terminal superintendants and yardmasters handing out overtime like holloween candy. It is out of control. If you are "one of the boys" you make the money, if not you don't. Senority has nothing to do with it. The biggest offenders are the supervisors in NY especially at evening rush hours, and some of the yardmasters. To be a "whistler blower" would ensure your dismissal. They would find a way to get rid of you, and claim one issue had nothing to do with the other. Meanwhile there are employees making over 100,000 a year, with little or no senority, because they are "one of the boys". Corruption abounds. Dont let them raise your taxes for this nonsense.

by Long Island 7285

Before we the people vote to get this done the MTA, the State, and the Feds have to PROVE to us that the work can and will be done it's clear as day that they get a passing vote then tell us all to eat shit after they take our money.

now I say well vote YES if you build it first, I say It's time we the People change the game and play some hard ball, want a vote from us in favor, then you must build it and prove that it can be done withen a deadline or your loose our vote.

Sad how before this currupt political sysyem got there hands involved that shit got done when it was soposed to get done.

by point88

How will any big infrastructure project ever get done in this state again with all of these negaitive attitudes. By the way conductorXX I made alot of overtime this year without giving anyone any payola. I just worked relief days and would go anywhere they would ask my crew to go.

by Clem

Thanks for your comments, Point. And XX, there are plenty of folks who make money without any funny business, and there are plenty of yardmasters, terminal superintendents and stationmasters who never took a dime from anyone. This I know as fact. Unfortunately, I must agree that not everyone is honorable.

As far a losing Federal matching funds -- good! That's money that the Feds woun't be sucking out of my wallet.

And Point, it's the "I'll be gone in 2045" attitude that got our Republic into the mess it's in.

Sorry guys, the spending is being mismanaged. The money is being pissed away. If they want to build something they can do it the way they used to -- either save funds, pay for it with the farebox or with general revenues. Or if it's really a good idea, maybe a private organization will agree and build it for us -- Imagine that? How quaint.

Indebtting the unborn is a monumental traversty. I proudly pressed the "no" lever, in both english and spanish!

Clemuel