Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 9C1LT1

whats up Super Seis,

It's nice to hear that both of those 1500's will be going back into service! Is the Micro-Cab cab signal equipment what the NYAR engines are receiving? With the current state of finances its more reasonable to repair what we have then to purchase new engines... Can't beat those good old workhorse 645's!

Super Seis I sent you a message..
-Barry
  by mark777

I'm just curious, but a few months ago I noticed that in the New York Post, there were Request for proposals for the DE/ DM fleet which mentioned rebuilding the units along with other things that didn't make much sense. And I believe that we spoke about this in an earlier thread. But would this rebuild have anything to do with it?
  by Super Seis

mark777 wrote:by mark777 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 am
I'm just curious, but a few months ago I noticed that in the New York Post, there were Request for proposals for the DE/ DM fleet which mentioned rebuilding the units along with other things that didn't make much sense. And I believe that we spoke about this in an earlier thread. But would this rebuild have anything to do with it?
The 400 overhaul was scheduled, and has nothing to with the RFEI that appeared in the newspaper.

SS
  by Publius Plunkett

The LIRR MofE Dept is faced with losing the major overhauls of its diesel locomotives. The LIRR is currently exploring having its sister to the north, Metro-North, do the overhauls for them. Currently, the unions have made it clear to its members, that the cost of overhauling 400 is a test to see whether it is cheaper to do the work in-house, or outsource it to MNCR. Sending locomotives to MN would require shipment via CSX and the actual cost of the overhaul. The work on Engine 400 is considered at this time, well within budget and on-time as the work has progressed compared to having the locomotives overhauled by MN. Let's see what happens and what decisions are made.
  by Lirr168

Publius Plunkett wrote:The LIRR MofE Dept is faced with losing the major overhauls of its diesel locomotives. The LIRR is currently exploring having its sister to the north, Metro-North, do the overhauls for them. Currently, the unions have made it clear to its members, that the cost of overhauling 400 is a test to see whether it is cheaper to do the work in-house, or outsource it to MNCR. Sending locomotives to MN would require shipment via CSX and the actual cost of the overhaul. The work on Engine 400 is considered at this time, well within budget and on-time as the work has progressed compared to having the locomotives overhauled by MN. Let's see what happens and what decisions are made.
Why would it have to ship via CSX? Couldn't the LIRR just hand it off in the same way that was done for the M7a warranty work?
  by Super Seis

Publius Plunkett wrote:The LIRR MofE Dept is faced with losing the major overhauls of its diesel locomotives. The LIRR is currently exploring having its sister to the north, Metro-North, do the overhauls for them. Currently, the unions have made it clear to its members, that the cost of overhauling 400 is a test to see whether it is cheaper to do the work in-house, or outsource it to MNCR. Sending locomotives to MN would require shipment via CSX and the actual cost of the overhaul. The work on Engine 400 is considered at this time, well within budget and on-time as the work has progressed compared to having the locomotives overhauled by MN. Let's see what happens and what decisions are made.
All true-but I prefered not to air 'dirty laundry' on a public forum. Of course, there are a couple of fallacies involved here. The first and most obvious-MN is sending their own locomotives to GE for what is no doubt, an expensive half-life overhaul. Why ? GE doesn't work cheap (their plant is union) and the units need to be shipped back and forth.

Second-MN would need to add another shift to perform the LIRR work. Another shift of machinist/electricians trained in the repair of these EMD locomotives.

Third-LIRR has shown they can do the complete teardown in the existing shop-although in a different fashion than was planned for the (now cancelled) heavy overhaul facility. The original plan was to have a freshly built up skid assembly ( consisting of engine, main alternator and equipment rack) ready to go-and place this into a locomotive requiring overhaul. The skid that was removed would be overhauled for placement into the next locomotive-and so on. The new facility would have been equipped with crane capacity having the capability to lift the entire skid assembly.

The long and the short of it is this-the existing RH facility removed the main alternator, engine, equipment rack and skid as individual units. Problem solved.

ss
  by R36 Combine Coach

How about Alstom (MK) in Hornell or Amtrak at Beech Grove/Wilmington?
  by Ðauntless

Why not keep the work at home on the Sandbar?
  by mark777

After having worked a job not long ago involving the movement of MNR M-7's from Arch Street to New Rochelle, I would find it odd to need CSX to move the units to MNR. The LIRR can directly Deliver the units to MNR at the same location and have them move the units the remainder of the way. It would involve the movement over Amtrak rails over Hell Gate, and not needing to give the units off to CSX at Fresh Pond.

I was not aware that Morris Park had the facilities to perform an overhaul on any units, but it would seem somewhat obvious that an in-house overhaul would be less of an expense then to send them to someone else. I suppose that a mid-life overhaul is not the same as a rebuild, so the idea that I had before that the units would be sent to Alstom or Wabtec/ MPI in Boise is not happening. But seriously, if we have a knowledgable staff at M of E that has obviously worked with these units, why send them up to MNR or anywhere else?
  by Publius Plunkett

Mark, the overhaul facility is the new shop in Richmond Hill Yard. You would be suprised what they can crank out of that place if they wanted to. Unfortunately, cost is always an issue. The feeling is that a major overhaul facility within the MTA "family" exists (Harmon), so why not share amongst the kids instead of building another(Morris Park). Not being an MofE employee, over the years witnessing what they outshopped and maintained, the LIRR MofE could probably rebuild a locomotive from the ground up over an open pit track if they wanted to, so I don't really see a need to send them anywhere for that kind of work.

The CSX move is cheaper than shipment with Roustabouts (so they say). Even if it is not, paying claims due to "work rules" is not MTA Correct these days and roustabouts like you described generate those claims. That's why they will ship them via CSX.
  by mark777

This is what happens when I own regular jobs and not work the list! I havent been down by Richmond Hill/ Morris Park in ages. I have to go by there at some point sooner or later. Hopefully it all works out good and they do the rebuilds here.
  by hammerfang

What is the status of this engine?
  by Super Seis

Still at RH.

SS
  by DutchRailnut

Metro North has absolutly no room at new Harmon diesel shop for additional work, and besides the 6 GP35r's MNCR no longer has any EMD powered locomotives.
Even the GP35r may soon be repowered with MTU/Detroit 12/4000's
The rumor that MNCR will rebuilt the DE/DM 's is pure hogwash.
  by Ðauntless

Just like NY&A going over Hellgate?