Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by hammerfang

What is the status of this engine? I haven't seen it around in a while
  by Super Seis

Might be out of the shop next week-might not....

SS
  by hammerfang

Any pictures? Also, what exactly was done to it?
  by Super Seis

Out of the shop and complete. Of course, some wag in Diesel Ops. dispatched the thing before the run-ups were complete. Typical...

SS
  by hammerfang

Any pictures? What exactly was done and which engine is next?
  by Super Seis

The future direction of locomotive overhaul efforts is up in the air right now...

SS
  by break the seals

Super Seis wrote:The future direction of locomotive overhaul efforts is up in the air right now...

SS
That doesn't sound too promising.
  by hammerfang

I would imagine it is far too soon to tell if the overhaul has been effective, ie higher reliability, but what exactly was done to the engine?
  by break the seals

hammerfang wrote:I would imagine it is far too soon to tell if the overhaul has been effective, ie higher reliability, but what exactly was done to the engine?
It was pimped out with a new paint job and pink dice that are hanging from the overhead headlight switch. They also decked out the cab with giant sub woofers and a few flat screen televisions. :wink:
  by hammerfang

I'll keep an eye out for it on MTV....

On a more serious note, does anyone know what they did to it?
  by break the seals

hammerfang wrote:I'll keep an eye out for it on MTV....

On a more serious note, does anyone know what they did to it?
All i heard was it has brand new trucks, the 12 cylinder 710 engine was taken out and completely rebuilt, It has a brand new main gen, and it was repainted.. I'm sure there's more to the story. But to me, all that matters is that it's in revenue service...
  by M1 9147

Saw 400 on the rear of 651 at St. James today, and from what I see looks like there is a rebuild of the underframe where the Yaw-Damper is as I can see red steel in the area of the truck/Gas Tank area. Someone can elaborate on my meaning a little better on it if they noticed it as well.
  by Super Seis

Gas tank????

The red that you noticed are probably the new spring seats for the primary springs. I can guarantee that not one single THING had any paint applied.

Add a new turbo, turbo clutch and associated gear train to the list.

SS
  by freightguy

It's quoted in Metro North's "On Track" quarterly publication about the expansion of Harmon shops and Long Island Rail Road work being performed there. On the flip side when Hillside was opened it was going to perform service on Metro North's M fleet also. I guess time will tell....
  by LongIslandTool

MetroNorth is the winner in this battle.

Their shop workforce is lower paid and more efficient. That is why the Long Island work is being sent there.

Traditionally, up until a few years ago, the productivity on the Long Island was far greater.