Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by hammerfang

Have any locos been sent up to MetroNorth yet?
  by DutchRailnut

no, LIRR power has been in Harmon yet, other than the FL9ac's.
  by Datenail

Months ago, I mentioned that the LIRR intended to outsource its diesel overhauls to MNCR. Dutch Railnut and others attacked my comments as rumor and that it will never happen. I hate to tell you I told you so, but, was I spreading a rumor? It is a fact, that the LIRR intends to ship its diesels to MNCR for major overhaul work. The LIRR MofE Dept. personnel wanted to show the LIRR that they can do that work in house and within budget. This is why the overhaul of Engine 400 was so important to them. They did a great job and it didn't go unnoticed. Unfortunately, whenever public funds are expended for a project, there has to be justification. Harmon was built with the same goals as Hilliside shops. In house work and taking on outside agency work. The LIRR Hillside shops have worked on LIRR, NYCTA and MNCR equipment and components. Why is it such a suprise that MNCR would work on LIRR equipment and components?
  by DutchRailnut

At ease Datenail, take your medication, I only answered than no LIRR engines have gotten to Harmon YET.
  by tun

DutchRailnut wrote:At ease Datenail, take your medication, I only answered than no LIRR engines have gotten to Harmon YET.
Doesn't change the fact that you called the idea hogwash in the past.
  by DutchRailnut

I still do, we call it gospel when first unit gets to Harmon, untill then, its just a goofy Idea by someone in MTA that is not yet executed.
Harmon is not EMD shop and other than old 567 technology the shop is loosing talent fast due to retirements etc.
  by break the seals

Will the lirr begin to cut the mechanic workforce as a result of the engines being sent to metro north?
  by Super Seis

Only the 400 has been overhauled.

As usual, a whole host of questions come to mind.

Is Harmon going to take in outside overhaul work-while the assigned GE locos continue to be sent out for the same work-at great expense ?

By all acounts, Harmon would need to add a shift and TRAIN them, purchase tooling and solve a whole host of logistics problems in directing material to the right locations.

In turn, have the various new support shops (air brake, A/C) scheduled for Harmon been cancelled ? Is this work going to the LIRR Hillside complex, which is already tooled up to perform this work-and does so every day.

Seems to me that MTA upper mgmt. is flogging this horse today on account of their failure to negotiate for and put in place 'system shops' many years back.
Plain old political posturing.

SS
  by hammerfang

saw 400 on the west end of a train going through Floral Park around 6:30 last night.
  by craftsmaster

Super Seis wrote:400 has been completely torn down in the backshop for overhaul. First one that has been done to this degree.
That's reasonably enough actually. Other charges above 4 figures.