• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

Very true Semp. The Monty-Boonton Line is in absolutely beautiful shape. However, its ridership is on the whole, dismal. Something like this with express service could be very helpful.
  by cruiser939

SemperFidelis wrote:I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but service on the Boonton Line west of Montclair could be reinvigorated with the dual modes.
I've mentioned that several times.
  by cruiser939

blockline4180 wrote:That would make perfect sense and your post has a lot of truth ito it, however a few employees keep saying in here that Amtrak would have to certify the ALP45DP's for the current tunnels.
It's the FDNY that has to certify the locomotives for the tunnels.
  by hammerfang

if they let the LIRR DMs run through the tunnels what won't they allow?
  by cruiser939

hammerfang wrote:if they let the LIRR DMs run through the tunnels what won't they allow?
Other stuff...
  by keyboardkat

You know, they're talking about rehabilitating the old DL&W line in Pennsylvania for commuter service to the NY area...

How about a revival of the Phoebe Snow, but running from NYP using the ALP-45s, instead of Hoboken? I'm only half kidding. It wouldn't have to run all the way to Chicago (that would be Amtrak's bailiwick and the government isn't about to fund another passenger train from NY to Chicago). But the name could be revived, and with decent equipment, people who must live in Pennsylvania to get affordable housing but must commute to NY would have a one-seat ride...it could be a winner! Or if not the Phoebe Snow, at least a revival of the old DL&W Merchant's Limited to Scranton (as a commuter train) using dual-mode power...
  by trackwelder

anybody recall a thread on here that mentioned something like that a while back?
  by SemperFidelis

Just once or twice. The Chewbacca Cutoff or something like that.
  by R3 Passenger

Yes, and that thread was cut-off every time that the extension went that far out of New Jersey.

But that was before Jeff Smith graced us with his awesome presence. Jeff Smith rocks! :-P
  by trackwelder

ya know, jeff smith's tears cure cancer. too bad jeff smith has never cried.
  by Jishnu

cruiser939 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:That would make perfect sense and your post has a lot of truth to it, however a few employees keep saying in here that Amtrak would have to certify the ALP45DP's for the current tunnels.
It's the FDNY that has to certify the locomotives for the tunnels.
Well, as far as fire safety goes. But Amtrak as the owner of the tunnels would have to do whatever it has to do to permit operation of it on the railroad too, no?

But frankly, I don't see why they would disallow their operation when they allow those fire bomb GEs through. All of them will be operating with their diesel gensets off through the tunnel anyway.
  by Patrick Boylan

If the fire department says they're ok I think Amtrak would have to state another excuse for why they won't allow them, or at least NJT could question why Amtrak's not allowing them if the fire department said they were ok.
By the way, I see this 'somebody has to approve diesels in the tunnel' theme quite often. Does anybody know a good reason why these dual mode units would have a problem getting approved for the tunnel, assuming they get approved for any other part of the railroad? After all they'd still be a nuisance, although not as big a catastrophe, if they caught fire outside a tunnel vs in a tunnel.
  by DutchRailnut

only real concern of NYFD is fuel tanks, these engines just like the DM and FL9ac probably have a fuel holding cell inside the tank.
It acts like a big sponge and holds fuel (little leaking) so no big spill occures.
Does anyone have info on how testing in Germany is proceding ???