Railroad Forums 

• Blue Line 0600 Tracker (Hawker-Siddeley) RETIRED

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#753562  by ck4049

MBTA3247 wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:The Green line has two problems. One is the configuration of the cars with the trucks at the ends. The centers won't clear on some curves. Additionally, the cars are too high for Beacon Junction. Sorry, John. Odds 200-1
I thought the Green Line and Blue Line tunnels had the same clearances. Is that not true?
The reason the cars are so short on the blue line is because it used to be a streetcar tunnel. (Odds 10-1)
 #753699  by CRail

madcrow wrote:How hard is it going to be to replace the pantographs with trolley polls?
The pantographs are not going to be replaced, they will be left on the car. I've devised a plan to elevate the pole base above the height of the pantograph using sections of a resistor grid bank frame (part of the existing roof equipment from another car). They will be cut down to a much shorter length and mounted on the rooves in the (incredibly convenient!) open space between the pantograph and the lightning arrester. The frame will be covered with spare panels so they will match the resistor bank, this is so that even though it's not historically accurate, it still looks right. It will basically be a short version of what is already on the top of the cars, with a pole sticking out of it. We will use Philadelphia poles which are 7 feet longer than regular poles (15 foot standard, Philli poles are 22') since the standard pole would land dead center on the pantograph (figures). The pole will reach over the pantograph and end above the coupler between the two cars (see our New York trains for example). There are a couple concept ideas kickin' around to convert parts of Seashore's overhead to be pole/panto compatible, so as a provision the pantos will stay!
Philip Wirth wrote:Does anyone know what the story is with 0652/0653 and why they are still on the property and operable?
These cars were at one point (and probably still are, I just don't know for sure) desired by Homeland Security. They already have an Ex-MBTA LRV hidden in a mountain cave somewhere which they fill with smoke for rescue drills and training. All remaining #4 cars on site are operable (except 0618/0619), and cars from this fleet are used nightly on the work train. They are to me maintained to operating standards in the event of some sort of widespread failure with the #5 cars. The notice written to Blue Line personnel announcing their retirement did not include the cars being kept. It declared the scrapped cars retired and prohibited the cars from use in revenue service without permission from the proper authorities. It is not likely for any of them to see service again, but it is certainly possible since, again, Orient Heights is required to keep them all ready to be thrown in service at any time (for now).
 #759552  by R36 Combine Coach

ck4049 wrote:
sery2831 wrote:I would love to see a fleet of work cars made from this fleet. They could be all customized for different duties and in theory be used system wide. How cool would it to be see a Hawker come through Park Street on the Green Line?
Mow, that would be funny and worth getting a picture of.
ck4049 wrote: The reason the cars are so short on the blue line is because it used to be a streetcar tunnel. (Odds 10-1)
It's not that implausible for the 0600s to become work cars since similar PATH PA3s are already work units. You can expect more of them to do so as the PA5s are delivered.
 #772134  by ck4049

[quote="CRail"][quote="madcrow"]How hard is it going to be to replace the pantographs with trolley poles?The pantographs are not going to be replaced, they will be left on the car. I've devised a plan to elevate the pole base above the height of the pantograph using sections of a resistor grid bank frame (part of the existing roof equipment from another car).

We should probably do the same thing with the 3424 so the poles can go over the A/C units.
 #772507  by rhodiecub2

How many 600s are in active service on the Blue Line? Is the T going to transfer any of the 600s to the Orange Line?
 #772515  by AEM7AC920

rhodiecub2 wrote:How many 600s are in active service on the Blue Line? Is the T going to transfer any of the 600s to the Orange Line?
There are no 600's running in active service on the blue line any longer . No 600's will be sent to the orange line as well the T decided not to because of issues with corrosion and wear and tear etc..

Check
http://mysite.verizon.net/rtspcc/MBTAroster.html
 #772524  by CRail

20 remain at Orient Heights, they must be maintained to operational standards but are not used in service. They're still used every night for the work train, but they don't carry passengers anymore.
 #773400  by CRail

I'm very sorry to hear that. At least there is one pair that has a lot of life left in them! :wink:

Are they still using 0652/0653 as a tow horse in the yard? They seemed to love that pair when Seashore's cars were being loaded. I guess they were in stellar shape mechanically (the bodies were horrible, though).
 #773481  by RailBus63

I’m not quite sure why, but I find it hard to get worked up over the retirement of these cars. I think it has to do with access. For over 25 years, that all we rode on the Blue Line. Their looks never changed over the years (other than to get dingier and rustier). Once I got my photos at a location, I didn’t feel much need to go back unless the station was rebuilt. It also doesn’t help that the Orange Line 01200’s ride and sound exactly the same.

By comparison, the Boeing LRV’s had dropped to second-tier status on the Green Line by the 1990’s. They never appeared on Huntington Ave. after the Type 7’s took over, became far more rare on Commonwealth Ave. by 1998 or so and were rush-hour only on the Riverside line. Visually, they became more interesting with the two different types of rooftop A/C units appearing in the 1980’s and the rehab program with the white folding doors a decade later. Some cars also received newer rollsigns over the years with different destination readings. All of those factors just made the LRV’s much more interesting as they aged.
 #773653  by CRail

I don't know what it is to me, but the blue line cars are far better looking to me than the orange cars. Maybe it's just the color, or that I favor the blue line over the orange because of all the times I've had the displeasure of riding the orange. Could be the dual mode power reception, not sure... but for some reason, the 0600's are a lot more dear to my heart than the 1200's. Not that I won't miss the 1200's when they go, but losing the #4 Blue Line cars seems to hit me harder. Again, I don't know why. It's kind of like the RTS, when they were taking over and the Fishbowls and Flyers were disappearing, I hated the RTS. Now that they're the ones on the chopping block, it's sad to see them go. It's a cruel hobby, you don't know what you've got till its gone. I think I'm getting a little carried away here, I shall digress.