Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Super Seis

400 has been completely torn down in the backshop for overhaul. First one that has been done to this degree.
  by SwingMan

Wonder if she'll get some new paint and/or some things to choke the horn......
  by M1 9147

And the first DE30AC to be delivered! Wonder what will actually come about this when complete. Hope that original look (well horn placement) would come about the correct way but doubtful!
  by hammerfang

How long will this take to complete and what exactly are they doing?
  by hammerfang

matt91 wrote:Hopefully this means no more lemon DEs and DMs if they all get overhauled. My question is why not just have all DM locos?
Interesting question, but if I had to guess it would be because of the cost.
  by M1 9147

I'm thinking that the DE's will have the work done first, then the DM's! DM's need lots of work done hence should have the Dynamic's disabled when hitting third rail gaps so that they can run in E-Mode with just 1 engine. This is gonna be interesting to see what will be happening here!
  by Super Seis

Why the 400 ? Simple answer-it is the oldest one.
M1 9147 wrote:I'm thinking that the DE's will have the work done first, then the DM's! DM's need lots of work done hence should have the Dynamic's disabled when hitting third rail gaps so that they can run in E-Mode with just 1 engine. This is gonna be interesting to see what will be happening here!
Huh ? Maybe you should try for a job with Siemens-

SS
  by hammerfang

I understand that 400 is the oldest motor, but weren't they all delivered in a relatively short time span? Also, wouldn't you want to rebuild the motor with the most hours/miles on it first? That doesn't necessarily mean that 400 should go first.
  by M7 Warrior

As an M of E electrician , I worked on the M1 propulsion rebuild program at WSSY. The cars were not rebuilt by time ,or mileage the cars that were rebuilt were the " problem children "of the fleet the ones with the most recurrent propulsion problems. The 400 was used for alot of the initial mods done to the DE30 fleet. So the possibility exists that for further standardization or to just straighten out the fleet from the first engine onward.
  by R36 Combine Coach

M7 Warrior wrote:As an M of E electrician , I worked on the M1 propulsion rebuild program at WSSY. The cars were not rebuilt by time ,or mileage the cars that were rebuilt were the " problem children "of the fleet the ones with the most recurrent propulsion problems.
Was the the CCM program?
  by Super Seis

The engine out of the 400 had some serious mechanical problems.

SS
  by hammerfang

Does anyone have pictures of the rebuild? Also, I wasn't aware that heavy duty work was performed at the WSY. I was under the impression that routine servicing/cleaning was performed there while the cars were in storage.
  by SwingMan

hammerfang wrote:Does anyone have pictures of the rebuild? Also, I wasn't aware that heavy duty work was performed at the WSY. I was under the impression that routine servicing/cleaning was performed there while the cars were in storage.
They have a shop down there, like a small version of the Hillside shops.
Yes the cars may get a little bit cleaned but they don't store most trains in WSY for very long.
  by M7 Warrior

Yes I worked on the CCM program a great project to work on.
  by Super Seis

153 is in the backshop receiving a new AR-10 and other work. 400 is slowly going back together. 165 is getting Micro-Cab cab signal equip.

SS