• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

Jishnu wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:That would make perfect sense and your post has a lot of truth to it, however a few employees keep saying in here that Amtrak would have to certify the ALP45DP's for the current tunnels.
It's the FDNY that has to certify the locomotives for the tunnels.
Well, as far as fire safety goes. But Amtrak as the owner of the tunnels would have to do whatever it has to do to permit operation of it on the railroad too, no?
Amtrak would have to certify the ALP-45's for the entire railroad but the FDNY would have to certify them to operate in the tunnels.
  by cruiser939

Patrick Boylan wrote:By the way, I see this 'somebody has to approve diesels in the tunnel' theme quite often. Does anybody know a good reason why these dual mode units would have a problem getting approved for the tunnel, assuming they get approved for any other part of the railroad? After all they'd still be a nuisance, although not as big a catastrophe, if they caught fire outside a tunnel vs in a tunnel.
Really?

Diesel locomotives carry, wait for it, hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel in them. A flaming engine in the middle of the ROW is more than just "a nuisance", but to have a fire erupt in the confined space of a tunnel could be catastrophic.
  by Jtgshu

as a side note, there is yet another thread in the Amtrak forum of a loco catching fire down in DC..........

didn't say if it was an electric or P42.
  by darthdoosh

cruiser939 wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote:By the way, I see this 'somebody has to approve diesels in the tunnel' theme quite often. Does anybody know a good reason why these dual mode units would have a problem getting approved for the tunnel, assuming they get approved for any other part of the railroad? After all they'd still be a nuisance, although not as big a catastrophe, if they caught fire outside a tunnel vs in a tunnel.
Really?

Diesel locomotives carry, wait for it, hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel in them. A flaming engine in the middle of the ROW is more than just "a nuisance", but to have a fire erupt in the confined space of a tunnel could be catastrophic.
This is exactly why TRE and I think they should be buoyant to circumvent the need for tunnels. Just run them straight in the river, set the heading, and they pop up on tracks right near the West Side yard. New coaches will be modified for such travel accordingly.
  by Patrick Boylan

You're describing the aquatic hovercat, an idea discarded because the early experiments showed the vehicles aversion to water was so great they would arch their backs, their hair would stand on end, and with much scurrying and caterwauling, turn around and scuttle quickly back to shore as soon as they got wet. Hovercats and water don't get along well.
Last edited by Patrick Boylan on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Jtgshu wrote:as a side note, there is yet another thread in the Amtrak forum of a loco catching fire down in DC..........

didn't say if it was an electric or P42.
P42
  by R3 Passenger

.Taurus. wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Does anyone have info on how testing in Germany is proceding ???
Yesterday the first engine has arrived at the port of Hamburg via Autobahn! (source in german : http://www.schenker.de/deutsch/news/new ... okUsa.html)
FTFY: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns

I can't post a translated excerpt from Google. Jeff Smith, please forgive me!
  by Jeff Smith

R3 Passenger wrote:
.Taurus. wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Does anyone have info on how testing in Germany is proceding ???
Yesterday the first engine has arrived at the port of Hamburg via Autobahn! (source in german : http://www.schenker.de/deutsch/news/new ... okUsa.html)
FTFY: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns

I can't post a translated excerpt from Google. Jeff Smith, please forgive me!
No worries, I actually am fluent in German.
  by Amtrak7

Normally, the FRA doesn't let us use their equipment here. Now they won't let us move our equipment on their rails!

How long does the transatlantic journey take?
  by DutchRailnut

shipping direct from Hamburg would be around 7 to 9 days, but most likely a ship used for such moves roll on/off type car carrier will stop at other harbors in Netherlands or England or France first
  by kdjohnson

you know if you go to the media photos section of the art from the DB website you can see them lifting the NJT ALP45-DP on to the truck bed. That monster looks awesome. I hope it does well here in the US.
  by JoeRailRoad

kdjohnson wrote:you know if you go to the media photos section of the art from the DB website you can see them lifting the NJT ALP45-DP on to the truck bed. That monster looks awesome. I hope it does well here in the US.

Here is the view.

http://tinyurl.com/4ay8gsy

Joe